Why become a member? ×

Twin Humbucker Bass - Recommendations?

discreet

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1397944364' post='2428983']
Fender Blacktop jazz. - i have one if hou want a play - a left of centre little gem Or you could get a Blacktop Precision if you want a P neck rather than a J. Funnily enough, i was convinced i wanted a modern player until i tried a Blacktop
[/quote]

I have been looking at them but am a bit put off by the available colours. I have a thing for white basses... but thanks very much for the offer of a play, perhaps we can arrange that at some point as I would be very interested. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397990000' post='2429204']
You might be able to pickup a 4 HH Stingray secondhand or £850-£1000 depending on condition and colour.
[/quote]

It's a good call Gareth, but even that price is a little bit hot for me at the moment! I'm sure they're cracking basses, though. :)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1397943107' post='2428973']
MM Reflex maybe?
[/quote]

Love the shape and looks great (apart from no white option!) but again, a little over my budget.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Edited by discreet

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/trbx/trbx304/?mode=model

should be within your price range, available in white and get good reviews too...

only thing it's got a maple/mahogany laminate neck and rosewood board.

Aye, I thought I'd mention it with him initially mentioning the Modern Player Jazz, which also has a skinny neck.

White (ish), with most definitely not a skinny neck would be the Fender Blacktop Precision Bass - no maple fretboard option, but I suppose you could swap it at a later date. This one has the older 'double jazz' humbuckers, rather than the ones featured the newer Modern Player Jazz, which look like (but don't sound like) the pickups on the Roscoe beck.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1398028254' post='2429741']
I'm guessing that if discreet doesn't like jazz necks the SRs would be way too skinny?
[size=4][/quote][/size][size=4][quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1398030489' post='2429767'][/size]Aye, I thought I'd mention it with him initially mentioning the Modern Player Jazz, which also has a skinny neck.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Thanks guys, I looked at both the SR300 (tempting price!) AND the Blacktop P (not enough colour options!). It is true that I don't favour Jazz-style necks, but since changing my technique recently (from pick to fingerstyle - after three+ decades) I was thinking maybe I'd give them a go once more, just for the hell of it - and to see how I get on - again.[/size]

Good news for Basschatters - look out for a nearly-new bass with a Jazz-style neck in the Basses for sale section at a knock-down price in the next few weeks. :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1398017589' post='2429597']
Admit it, you're just being awkward now aren't you?
[/quote]

Yes. Yes, I am. :D

Talking of tempting prices, What is the word on the Cort Artisan C4H?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398070363' post='2429985']
[/size][size=4][/size]
[size=4]Thanks guys, I looked at both the SR300 (tempting price!) AND the Blacktop P (not enough colour options!). It is true that I don't favour Jazz-style necks, but since changing my technique recently (from pick to fingerstyle - after three+ decades) I was thinking maybe I'd give them a go once more, just for the hell of it - and to see how I get on - again.[/size]

Good news for Basschatters - look out for a nearly-new bass with a Jazz-style neck in the Basses for sale section at a knock-down price in the next few weeks. :D

Yes. Yes, I am. :D

Talking of tempting prices, What is the word on the Cort Artisan C4H?
[/quote]

Honestly mate, T-40. You won't get a better passive double humbucker bass for that money!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1398074641' post='2430060']
Honestly mate, T-40. You won't get a better passive double humbucker bass for that money!
[/quote]

Well... to be quite honest I really don't like the look of them... sorry! :blush:
I know that makes no difference to sound and playability, but there it is!

Edited by discreet

Second hand Gibson EB 2013 in cream? Or does it have to be brilliant white?

Coil spits on the humbuckers if you like. No maple board though.

The only white G&L Tribute you're going to get without painting it yourself is the M-2000 GTB:

Again, rosewood only, sorry. Necks on these are great though - half way between a P and a J. Very comfortable, and I like a chunky neck.

White Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro? It is a "traditional" shape, if only because it's old :)

This one is the proper neck through job. Bit of a jazzy neck though, in width at least.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398079593' post='2430124']
Second hand Gibson EB 2013 in cream? Or does it have to be brilliant white?
[/quote]

Thanks for these! No - cream, aged oly or 'vintage' white are all good. So is tort - with white. The Gibson EB is less than I thought it would be, looks good. The G&L M2000 is definitely on my shortlist. Looks very good indeed for the money. Not too sure about the Thunderbird, though - I'm very conservative when it comes to body shape and that looks way too radical for me! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398079848' post='2430131']
Thanks for these! No - cream, aged oly or 'vintage' white are all good. So is tort - with white. The Gibson EB is less than I thought it would be, looks good. The G&L M2000 is definitely on my shortlist. Looks very good indeed for the money. Not too sure about the Thunderbird, though - I'm very conservative when it comes to body shape and that looks way too radical for me! :D
[/quote]

It's been around since 1963! It's only 3 years younger than the Jazz bass, etc. etc. ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398084501' post='2430218']
It's been around since 1963! It's only 3 years younger than the Jazz bass, etc. etc. ;)
[/quote]

Intellectually I know that, but nevertheless I'd still feel a bit self-conscious with it! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398084836' post='2430220']
Intellectually I know that, but nevertheless I'd still feel a bit self-conscious with it! :D
[/quote]

Ach, who cares what anyone thinks? You're up there playing bass, what are they doing? Exactly - NOT playing bass, perhaps wishing they were!

Odd shaped/finished bass which isn't a Fender P or J? Check.
Zero flying Fs given? Check.

And believe me, I am no super confident ego maniac. Watch me squirm if someone says nice things about me, the band or the gig after the set :)

That's enough from me. Whatever you decide to buy, I'm sure you'll let us know with obligatory pics.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398077456' post='2430100']

Well... to be quite honest I really don't like the look of them... sorry! :blush:
I know that makes no difference to sound and playability, but there it is!
[/quote]

That's cool :) they aren't for everyone

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1398094111' post='2430342']
I played a G&L Tribute M-2000 at the gallery t'other day. Compared it to a L-2500 and EB Stingray, and I have to say it was a lot nicer sounding and very powerful. They're really amazing basses!
[/quote]

That is good to know, thanks. I really like the look of them too (despite no maple option) and they are not overly expensive. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398094680' post='2430356']
That is good to know, thanks. I really like the look of them too (despite no maple option) and they are not overly expensive. :)
[/quote]

Let me clarify something here - you can get a maple board on a Tribute M-2000 - but the body has to be black or sunburst. You asked for white so I didn't think these were an option:

The white one (M-2000 GTB) only comes with rosewood. Sorry if I was unclear.

Edited by neepheid