Why become a member? ×

What are MM basses like to play compared to "boutique" instruments?

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1397918051' post='2428630']
The 18v 4 band pre in a bongo is something entirely differant. u can really REALLY sculpt your sound. I prefer rays thru a big old valve amp hit hard, but a bongo thru a big old SS amp for nuance and definition. Easily outclasses the pre in many very expensive boutique basses. Just dont get one at home for playing on your knee, because the lower horn Knacks!:)
[/quote]

Bongos all way for me! They feel "just right" strapped on, not too heavy, great neck, and the pre amp is fab.

I've never picked up an EB/MM bass that didn't feel well put together. I've known various manufacturers where the tolerances or general fit and finish was just far too inconsistent from bass to bass... and that is taking into account that if you produce a 1000 basses as opposed to 100,000 basses you will have a higher ratio of 'potential' for a bass not to be perfect. ;)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397912841' post='2428542']
So as most of you have probably seen I'm looking to trade away my Alembic for an Average stingray or Bongo bass. Crazy I know, but I'm just looking for something less "flashy"? Maybe that's not the right word, not sure. Anyway what are Musicman basses like to play compared to "Boutique" basses or say Fender Jazz basses?

I've developed a recent interest in Musicman instruments and decided I want one in my collection that I won't feel guilty for gigging. So some lucky bassist on here will get my beaut of an Alembic sooner or later!
[/quote]

To directly answer your question, EBMM basses compare very favourably with a lot of boutique instruments. You are indeed a bit mental ( to use the medical term) to consider swapping your Alembic for one, but that is , of course, your choice to make :)

. Find a good Music Man bass and , at what it does, it will play and sound as good as just about any bass on the market, boutique or otherwise. Where EBMM bass fall short of boutique basses like your Alembic is in the overall integrity and finer points of the construction , most notably in so much as the MM basses have got straightforward flatsawn necks without any laminations or graphite reinforcement, and it is quite noticeable how EBMM have moved towards slightly more substantial neck profiles in recent years to try and combat the common instability of their earlier basses thinner necks. Overall though, EBMM basses represent excellent value for money , either bought new or secondhand.

If you like the crisply defined sound of Jazz Basses and your Alembic and Fodera basses then I would strongly recommend checking out the Bongo. It's a fabulous bass in my opinion , with a unique tone that has all the inherent punch of the Stingray, but a with a much more modern , articulate voice that is easier to be heard clearly. The Reflex /25th Anniversary is good, too.

The Stingray is, of course, a classic that we all know and mostly love, but it has a very distinctive and stylized sound that , whilst being very useful in its' own right, can be a bit limiting, in my opinion. In many ways, the Stingray is one of those basses that is beyond criticism and a good one is great fun to play and a joy to listen to, but to my tastes at least , it has always been quite a specialized instrument. It will do one thing , and that is be a Stingray. I hasten to add, however, that a Stingray is a great thing to be.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1397924242' post='2428708']

To directly answer your question, EBMM basses compare very favourably with a lot of boutique instruments. You are indeed a bit mental ( to use the medical term) to consider swapping your Alembic for one, but that is , of course, your choice to make :)

. Find a good Music Man bass and , at what it does, it will play and sound as good as just about any bass on the market, boutique or otherwise. Where EBMM bass fall short of boutique basses like your Alembic is in the overall integrity and finer points of the construction , most notably in so much as the MM basses have got straightforward flatsawn necks without any laminations or graphite reinforcement, and it is quite noticeable how EBMM have moved towards slightly more substantial neck profiles in recent years to try and combat the common instability of their earlier basses thinner necks. Overall though, EBMM basses represent excellent value for money , either bought new or secondhand.

If you like the crisply defined sound of Jazz Basses and your Alembic and Fodera basses then I would strongly recommend checking out the Bongo. It's a fabulous bass in my opinion , with a unique tone that has all the inherent punch of the Stingray, but a with a much more modern , articulate voice that is easier to be heard clearly. The Reflex /25th Anniversary is good, too.

