Why become a member? ×

NCD - Bill Fitzmaurice Simplex 1x12 (x2) Finished pics added

mrtcat

I'm hanging up my BFM building hat this year due to incoming baby and the fact that its pretty much impossible to operate at a profit with prices of everything in the uk (drivers, wood etc). Decided to treat myself from some leftover bits and do a new rig. I've made a simplex 1x12 with kappalite 3012lf driver and another with the same driver and a tweeter. Currently waiting for the crossover components so second cab can't be completed. Have whipped up a matching case for my amp head too.

Finish wise ive used some tuff cab in "funky purple". Not that funky in the flesh lol.

The finished cab sounds lovely. These will replace my Berg NV412 and I'm already happy that they will be as good as that.

Cheers

Edited by mrtcat

Thanks Mark, it's a couple of inches smaller than the J12 in pretty much each direction which was the deciding factor for me as I'm looking at using the car for gigs instead of the van from here on in. It's light like a jack too especially with the neo driver. An easy enough build though.

Hey Steve, it's 20"wide 17"high and 15" deep. It'll go pretty low if you use something like kappalite 3012lf but that'll need plenty of power to drive it as the tradeoff for big low end is the fact it's not the most efficient option. For dub reggae you would be better with the 15" version that is a little bigger. The 12" version weighs a touch under 16kg with the neo driver.
Component costs will depend on the options you go for. With a kappalite 3012lf, ply, paint, corners handles etc you won't see much change from £350. I would offer to build you one but my local ply supplier no longer stocks decent stuff so I have to travel quite a distance to get it. Factor that in and after labour you'd be into bergantino price territory. This is why I'll be giving up building this yr. If you buy the plans from bill fitzmaurice website you'll see its a straightforward build so I'd recommend having a go yourself.

Thanks mrtcat :)

I currently use 2 composite Flite cabs loaded with 15" Kappalite 3015LFs as shown.
They sound good and they are very compact at 18" x 18" x 14" and light weight at only 9.8kg.
But I've been advised that the cab is too small for the driver and the port inadequate for deep bass.

I tried an ACME 12" Flatwound cab, which uses an adapted 3012LF and it went much lower than my Flites.

I would probably be better with the 15" BFM version as you suggest, using my drivers, but then I sacrifice weight and size.
I know it's a compromise and I really like the ease of carrying the Flites, it's just a shame they aren't slightly bigger with more effective ports.
It may be possible to adapt the Flites by adding ports, but it's a bit risky.

[attachment=160771:Flite cab.jpg]

[attachment=160772:Flite2_amp.jpg]

• 3 weeks later...

By choice I would have gone for the 3012ho but I had two of the lf's in the workshop so meant no big outlay. I may swap them out and use the lf's for subs at some point.
Not gonna try to talk you out of building something. It's the best feeling when people come up and coo over your kit and then you tell them it's not mass produced but self built.
Simplexx is a really nice build to. Really straightforward.