Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever seen a condescending advert for a bassist?

Greggo

It's always best to be honest about what you really want. I've seen plenty of adverts for guitarists that specify they don't want applications from Steve Vai , and wanted ads for drummers that recommend that Jeff Porcaro wannabes look elsewhere, so why should bass be any different? Most people, including other musicians, hold the bass guitar in fairly low esteem anyway , and the only thing they deride more than someone who can't play very well is someone who [i]can[/i] play very well.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1397925440' post='2428724']
I can't see any problem with the advert.
[/quote]

I see the 'root notes only' thing if it's being used with a genuine understanding as a pretty closed off musical mind, that to me is a serious problem.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1397925669' post='2428726']

I see the 'root notes only' thing if it's being used with a genuine understanding as a pretty closed off musical mind, that to me is a serious problem.
[/quote]
To me it reads as slaphappy lack of concern for the song need not waste every one's time - if that doesn't suit then don't apply. No problem.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397924479' post='2428713']
Two good tracks, in my opinion.
[/quote]

Have you heard the bonus tracks? They're as good as anything on the album, really worth a listen IMO.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1397925669' post='2428726']
[/quote]

No more closed off than not accepting that, for some music, root notes may be all that is required to do the job.

In some outfits, it's the bassist who is there to decide what the song needs; in others, it's the composer or band leader. It would seem from the ad that it's the latter for that band. At least it's clear from the start, so no problem. :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397919434' post='2428650']
The Emperor has got no clothes on ! Bowie hasn't made a decent album since Lets Dance, but he does still turn out the odd decent track that makes you realize what we we all missing out on . Should try harder , and could do [i]so much[/i] better.
[/quote]
[quote name='Spaced' timestamp='1397920634' post='2428665']
Come on, I haven't liked anything since Tonight but The Next Day is an absolute quality album!
[/quote]

yes this - all that tin wotsit thingy was bloody dire with only a handful of decent songs scattered in amongst what is undoubtedly a very bland portion of his catalogue from earthling to reality but next day is rather good imho mcton etc if he follows his track record then hopefully next day will be the first of another run of good albums

which leads me on nicely to a lame excuse to post my favourite track from said long player ... the tension in this track is palpable :o :ph34r:

[url="http://youtu.be/ROYKdwUba2k"]http://youtu.be/ROYKdwUba2k[/url]