Why become a member? ×

Double bass, EUB? or stick with the Rob Allen

Legion

I'm a little unsure where to go next so hoping for a little advice....

I currently have a Rob Allen MB-2 which is a lovely bass. Sounds warm and woody, is lightweight and easy to play. As there is a valid point that a tiny minority of basschatters ever post recordings or talk about playing I thought I'd do a very quick recording of the RA to show what it sounds like (this is through the PJB amp, miced up, all very basic as I don't have any fancy recording gear). Excuse the imperfections :) This also shows why so few people might not like to post recordings, because we might see ourselves as crap!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/sakura-1-1/rob-allen-mb-2-test"]https://soundcloud.c...allen-mb-2-test[/url]

So, having playing double bass before, but never amplified I'm not sure how much different it would sound once I've attached a pickup of whatever type and put it into an amp? This is without all the considerations of what strings to use, what pickups to use, what amp to use etc etc.

I do understand however, that the double bass by its very nature leads to certain playing style (one of the things I miss, although I think having played one before I can carry a little of that "feel" over to the RA). So another thought is EUB's...could that be the answer to a nice DB sound (and playing style) but without the hassles of the real thing?

By the way - here is the original track I'm 'attempting' to play
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKQuwAmIVKA[/media]

My options include cheap but serviceable Double bass, Clifton EUB and Turner Renaissance acoustic/electric. The Clifton is the most versatile - plays like a double, uses regular strings (of whatever flavour) and pickup of choice. Lacks the character and quick decay of a real acoustic bass, but works in most real world settings without most of the hassle of an acoustic. No feedback issues on loud gigs, easier to transport and tough. But its not an acoustic.

The Turner is a lot like the Rob Allen..and its a third choice (with Thomastik flats). Its a bit flat and boring to me, has some ergonomic issues (very light and easy to play, but top heavy) but I often get compliments on its sound from the audience - never really worked that one out!?

Not much help really, but to me it just comes down to logistics and volume requirements for the gig.

BassBod - thanks for the musings, always welcome. I suppose most of the time I would be able to get away with playing a DB acoustically (which is how I used to use one exclusively). I realise that if things pick up with this project then gigs are pretty likely, at which point it might become necessary to amp up.

Hmm...

Sounds like you aren't expecting stage volume to be an issue - in which case an acoustic double can work fine. Pickups and preamps are much better, and stage monitors can often replace the traditional backline.

The best system seems to be a pickup and small amp/monitor for stage sound, and a mic running (only) to PA. The pickup can also go to the PA, and be used to reinforce the mic if needed. Bit of a luxury, but that seems to be most flexible and workable way of getting all the sound.

Happy musings...

I play an electric fretless (most recently, Veillette Archtop or P bass) and an EUB (BSX Allegro) at virtually every gig. The EUB is really easy to set up and switching between the two is easy. The BSX has a built in active preamp so no issues at all with onstage sound, and it does a very good facsimilie of a real upright (probably because it is, in essence, a small-bodied DB).

The biggest difference I notice when switching between the two is the greater energy from the EUB - it just sounds huge - presumably because of the longer scale and greater string mass.

Not sure if this helps :unsure:

HI Mate, your playing on that soundclip sounds fine, good intonation, what would you be most happy playing? I watched a band a few weeks ago and the guy playing the Double had a cheapish bass i think and looked to be using a bassmax pickup and a low action, it sounded worse than your Rob Allen, if you get a double make sure it has a decent acoustic sound to start with.

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1397917727' post='2428628']
HI Mate, your playing on that soundclip sounds fine, good intonation, what would you be most happy playing? I watched a band a few weeks ago and the guy playing the Double had a cheapish bass i think and looked to be using a bassmax pickup and a low action, it sounded worse than your Rob Allen, if you get a double make sure it has a decent acoustic sound to start with.
[/quote]
Hi Jez - thanks for that, useful feedback to hear that the Rob Allen could sound better than a not so good DB setup. Probably helped by the lack of variables that could impact it. Primarily I'll be playing it acoustically so that it would need to project nicely and have a good bit of volume.
In answer to what I am most happy playing...I'm not quite sure yet as I've not managed to get my hands on a nice DB (or EUB) for comparison.

I personally would rather play a double bass but wouldnt want to play something that didnt sound decent and it can be very frustrating amplifying it, but theres something very satisfying in playing the double bass even if its only simple, ive recently been playing some country/bluegrass which is mainly root n fifths but when you get the groove happening its just great, and i think a big part of that is pulling the sound from an acoustic instrument and the look!

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1397925610' post='2428725']
I personally would rather play a double bass but wouldnt want to play something that didnt sound decent and it can be very frustrating amplifying it, but theres something very satisfying in playing the double bass even if its only simple, ive recently been playing some country/bluegrass which is mainly root n fifths but when you get the groove happening its just great, and i think a big part of that is pulling the sound from an acoustic instrument and the look!
[/quote]
I'm with you on this - which I why I felt so set on getting a proper DB again after I tried out the old hofner recently. Incidentally I followed up on a similar bass on gumtree recently only to find out that is was actually [u]that[/u] bass (after some work had been done).

I got quoted about £1200 for a Strunal 5/21, set up to my liking and sent from Czech republic (directly from Strunal) and I think I might end up going that route soon.

Edited by Legion