Why become a member? ×

What are MM basses like to play compared to "boutique" instruments?

JazzBassfreak

So as most of you have probably seen I'm looking to trade away my Alembic for an Average stingray or Bongo bass. Crazy I know, but I'm just looking for something less "flashy"? Maybe that's not the right word, not sure. Anyway what are Musicman basses like to play compared to "Boutique" basses or say Fender Jazz basses?

I've developed a recent interest in Musicman instruments and decided I want one in my collection that I won't feel guilty for gigging. So some lucky bassist on here will get my beaut of an Alembic sooner or later!

Edited by JazzBassfreak

Am trying to get my head round how an Alembic might be considered flashy but a Fodera YYS isn't LOL.

Can't help you on the Stingray or Bongo experience but hopefully you can either get to a local store with one in stock, go to a local bass bash or ask nicely to try a local BC member's?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1397913131' post='2428549']
Am trying to get my head round how an Alembic might be considered flashy but a Fodera YYS isn't LOL.

Can't help you on the Stingray or Bongo experience but hopefully you can either get to a local store with one in stock, go to a local bass bash or ask nicely to try a local BC member's?
[/quote]

I don't gig my Fodera, that's purely home use. As for local guitar shops, nope. None stock MM and none are willing either.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397912841' post='2428542']
So as most of you have probably seen I'm looking to trade away my Alembic for an Average stingray or Bongo bass. Crazy I know, but I'm just looking for something less "flashy"? Maybe that's not the right word, not sure. Anyway what are Musicman basses like to play compared to "Boutique" basses or say Fender Jazz basses?

I've developed a recent interest in Musicman instruments and decided I want one in my collection that I won't feel guilty for gigging. So some lucky bassist on here will get my beaut of an Alembic sooner or later!
[/quote]

You shouldn't be asking that question mate, please don't trade/sell an Alembic without at least playing a Musicman first, you may hate it!

No-one can really answer the question but you.

IMO the early ones are better - pre 94 with the muted bridge and bird's eye Maple necks are the ones to go for. I've had 2, one with SD p/ups which I preferred over the standard pick ups - did everything that the standards did but had a broader range of tones. This one also had a satin finish on the neck rather than lacquer which my 2002 had - this really didn't compare to the 94 which I should never had sold.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1397913292' post='2428552']

You shouldn't be asking that question mate, please don't trade/sell an Alembic without at least playing a Musicman first, you may hate it!

No-one can really answer the question but you.
[/quote]

I've just sorta decided my Alembic isn't for me, had abit of a change in playing style recently and I'm certain I want to trade it for something I'll get the use out of. I've recently moved back to my Fender Jazz as my main bass but it still lacks the "boom" I desire. Aswell as the fact my Alembic has sat in its case for the past 4 months XD

I've had a four Stingrays, two 4 string and two 5 strings. I don't own them anymore :) .

They seem to 'work' for some people, and not others.

They have a built in sound that's extremely hard to get rid of, if you need to. So they're good basses, but it depends on how versatile you need an instrument to be, and if one would work for you.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1397913472' post='2428557']
I've had a four Stingrays, two 4 string and two 5 strings. I don't own them anymore :) .

They seem to 'work' for some people, and not others.

They have a built in sound that's extremely hard to get rid of, if you need to. So they're good basses, but it depends on how versatile you need an instrument to be, and if one would work for you.
[/quote]

Well it's like, for Versatility I've got 3 go to basses. ATM I think I'm fed up of Having to EQ as much as I do, just looking for simplistic, easy playing but badass sounding

You should find Stingrays stocked in some large shops so you could make a trek to try some - this is what many people have to do even to try US or any Fenders - but Bongos are really few and far between - they are totally different from a Stingray as well.

I think Strings and Things (UK Musicman distributor) may be willing to ship one to your nearest MM dealer so you can try out on sale or return - they certainly used to anyway and it's likely they'll have a couple of them!

What model of Alembic do you have, out of curiosity?

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397913596' post='2428559']

Well it's like, for Versatility I've got 3 go to basses. ATM I think I'm fed up of Having to EQ as much as I do, just looking for simplistic, easy playing but badass sounding
[/quote]

Sounds like a 2 band Classic Stingray would fit then. I just turn the tone controls up full and then back them off a bit - and if I want more mids for a specific song (say heavy guitar riffs and chords) I turn them down more. Very straightforward. You have onboard mutes on the classic Ray which will tone down the highs even more if you need them. I find plucking position and style makes a massive difference on a Stingray but this is probably as true on many other basses.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1397913736' post='2428563']
You should find Stingrays stocked in some large shops so you could make a trek to try some - this is what many people have to do even to try US or any Fenders - but Bongos are really few and far between - they are totally different from a Stingray as well.

I think Strings and Things (UK Musicman distributor) may be willing to ship one to your nearest MM dealer so you can try out on sale or return - they certainly used to anyway and it's likely they'll have a couple of them!

What model of Alembic do you have, out of curiosity?
[/quote]

It's an Epic 1994 (original year of release) with Zebrawood top+Matching headstock :)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397914197' post='2428572']

It's an Epic 1994 (original year of release) with Zebrawood top+Matching headstock :)
[/quote]

I saw someone use one of those once and it was nice. The reason I asked was I've become slightly Stanley Clark/Mark King sig bass curious recently. Along with Wal also - expensive GAS!!!

