Why become a member? ×

Hotone Audio ThunderBass - 5W SVT 'Clone'

Jack

Has anyone seen these?

[url="http://www.hotoneaudio.com/nanolegacy/thunderbass.html"]http://www.hotoneaud...hunderbass.html[/url]

Tiny, 5 watt, SVT-inspired head. Their guitar amps get pretty good write ups and retail for £99. Does anyone have a release date or know anything else about them? I must confess I'd quite fancy one of these, it might make a decent practice amp with my Barefaced Midget.

Edited by Jack

It's one of those that could be worth a punt, but by the time you add a speaker you don't really get much benefit from a space perspective.

When you look at it once you add another £100 for a cab it's almost worth dropping an extra £100 on one of the SVT-CL mini rigs. At least that would service the living room and the stage if required.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1398877264' post='2438594']
doesn't the SVT preamp have about 7 valves in it? how they fit all them and a power amp in there?
Caitlinbread SFT is quite a good little (solid state) version of the SVT
[/quote]

I'd guess they're not using valves, as surely the word "valve" or "tube" would be all over their marketing copy and they'd have the inevitable LEDs behind them to make 'em glow brighter...

• 1 month later...

I REALLY want one!

I've been in touch with them on FB to see who is supplying them here in New Zealand.
Waiting for a reply from their Aussie supplier...

May just have to get the folks to get one from Thomann and get them to chuck it in with the rest of my stuff when they send it out here

Like many I had assumed it was tube. Whilst I'm sure it's still a fantastic product, I would be more tempted to plump for an Epi Valve Junior. I suppose the advantages to the Hoe-Tone / Hot-One are the extra features and the bass-specific voicing.

I can't imagine it will be loud enough to do anything apart from practice or low volume house jam with friends ....... I personally would save my cash and buy a more expensive phil jones bass buddy instead because it does the same thing but it can be use as preamp only.

5w.....Solid State.....for bass? I could see 5watts for a tube bass amp, but SS, hmmm.

Just looked it up. It's class AB, meaning tube amp I believe. It sure looks like it with all the venting built on top.

Edited by Grissle

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1401875540' post='2467658']
Isn't the Phil Jones bass buddy pump out 5w power as well but the head can be use a preamp?
[/quote]

Correct, although I seem to remember it was actually 10W. With a sensitive cab (e.g. a Barefaced Midget) you can get a surprising amount of volume from that, even without valves.

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1401973010' post='2468796']
5w.....Solid State.....for bass? I could see 5watts for a tube bass amp, but SS, hmmm.

Just looked it up. It's class AB, meaning tube amp I believe. It sure looks like it with all the venting built on top.
[/quote]

It weighs 440g which is far too light for a tube amp unfortunately. The 15 watt Ashdown CTM15 weighs 5kg by comparison.

This is definitely solid state.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401983421' post='2468912']
Correct, although I seem to remember it was actually 10W. With a sensitive cab (e.g. a Barefaced Midget) you can get a surprising amount of volume from that, even without valves.
[/quote]

You are right about the 10watt lol. It have more power then I think lol.