The Stingray is, of course, a classic that we all know and mostly love, but it has a very distinctive and stylized sound that , whilst being very useful in its' own right, can be a bit limiting, in my opinion. In many ways, the Stingray is one of those basses that is beyond criticism and a good one is great fun to play and a joy to listen to, but to my tastes at least , it has always been quite a specialized instrument. It will do one thing , and that is be a Stingray. I hasten to add, however, that a Stingray is a great thing to be.
[/quote]

Thanks man ! Yeah I'm really after a sound that is basically a Fender Jazz but added boom on the bottom end, cheers for the advice!

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1397918051' post='2428630']
Where u at buddy?
If you are close u can try out various combos of rays/bongo!
Stingrays lend themselves to playing hard and digging in well, due to to the big bridge (but Bernard was a tickler and he had AWESOME tone obvs)
The 18v 4 band pre in a bongo is something entirely differant. u can really REALLY sculpt your sound. I prefer rays thru a big old valve amp hit hard, but a bongo thru a big old SS amp for nuance and definition. Easily outclasses the pre in many very expensive boutique basses. Just dont get one at home for playing on your knee, because the lower horn Knacks! :)
[/quote]

If JBF opts to come to Leeds to try Roons Rays out, I will happily bring along my 93 maple 2EQ with dampers for him to try at the same time. Let me know if it happens and we can sort it.

Edited by Bassmonkey

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1397929123' post='2428771']

If JBF opts to come to Leeds to try Roons Rays out, I will happily bring along my 93 maple 2EQ with dampers for him to try at the same time. Let me know if it happens and we can sort it.
[/quote]

Leeds would be a nice day out tbh, but then again so would Denmark st! Only prob is I work mon-fri 8-5 :(

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397926852' post='2428752']
Thanks man ! Yeah I'm really after a sound that is basically a Fender Jazz but added boom on the bottom end, cheers for the advice!
[/quote]

That sounds a lot like an active Jazz to me http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/american-deluxe-jazz-bass-ash-maple-fingerboard-white-blonde/

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397932507' post='2428813']
In comparison to a decent Jazz, IMO the Musicman sounds 'bigger', faster and more responsive. I like a nice Jazz tone but even the active Jazz tone doesn't have the Ray quickness of attack.
[/quote]

Already decided I want one XD

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397932507' post='2428813']
In comparison to a decent Jazz, IMO the Musicman sounds 'bigger', faster and more responsive. I like a nice Jazz tone but even the active Jazz tone doesn't have the Ray quickness of attack.
[/quote]

I agree - spent a morning with a Marcus Miller Jazz and prefer the Musicman.

I have four Stingrays (including one 5 and a fretless) and one Bongo - I generally only use two of the Stingrays most of the time (an HH and a Classic 2 band). The Bongo is great but I tend to fiddle too much live - it has a piezo also which adds to the complexity. It is a great instrument though.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1397934509' post='2428844']

I agree - spent a morning with a Marcus Miller Jazz and prefer the Musicman.

I have four Stingrays (including one 5 and a fretless) and one Bongo - I generally only use two of the Stingrays most of the time (an HH and a Classic 2 band). The Bongo is great but I tend to fiddle too much live - it has a piezo also which adds to the complexity. It is a great instrument though.
[/quote]

Always had GAS for a Bongo but let the fantasy go thinking I'd struggle to get my hands on a 4'er in white or black in the UK

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397935353' post='2428854']
Always had GAS for a Bongo but let the fantasy go thinking I'd struggle to get my hands on a 4'er in white or black in the UK
[/quote]

Ironic really, when you consider they are the two most common colours for a toilet seat.....

Although the Musicman tone can easily be tamed and made more 'vintage' classic bass sounding, (almost upright if you use the right EQ etc) it is true that a lot of the time, people play one because they want to be quite an upfront bassist. They can, if you want, really grab attention in a mix. A P sits nicely and will growl, a J can get lost but has that alluring tone, the Ray, with new strings and treble up, just slices and dices like no other bass.

I've got a 2007Limited Edition Stingray (4 string, Blue Dawn with Rosewood board) and a BFR Sterling (4 string Amethyst Burst with Rosewood board). Both have necks made from quatersawn maple. Fit and finish is absolutely impecable.

