Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot History

LukeFRC

So if I want to know about, say Status basses I can go to the statii forum and resources and find knowledgeable people and catalogues. Similar exist for other makers with their own forums or websites ...

Trace Elliot - where's the info on them and their history and different old models to be found? I've seen SM, SMX, Series 6, red stripes, no stripes, funky port plugs and no idea what order it all came in and what's the good stuff and what's not!

Trace Elliot originally made P.A.s. They branched out into bass amplification with the introduction of the GP11 preamp, I think that's what it was called. This was married to one of their PA power amps. The speakers were the same PA speakers that they were already building.

I remember going to their factory many years ago and spending a few hours playing around with GP11 and various combinations of cabinets. Eventually I managed to get a sound that I quite liked but as it was pretty close to the sound that I already had there didn't seem a lot of point in changing to TE.

More info here:- http://traceelliot.weebly.com/

• 1 year later...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1397995664' post='2429293']
There's a bit of the story about the end of Trace Elliot [url="http://www.globalbass.com/archives/dec2000/mark_gooday.htm"]here[/url].

Interesting article to boot.
[/quote]

It's kinda contradicted by some of the info on this page though. Curiously, he doesn't mention Clive Button anywhere.