Why become a member? ×

No wonder music shops close.

Hutton

I was in iiMusic in Aberdeen with my son today. He had enquiried about a pedal a few weeks ago and they said they would phone him when they got it in. No phone call since so you can imagine his surprise when he saw the pedal in the shop today. However, still wanting to support his local shop he asked to try out the pedal. The shop guy said he couldn't as a guy was about to play an acoustic set in the shop. So here we are in a holiday weekend with the city heaving with folk - a retailers paradise. But this shop chooses to be a venue in the middle of the afternoon. Do they want to sell or not? I wonder when the 'closing down' sign will appear in the window. Needless to say the online route is now being considered.

This week I took a walk all the way up Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow to try out a bass the retailer's website said they had one in stock of, only to find that there was no such bass in the shop. And not just "sorry we just sold it" not there, more "I have no idea what you're talking about" not there. What a waste of time. Unimpressed.

Edited by neepheid

It's just retailers nowadays.

I ordered a book from a seller on ebay. I had an email saying they'd posted it, so I waited, and waited, and waited. Then I emailed them to ask where it was, only to receive an immediate refund from them.

OK, so it was good they refunded me, but why advertise the book in the first place, and why email me to say they'd posted it, if they hadn't ?

The music shop up the road from me is awesome for guitars, always loads in stock, really friendly guys. But the basses are... meh. And the setups are unplayable by most humans. And unfortunately, they don't stock fender or squier stuff, which I love. Otherwise it's a great shop.

The other two shops in the area pale in comparison. One is run by a really unfriendly old bag who, despite me having bought two instruments from them in the past, always gives me some snide remark when I go in to try something out. The other one is full of teenagers playing at full volume, and I find the owner unfriendly.

If I want to try anything now, I mainly hop on the train for £8 return and go down to Bristol, there's a good store near... hmm, I've forgotten - broadmead I think it's called - and I've forgotten the name of the shop. That's helpful. But it's a great shop, lots of stock, amps set up to plug in to, and the instruments are set up fairly well.

I'll edit the post when I remember the shop name

A couple of years ago I was in a music shop in Swansea and I saw a bass I liked the look of, but the whole time I was in there the owner didn't look up from his computer. Even when I tried to talk to him he literally just grunted at me (I wish I was joking or exaggerating, but I really am not). I went back the next day, which was a Saturday, because there was something in the shop next door that I wanted to pick up, so I popped back into the music shop to have another look at the bass. Fortunately they had three very friendly and enthusiastic staff in, the owner was not there, and I got to try the bass and got a nice discount that I didn't even ask for.
I don't normally leave the house on weekends, but had no choice that day, otherwise he would have lost that sale. I actually felt bad for buying it afterwards, because I felt he didn't deserve my money, but I really like the bass. I haven't been back since though.

In fact, that week I had been to every guitar shop I could find within a thirty mile radius, about eight of them, I think. Some of them tried to be helpful, some of them didn't give a toss. The biggest problem I found was a lack of variety in stock, and only three of them had any bass stuff at all. I have only bought stuff online since, which I feel is a real shame but I have been given on other choice.

Edited by KingBollock

Guest FretNoMore

Some shops suck big time, others are quite good - I try to buy locally at the good shops when I can. It is getting harder for them to have nicer items in stock though, the competition from online shopping is fierce. I'm no better than the average person - I'm not patient when I've decided to buy something; if an item is not in stock and is also significantly cheaper online it is difficult to support the local store.

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1397947836' post='2429002']
It's just retailers nowadays.

I ordered a book from a seller on ebay. I had an email saying they'd posted it, so I waited, and waited, and waited. Then I emailed them to ask where it was, only to receive an immediate refund from them.

OK, so it was good they refunded me, but why advertise the book in the first place, and why email me to say they'd posted it, if they hadn't ?
[/quote]

Hmm. What makes you assume that they didn't have the book or didn't actually post it to you? How about it getting lost in the post and they refunded you without question?

I've had a few issues over the years with online purchases but have never had to argue to get a refund. My feeling is that online retailers jump through hoops to ensure customers feel safe to buy online, even at the occasional cost to them of 'bad' customers.

A friend just bought a new Gibson six-string. He'd been wanting to for a while but couldn't get to try out his shortlisted models at the same time in one shop, so he bought all three from Thomann. They arrived the following day, he spent a few days playing with all of them, finally made his choice and sent the other two back. Because it was only a matter of days, his credit card was refunded before the monthly payment became due so he didn't even need to pay out more than the one he finally bought - and it was significantly cheaper than he'd seen in any of the local shops. Who could ask for more?

Frankly, I don't know why anyone buys stuff in shops any more. It's a hassle to get into town, a hassle to park when you get there (and often expensive), the sales assistants can be surly and unhelpful (as so many here have recounted), you don't really get enough time to really get a feel for whatever you're hoping to buy and if you make a purchase mistake it's at the discretion of the shop whether to exchange the product or give a refund - which is generally only a credit note anyway.