After deciding what I wanted each time I was ready to buy, I contacted Strings and Things (the importer/distributor) and asked for details of every Stingray and Sterling they had in stock. I then selected three guitars and advised (by email) which retailer they were to be sent to and contacted the retailer accordingly with a request that they call me when the guitars arrived. I then chose the guitar I wanted. Had I not wanted to buy any of the guitars, it would not have been a problem. The retailer then, presumably, returned the unsold guitars back to Strings and Things. I did this because no retailer local to me had much of a selection of MM bases and not ones that I wanted.

I've been to Bass Direct and other retailers in the UK since and can't say that I've seen or tried anything that's better made or to my ears, better sounding. I've also got a Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic Jazz 4 string in Fiesta Red with a tort plate and Rosewood board. It's a lovely instument, but the paint finish and neck pocket fit are not as good as either of my Music Man guitars and I've not seen a Fender that is as good.

Guitars are like women, though. You can see/meet hundreds, but one stands out as being special. It's all very subjective!

Edited by titchfieldrelic

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1397935496' post='2428859']

Ironic really, when you consider they are the two most common colours for a toilet seat.....
[/quote]

Not sure I pick up on this irony?!? Too much lavatory humour methinks - I'll have a P, Bob please (the ultimate in lavatory reference basses??)

As somewhat indicated, MM are the brand of which it's very, very often said they give boutique basses a run for their money.
Noobly, I know zilch, but within that reference frame, for me the Bongo stands out from everything else I've heard or felt in that it's a mighty, mighty thing of might. Then, I lurv a 4EQ, as, in my mind, the essence of the sound character is not in the bass or the treble but in the low and high mid. Then add bass and treble to taste.

Oh, and its design is stellar, bog seat or no bog seat. That and its colours! Luvverly.

Oh, and that stuff they smear on the neck! Very secure when you want to keep your thumb at one place, and very fast when you want to move your thumb around. Me, I love it. I'd put it on organ and piano keyboards if they'd let me.

Edited by BassTractor

I really love the Stingray! I have a '77, a well worn '78, a fretless '79 and a Classic 5 string. I like the sound so much that I also have two custom basses with Status necks MM pickups and aftermarket preamps.
Still, when I hear "Jazz with more bass", I immediately think of a John East preamp... I have a Jazz bass like that, and the definition and assertive tone is somewhat similar to the Stingray.

I would very much disagree that the Stingray is a one trick pony: that myth is founded in players that are only able to play when they anchor the picking hand on the pickup! Move your hand along the strings and the tone changes enormously.
My favourite sweet spot is halfway between the pickup and the end of the neck.
I prefer the 2-band eq though, the 3-way sounds a bit too harsh to my ears...

Given that you like to have somewhere to anchor your thumb (and were looking to fit a ramp on the Fodera to help in this regard) then you'd probably need a twin humbucker Ray.

In general terms I always think MM's are well made but I don't get on with them to play. I've owned both regular Rays and Sterlings but none have kept me interested for more than a couple of weeks - I can never put my finger on exactly why but they just don't 'work' for me :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397991223' post='2429221']
Given that you like to have somewhere to anchor your thumb (and were looking to fit a ramp on the Fodera to help in this regard) then you'd probably need a twin humbucker Ray.

In general terms I always think MM's are well made but I don't get on with them to play. I've owned both regular Rays and Sterlings but none have kept me interested for more than a couple of weeks - I can never put my finger on exactly why but they just don't 'work' for me :(
[/quote]
I still need to sort out getting a ramp made, however I've always had a soft spot for Bongo Basses. When the Alembic sells I've got to make a decision what I add to the arsenal next XD

hiho,they are great basses.
I got a SUB in 2003 to see if I could live with a MM with the view to upgrade later on.
Still got the SUB.I tried a classic stingray back to back with my SUB when I was trying out amp s and cabs and they both sounded the same to me.
Active preamp can be harsh if your heavy handed but once you suss it out they are very good.