Why become a member? ×

Warning Lakland Content (Geezer sig)

cocco

Being a huge fan of Lakland basses, Black Sabbath and Geezer Butler I am more than slightly excited by this bass, and tempted by Geezers new signature EMG pickup.

I wouldn't own it though, really dislike the inlays and the pick guard.

What do you all think? http://www.lakland.com/geezer.htm

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397904204' post='2428415']
Soo cheesy! Why is anything associated with heavy rock/metal so cheesy?!?!
[/quote]

Exactly that! An all black p bass with a crucifix or the angel at the 12th fret and a black pick guard would have been super cool! This looks looks like a 14 year olds doodle in a maths book.

I'm not that keen on the styling of that bass either , but bear in mind that it's supposed to be for the bass player in Black Sabbath, and so it has a certain "comic book" doom-laden styling in keeping with the kind of iconography associated with that brand. For people who want to buy into that , I suppose it's a suitable bass. Just a regular USA Bob Glaub ( or 44-64 as it is now known) is perfectly sufficient for my tastes , but then again, I am not the Prince Of Darkness. To me , I think the Geezer bass would look better with just one tasteful inlay at the twelfth fret.

Those EMG pickups look like they might be good. I can't really say whether they sound good because the sound clips have got a bit too much distortion on them for my tastes. What I would be most interested in finding out is whether EMG's claims to have evened out the apparent output of the P and J pickups is borne out in reality .Very few PJ sets can truly manage that feat, not least of all because certain laws of physics and acoustics are working against that aim , but maybe EMG have pulled it off this time .

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1397980420' post='2429082']
Interesting that the man himself has chosen not to be photographed with it for the signed publicity shot on the Lakland website.
[/quote]

That photo is from a while ago, with an earlier geezer bass, that one has a crucifix on the head stock and the Angel at the 12th. It's a far nicer looking bass. According to a YouTube video the reason for the stripey scratch plate is because he loved the stripey Jaydee so much.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397924334' post='2428710']

No , passive.
[/quote]

That's good, really not a fan of active, picked up my old Squier P the other day from my parents, been thinking about doing it up, so that would be high on my list of pickup options.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1398176498' post='2431204']
I love the look of this bass but im with most on the inlay's issue.

[b]Ive just ordered a set of the PJ Geezer pups. Ive heard a few sound clips and they sound very interesting.[/b]
[/quote]

Let me know how they turn out man. I'm really tempted to go for the single P in my Lakland, not that I don't already love the Lindy fralin, just something different.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1398195544' post='2431575']
Let me know how they turn out man. I'm really tempted to go for the single P in my Lakland, not that I don't already love the Lindy fralin, just something different.
[/quote]

Ill be sure to post my findings, probably in the GBZ EMG thread on here.
For anyone who wants more info, and some real clips have a look here on Talkbass
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/geezer-butler-signature-pick-ups.1046730/

The new P will be replacing a Fralin that i already have in my PJ. Ive always thought i loved the Fralin but recently im not getting on with it. I was going to put a Fender 62RI in it (its in my Squier CV at the moment) but when i heard the sound clips over on Talk Bass i was very impressed. Im not after the Geezer tone at all, but they do sound a bit clearer than the Fender 62, and i find the Fralin is very close to that.
Should be here by 8th May, if not sooner.