In contrast, buying online means no travel hassle, no parking costs, no grumpy assistants and a week or so to use the item in the comfort of your own home and be totally sure it's right for you - and if it's not then you are legally guaranteed a full refund.

I realise this is tough news for the retail industry but what are we supposed to do, reverse progress? Times change - if they didn't, we wouldn't even be playing electric basses would we?

There is a great outdoorsy/camping/army surplus store in Burton on Trent, about thirty miles from where I used to live. I used to go there quite often but I hadn't had an a excuse for a while and I was looking for a hat. Being the kind that liked to support proper local shops I decided to order a hat from their website, rather than use an online only shop. I ordered the hat in my exact size from the range of sizes they said they had. The £4 postage would have probably been less than the cost of petrol to get there and back. A week or so later the hat turned up, several sizes too small and the label said "one size fits all" which is always an absolute lie. Got I touch with the shop and they admitted that they were entirely at fault and that they only have the hat in one size, so they said they would refund me the price of the hat and the postage both ways. They lied about that, too. They refunded the price of the hat but not the postage, so I ended up paying £8 for absolutely nothing. Never went back to that shop again either.

Most of the stuff I buy now comes from Amazon. It is often the cheapest place to buy from and often there is no postage charges. Delivery is usually very fast, normally just a couple of days, and our postman puts our packages in the utility room so we don't even have to answer the door (which is handy when my wife's shift patterns means we are in bed when the post comes).
I no longer feel guilty about buying I online, and I used to, but it is very different living in a village in the middle of nowhere from a large town with three major cities within twenty miles.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1397948157' post='2429006']
The music shop up the road from me is awesome for guitars, always loads in stock, really friendly guys. But the basses are... meh. And the setups are unplayable by most humans. And unfortunately, they don't stock fender or squier stuff, which I love. Otherwise it's a great shop.

The other two shops in the area pale in comparison. One is run by a really unfriendly old bag who, despite me having bought two instruments from them in the past, always gives me some snide remark when I go in to try something out. The other one is full of teenagers playing at full volume, and I find the owner unfriendly.

If I want to try anything now, I mainly hop on the train for £8 return and go down to Bristol, there's a good store near... hmm, I've forgotten - broadmead I think it's called - and I've forgotten the name of the shop. That's helpful. But it's a great shop, lots of stock, amps set up to plug in to, and the instruments are set up fairly well.

I'll edit the post when I remember the shop name
[/quote]

Whilst I lived in Bristol, there was one in Broadmead called Rikaxxe and another called mickleburgh, both were decent but nothing too special as I recall. Of course, there was Soundcontrol, not sure if that has turned into something else now, haven't been there for many years.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1397950948' post='2429016']
There is a great outdoorsy/camping/army surplus store in Burton on Trent, about thirty miles from where I used to live. I used to go there quite often but I hadn't had an a excuse for a while and I was looking for a hat. Being the kind that liked to support proper local shops I decided to order a hat from their website, rather than use an online only shop. I ordered the hat in my exact size from the range of sizes they said they had. The £4 postage would have probably been less than the cost of petrol to get there and back. A week or so later the hat turned up, several sizes too small and the label said "one size fits all" which is always an absolute lie. Got I touch with the shop and they admitted that they were entirely at fault and that they only have the hat in one size, so they said they would refund me the price of the hat and the postage both ways. They lied about that, too. They refunded the price of the hat but not the postage, so I ended up paying £8 for absolutely nothing. Never went back to that shop again either.
[/quote]

30 mile round trip in a private car would cost £27 according to HMRC allowances (45p/mile), and they're not known for being overly generous.

Petrol alone would be £8.85 assuming £1.30/litre and 40mpg.

Inexcusable to lie about the return postage though. I wonder what their online T&Cs stated?

But you raise an interesting point. I wonder how many millions of miles and hours of time are wasted by people travelling to the shops for stuff they don't find?

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1397950105' post='2429014']
Hmm. What makes you assume that they didn't have the book or didn't actually post it to you? How about it getting lost in the post and they refunded you without question?

I've had a few issues over the years with online purchases but have never had to argue to get a refund. My feeling is that online retailers jump through hoops to ensure customers feel safe to buy online, even at the occasional cost to them of 'bad' customers.

A friend just bought a new Gibson six-string. He'd been wanting to for a while but couldn't get to try out his shortlisted models at the same time in one shop, so he bought all three from Thomann. They arrived the following day, he spent a few days playing with all of them, finally made his choice and sent the other two back. Because it was only a matter of days, his credit card was refunded before the monthly payment became due so he didn't even need to pay out more than the one he finally bought - and it was significantly cheaper than he'd seen in any of the local shops. Who could ask for more?