Stingrays are known for their 'cuts through the mix' attribute. Long ago I had a not so very wise bass teacher who told me 'You only play a Stingray when your confident because everyone can hear you'. Since then he took up photography lol!

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1397914751' post='2428580']
Stingrays are known for their 'cuts through the mix' attribute. Long ago I had a not so very wise bass teacher who told me 'You only play a Stingray when your confident because everyone can hear you'. Since then he took up photography lol!
[/quote]

That's the exact type of idiocy and ignorance that beginner bassists don't need to hear. Some people really like to misinform the noobs!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397914896' post='2428582']
That's the exact type of idiocy and ignorance that beginner bassists don't need to hear. Some people really like to misinform the noobs!
[/quote]

+1 on that. I was just starting up, learning the notes, scales, looking at other types of basses and BANG! That's when I ended up buying a squire (because it wasn't a stingray!)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1397915834' post='2428594']
Where are you located? Another BC'er might be able to help you out!
I find the Ray necks wider than a Jazz, but not uncomfortably so. My hands a quite small and I get on with a Ray fine.
The Bongo's necks are similar to Ray's, but I find they taper more severely down to a more Jazz like width at the nut. This is not based on any knowledge of neck/nut widths, but just how the Bongo felt for me when I played one at the LBGS.
I would definitely play one before you sell your Alembic.
[/quote]

In Burton on Trent staffs, I'm selling my Alembic anyway, I've just not really had any trade offers or interest which is a shame :(

Bongo - Clear/huge tone/different to the Stingray (less 'grit)/modern/very very fast to play.

Stingray - Classic raspy tone, brilliant kick in the mix, unbeatable (IMO) character of tone, (see below for taming them to a more warm tone).

EBMM's don't need any mods, at all, IMO, apart from when you want to change strings!

I have a lot of experience of pretty high end gear and I come back to Musicman. Every time.

My personal favourite bass at the moment is a Stingray Classic 5, glossed maple neck, loads of birdseye figuring. It can jump from aggressive Flea tones to fat warm thump with just using the EQ and technique, (oh and the mute pads are brilliant).

Edited by Musicman20

Bad-ass sounding..??

Only 2 things can do this..IMO... you really luck out and get a special one...which for mass produced instruments
isn't as easy as you'd like, or you have a natural sound yourself so you can make any bass sound good.

I am from the camp that needs a bit of help from the bass,

Depends who you regard as boutique, but quite a few mass produced basses count as degrees of 'lumps of wood'
and certainly if your Alembic is mosty hand made.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1397916554' post='2428603']
In Burton on Trent staffs, I'm selling my Alembic anyway, I've just not really had any trade offers or interest which is a shame :(
[/quote]I'm just down the A38 in Lichfield if you want to try mine. Mad busy over the next week after that gimme a shout.
I've found the Stingray to be the bass best for me overall, I've owned 4 different ones in the last 7 years; I went off them briefly and then missed the sound.
When I listen to other players P-basses are my favourite sound but for me I find that a Stingray does everything, I seem to be either too indistinct on a P bass and when I dial in clarity I get too boxy sounding, and this is after years (decades!) of tinkering. The Stingray seems to flatter my playing and doesn't cause any aches anywhere, I think if you get on with them they are a great bass. I think the 3eq ones get a bad press, I like mine. Old USA Subs are fantastic.
Martin

Where u at buddy?
If you are close u can try out various combos of rays/bongo!
Stingrays lend themselves to playing hard and digging in well, due to to the big bridge (but Bernard was a tickler and he had AWESOME tone obvs)
The 18v 4 band pre in a bongo is something entirely differant. u can really REALLY sculpt your sound. I prefer rays thru a big old valve amp hit hard, but a bongo thru a big old SS amp for nuance and definition. Easily outclasses the pre in many very expensive boutique basses. Just dont get one at home for playing on your knee, because the lower horn Knacks!:)

[quote name='roonjuice' timestamp='1397918051' post='2428630']
Where u at buddy?
If you are close u can try out various combos of rays/bongo!
Stingrays lend themselves to playing hard and digging in well, due to to the big bridge (but Bernard was a tickler and he had AWESOME tone obvs)
The 18v 4 band pre in a bongo is something entirely differant. u can really REALLY sculpt your sound. I prefer rays thru a big old valve amp hit hard, but a bongo thru a big old SS amp for nuance and definition. Easily outclasses the pre in many very expensive boutique basses. Just dont get one at home for playing on your knee, because the lower horn Knacks!:)
[/quote]

Very kind of ya mate! Would love to, Burton on Trent staffs :)

Edited by JazzBassfreak

The huge difference I found (and couldn;t deal with) was the fact that I'm a finger player and hook my thumb on the pick-up (where the Jazz neck pick-up is - on a Precision). I found the higher tension in the string at that point really annoying. The string doesn't pull across as easily. It's like being forced to play a Jazz with your thumb on the bridge pick-up.

Only a small thing to some I dare say but I hated it very quickly.