Why become a member? ×

All the different Fenders series

isteen

[color=#333333]I'm looking at Fender basses, in the budget Mexican series.[/color]
[color=#333333]I'm a bit lost, since there are other series in the price range (Blacktop, Moderne Player etc.).[/color]
[color=#333333]What are the differences in tone, quality, playability etc.[/color]
[color=#333333]In short, what series offers the best bass for a budget buyer?[/color]

[color=#333333]I'm mainly looking at a Fender Mexican Jazz - and likely a fretless Jazz later on.[/color]

[color=#333333]Thanks for (hopefully) clearing this up for me[/color]

The bottom end of Fender's range is a bit jumbled up. The Blacktop and Modern Player basses are made in China, and based on feedback on here score highly on finish and build quality, but less on tone.

The 'Standard' series is made in Mexico, and are solid across the board. I have 2 MIM basses - a Standard Precision (2011) and a Deluxe Precision (2004) and both are well built and sound great. I actually prefer the stock Fender pickups to the Seymour Duncans that I tested for a little while.

The Mexican basses were renowned for poor quality control which I believe has improved, but make sure you try before you buy because there are 'bad' examples out there.

Generally there's about £100 in it between a Modern Player and a Standard series bass - I would say purely from a budget perspective that if you found a MP that agrees with you then you're onto a winner. However you can pick up a used MIM Standard in the for sale section on here for £250-£300, which is £100+ less again than a new MP.

Edited by theyellowcar

There's a lot of love for Squier basses too, in particular the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series for both Precisions and Jazz basses (and there's also the Active Deluxe with the Jazz) and ought to be on your list, particularly if you can try both Squier and Fender instruments side by side (some people here have tried both in a shop and chosen the Squier over a Fender).

EDIT: Just spotted you list a Squier in your signature - you know what I'm talking about then LOL

Edited by HowieBass

Most MiMs I see these days are well made. Nice necks, good fretting, neck pockets are ok etc. etc.

You get an odd one with slightly proud fret ends but that's about the worst I've seen recently.

Some sound good straight out of the box but often a decent pickup upgrade can make a lot of difference. Sometimes you need to swap out the controls and jack socket as these can get scratchy but that's not a huge cost (especially if you're handy with a soldering iron).

I think that from 2011 onwards the MIMs seem to have a better reputation, fairly sure I read somewhere that they were upgraded or changed in some way. Certainly the MIMs I`ve played from this date have been very good.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1397999303' post='2429359']Just spotted you list a Squier in your signature - you know what I'm talking about then LOL
[/quote]

Yep, I have the Deluxe Jazz (active) - and I don't think I'll ever sell it. Next step up might be a Fender MIM

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398012360' post='2429528']
I think that from 2011 onwards the MIMs seem to have a better reputation, fairly sure I read somewhere that they were upgraded or changed in some way. [/quote]

They became about £200 more expensive :P

In all seriousness though my 2011 Standard P feels more solid than my brother's MIM Standard Jazz from around 2004/2005. But then to completely debunk my theory, my Deluxe P (2004) feels better than both!

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1397994819' post='2429275']
The bottom end of Fender's range is a bit jumbled up. The Blacktop and Modern Player basses are made in China, and based on feedback on here score highly on finish and build quality, but less on tone.

The 'Standard' series is made in Mexico, and are solid across the board. I have 2 MIM basses - a Standard Precision (2011) and a Deluxe Precision (2004) and both are well built and sound great. I actually prefer the stock Fender pickups to the Seymour Duncans that I tested for a little while.

The Mexican basses were renowned for poor quality control which I believe has improved, but make sure you try before you buy because there are 'bad' examples out there.

Generally there's about £100 in it between a Modern Player and a Standard series bass - I would say purely from a budget perspective that if you found a MP that agrees with you then you're onto a winner. However you can pick up a used MIM Standard in the for sale section on here for £250-£300, which is £100+ less again than a new MP.
[/quote]
I don't know if this has changed, but my Blacktop precision (in pearl white) was definately made in Mexico, and very fine it was too. Only moved it on to concentrate exclusivley on 5ers!
Cheers Pete :)

It's certainly a confusing price point if you're looking for a Fender bass.

Personally, I think the quality of the Standard Series was vastly improved in 2011. These are now a gig worthy bass that will last you for as long as you're still playing bass. There are obvious upgrades (pickups, bridge) you can make if you want, but I don't think they are necessary additions - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-standard-precision-bass-2011-candy-apple-red-maple/53128

My other tip would be to check out the Squier Matt Freeman Precision. Yes, it says Squier on the headstock and people have probably tried to (wrongly) warn you off Squier instruments, but this is easily one of the best sub-£500 basses. It's TOUGH and excels at punk tones, but you can dial the tone back for Motown thumpy-ness too - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-matt-freeman-precision-bass-vintage-white/49447

[quote name='Mikkoantt' timestamp='1398092254' post='2430316']
I think that Modern Player have best price/quality value.
[/quote]

I would have to disagree in my experience. The Chinese Fenders LOOK fantastic, have all the bells and whistles. But I feel they were always lacking playability and soundwise. MIM all the way.

Just got a MIM jazz, and have to say that for me it was way better than all the Squiers I tried , and the MIC Dimension. The fit and finish and general playability of the Mex is also head and shoulders above the Mex P I sold a few weeks back, although that was a 100% usable bass, just a little ragged around the edges maybe!

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1398156774' post='2430908']

I don't know if this has changed, but my Blacktop precision (in pearl white) was definately made in Mexico, and very fine it was too. Only moved it on to concentrate exclusivley on 5ers!
Cheers Pete :)
[/quote]

I stand corrected!

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1398188219' post='2431416']
I stand corrected!
[/quote]

It is easy to get confused! I thought the Blacktops were Chinese too... :huh:

Fender don't do themselves any favours with this muddle of different sub-brands and countries of origin. It makes it hard to make proper recommendations at times!