Frankly, I don't know why anyone buys stuff in shops any more. It's a hassle to get into town, a hassle to park when you get there (and often expensive), the sales assistants can be surly and unhelpful (as so many here have recounted), you don't really get enough time to really get a feel for whatever you're hoping to buy and if you make a purchase mistake it's at the discretion of the shop whether to exchange the product or give a refund - which is generally only a credit note anyway.

In contrast, buying online means no travel hassle, no parking costs, no grumpy assistants and a week or so to use the item in the comfort of your own home and be totally sure it's right for you - and if it's not then you are legally guaranteed a full refund.

I realise this is tough news for the retail industry but what are we supposed to do, reverse progress? Times change - if they didn't, we wouldn't even be playing electric basses would we?
[/quote]

If they didn't have it why advertise it, and then email me to say it had been posted ?

It just seemed odd that they'd refund me no questions asked, I merely enquired if it had definitely been sent, also you can tick on the ebay enquiry thing whether you still want it, I did and ticked yes.

there's one decent shop here, guy knows his stuff and has worked with some names, but even his stock of instruments is limited and woefully overpriced.

the other ones scrape by selling "squier + amp" packs and PA equipment, i don't know how they survive. you'd need to travel 1 hour on the train and then walk to the other end of town to find a place with the same choice as any average internet company. trying before you buy can be a tricky thing.

Edited by Philip_

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1397951834' post='2429021']

30 mile round trip in a private car would cost £27 according to HMRC allowances (45p/mile), and they're not known for being overly generous.

Petrol alone would be £8.85 assuming £1.30/litre and 40mpg.

Inexcusable to lie about the return postage though. I wonder what their online T&Cs stated?

But you raise an interesting point. I wonder how many millions of miles and hours of time are wasted by people travelling to the shops for stuff they don't find?
[/quote]
This was over ten years ago and we actually had a diesel car, so it wouldn't have cost quite that much. Online shopping has moved on somewhat since then, I doubt they would get away with it now.

It was a huge place with different buildings full of cool stuff, and was fun to wonder around, that's why I used to go, didn't get that when I threw £8 down the drain for nothing, though.

Thankfully in Cambridge PMT have recently arrived.

The other music shop Ken Stevens is useless for stock of bass' and the guys on the guitar desk don't have a clue about any of the gear, and one chap in particular seems like a complete tool (The supervisor i think) as the lady in front of me was asking for some help with a repair and he came across like an A**hole towards her by patronising her and not actually helping her at all.

If it wasn't for my girlfriend taking ages trying on 14 different bits of clothes in one shop I would of left and not paid for my item. Last bit of business they're getting from me anyway.

I always try to buy all my stuff through PMT as they are always extremely helpful in the stores I've been to.

Normally when it comes to expensive gear I tend to buy online (mainly due to being poor) but for smaller stuff such as strings, (some) pedals etc I try to go to shops but the two local music shops here are horrendous for bass. Only one of them stocks Elixirs and last time I was there they were asking close to £50 for them. The staff are usually friendly and helpful but considering the last 2 sets of Elixirs I've bought were for almost half of that, I can't justify that price difference. And as far as actual bass stock goes it's dire at best.

If I experienced bad service from music shops or similar, I would send them an email. In it I would obviously explain why online business is taking over etc.
Obviously, I wouldn't frequent the premises again and that would be the end of it. Basschat would be notified , in a topic .
If however I got an apology, I would give them another chance and also inform Basschat .
Is there really a shop called pmt? ;)

There are three music shops in central Leicester which sell significant numbers of basses. All of them have friendly and helpful staff. When I've visited stores in other cities, such as Foulds in Derby and ... damn! What's the name of the shop that's across the road down a bit from New Street Station in Birmingham - I've encountered friendly and helpful staff. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in my experience shop staff tend to be good.

The "20% off all stock" signs went up in one of our local music shops last week. I go in there weekly as my son has his guitar lesson in the room above the shop. Most I've ever bought from the shop is a few picks. Grumpy unhelpful bloke coupled with very poor stock makes it difficult to do business with them. Problem is 3 doors up is JG Windows who's stock, attitude and pricing are excellent. They don't just have spotty student types working there for a few quid an hour, most of the staff are experienced musicians and one is a gigging bassist who is always super helpful.

Shops blame online competition, but I don't see that really. It is how the customer perceives the service and how you stock and present goods the customer wants to buy.

CHeers,
RIch

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1397951341' post='2429018']
Whilst I lived in Bristol, there was one in Broadmead called Rikaxxe and another called mickleburgh, both were decent but nothing too special as I recall. Of course, there was Soundcontrol, not sure if that has turned into something else now, haven't been there for many years.
[/quote]
Soundcontrol is now PMT. Rikaxxe advertised their website on the outside of the shop as guitar4u.co.uk but there was never such a site.