Why become a member? ×

Wunjo's Bass centre - Great service and NBD!

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Just to give a shout out to the guys at Wunjo's today. Many a time I would browse their excellent selection in the knowledge that I rarely buy new instruments, today being an exception. I generally dislike shopping in stores as I am very aware of my lack of skill and can get a bit shirty at times to the wrong type of sales person. These guys however have always had a friendly wave and word for me when I come by even if I haven’t ever bought anything from them. They didn't put me under any pressure and left me to my devices which is the way I prefer it!

Recently I have sold all of my basses to get myself out of debt (Which I am now definitely out of). I had a potential £1000 burning a hole in my pocket, but wanted to not spend so much if I could help it.

What caught my eye in the shop today was a Fender Modern Player Jazz 4 string in 2 tone burst and an Ibanez ATK 800, I raised an eyebrow and was told I can try anything I like. I thanked them and decided to come back later when things had calmed down.

An hour later I was strapped in through a reasonable Fender Rumble with thank god an overdrive feature! As usual I turn myself right down as I tend to think bassists in shops are generally far too loud.

Fender Modern Jazz, DARK sounding. Much darker then I would have thought, the bass was medium to heavy weight and felt a bit ungainly. I usually love gloss necks, but didn’t get on with this one. A real pity because I love the two tone sunburst satin finish.

Ibanez ATK 800. Very low action, maybe a tad too ambitious of a setup for the bass, Neck was nice and thick, frets felt a bit sharp. Unfortunately it couldn’t quite cop an Economy Stingray tone I was hoping it would do.

Now in-between plugging in those basses I spotted a Squier Affinity Jazz bass in lovely Burgundy mist. I love this colour and I have had cheap basses which have been pretty good in the past. Had a price tag of £195. Thought I would have a go and see how things have come recently in the low end Squier market, knowing how brilliant a CV Jazz are. My word, the sound was much brighter than the other two basses, the neck, whilst slim and usually not my thing, was very fast, the action was pretty good, frets were perfect, no sharp edges. Tuners held tune even after moderate string bending, nut was cut perfectly. Neck pocket is TIGHT. Alright the bridge is a bit naff but works perfectly. What struck me most was how LIGHT the bass was. The body is thinner on the Squier Affinity series and you can definitely tell on the old back department, having just gotten rid of a Gibson Grabber which was also lightweight, this really caught my attention.

Tried it again after the ATK and I was sold. Lightweight, great colour, played better than the other basses I tried, sounded more my style with minimal tweaking, fit and finish is second to none.

I took her home, as usually I didn’t try to haggle, if I felt I needed to haggle when I would not have been 100% sold on the bass and I wouldn’t have bought it. Came with a gig bag and a 2 year setup and warranty with Wunjos. The bass really satisfies my Rage against the Machine itch.

When I got her home I took the strings off, conditioned the fretboard, polished her up and set about lowering the action. The neck was perfectly straight so I lowered the bridge saddles and set intonation. THE BASS ACTION IS 2MM at the 20th fret and DOES NOT FRET OUT. Seriously this thing is a freak of nature! I have never owned a bass that goes to this low of an action! This rivals Ped's Vigier Passion 2 with a Carbon graphite neck.

At the shop one of the guys asked me whether I was going to modify it, I was fully considering a Maple neck at some point and tuners, but really I think I'll keep her as it is! Likely I will change the electrics and pickups. Maybe the bridge though considering how amazingly it plays I might withhold on that. Going through my VT bass Deluxe and cheapy PC speakers, this thing growls! Cheap pickups which make it sound a bit undefined but still!

So, I am mega happy I challenge anyone’s VM or CV bass up against this little Affinity. Heck most Fenders as well.

As well all know, these threads are useless without photos...

(Still soaking in the lemon oil)

So it has been a good day and this will keep me in great stead until my customs show up! I felt bad for the guys at Wunjo that I chose the cheapest thing I tried!

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1397848655' post='2428006']
Looks great. Super colour. What did you use to condition the fretboard?
[/quote]

Ernie Ball Wonderwipe fretboard conditioner. I was given some free ones at the London Bass Guitar show. The rosewood comes up a treat!

Well, it just had to happen, hadn't it?
Since you bought this Eldorado, I mean.

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/CadillacEldoradoBiarritz1958_zps2e76db0d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/CadillacEldoradoBiarritz1958_zps2e76db0d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Congrats with a luvverly bass! I hope she serves you well,
Oh, and thanks for the inspiration. I need to sell all my basses as well.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1397847603' post='2427992']

[/quote]

Looks lovely ! what year is it? even some of the squiers can be hit and miss too - i saw a blue affinity J identical to mine in Wunjos a while back that was new but the finish was nowhere near the quality of mine which is 2009 - form what can tell from your pics this one looks rather nicely finished

bring it along to the south east bass bash and we can set up out own little budget corner lest our lovely squiers should be contamined by the proliference of kingbasses and various other fad gadgets :)

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1397860227' post='2428129']
Doesn't feel as substantial as a Fender branded one, but I guess that's just a difference in the materials they're made from.
[/quote]

would agree with this too but with some replacement pups they can sound way above their true price range

here's mine complete with scratchplate that makes it look like i smoke 80 a day :lol:

Clear guard anyone? Might get Bass doc to make one. Rout is not perfect but still wont show much!

Just ordered a kiOgon Alpha Mini electronics harness, 2 250k V and 1 500k T as well as a full brass sheilding kit!

Edited by Shockwave