Why become a member? ×

Oil for neck

ape

Thought it would be worth asking in here, I want to oil and possibly wax my bass neck as I'm going to leave it natural, it's a 3 piece maple and the 2 sides have a bit of nice flaming on them, what I'd like to do is use an oil that doesn't darken the wood too much, I've tried and got some linseed oil but seems to darken wood a fair bit, however I've not tried it on maple so far just ash and a few other softer woods. I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that musicman use gunstock oil on their necks not sure if this is true or not but have noticed their maple necks seem to remain light. Any ideas anyone from people with experience, pics would of course be even better if anybody has oiled maple.

Colron natural Danish Oil, from B&Q is the stuff you need.

It's a piece of cake to work with and gives a great, durable finish. make sure it's the "natural" version with no stain in. I have done one maple neck and several other wood bodies with this. The maple neck darkened a fraction, but very minimally. I don't think you will get anything which will not darken it at all. It was a great finish for the neck BTW. I did a thin Briwax coating over it. It gave a lovely satin, "high quality" feel to it.

Musicman do use gunstock oil on their necks & recommend Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax for treating the necks.

It's available online in the UK - I bought some but never got around to using it as I sold my MM bass because I hated it so much.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1397996133' post='2429297']
Colron natural Danish Oil, from B&Q is the stuff you need.

It's a piece of cake to work with and gives a great, durable finish. make sure it's the "natural" version with no stain in. I have done one maple neck and several other wood bodies with this. The maple neck darkened a fraction, but very minimally. I don't think you will get anything which will not darken it at all. It was a great finish for the neck BTW. I did a thin Briwax coating over it. It gave a lovely satin, "high quality" feel to it.
[/quote]

Cheers, brilliant stuff I shall give that a go then, how's the briwax to work with?, I've tried beeswax and that was pretty good but pretty messy and takes some doing, nice when it's finished, hardened and buffed though. That a Green Terror in your avatar by the way?

Try Liberon tung oil - very easy and colour neutral. I'd avoid most waxes, other than the Birchwood Casey (has petro-chemical health warnings) or Warwick wax. Most thicker beeswaxes can get sticky, but these are both thinner and dry to a soft sheen rather than furniture polish gloss.

A few light coats of tung oil is all you need..just clean up and re-apply once or twice a year.

Tru-oil on maple is about the nicest feeling neck finish there is (IMO) and it doesn't darken maple too much. For a satin finish, you can just sand the neck to 600 grit, apply plenty of coats of tru-oil (I think I used around 8, cutting back every couple of coats) then buff with the finest grade of steel wool. You can buy it from gun suppliers.

Best to try some Tru oil on Maple first and see if you like it as it will darken the neck to a similar level as Linseed, because it is Linseed based. Tung oil or a Tung based wiping varnish is a good bet as the darkening will be minimal.

Wax can be used to increase gloss, offer a slight bit of extra protection and improve feel. Liberon Black Bison and Briwax are both good brands. Just avoid any wax containing Silicon.

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1398024699' post='2429704']
Thanks for all the responses, a fair bit to think about, seems like briwax is a winner wax wise for protection, don't suppose any body that has used oils above on maple have got pics so I can get an idea?
[/quote]

Here's a pic of the tru-oil on maple on my parts guitar. It's a little darker than bare maple, but far from the whole "vintage tint" yellow thing.

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1398024699' post='2429704']
Thanks for all the responses, a fair bit to think about, seems like briwax is a winner wax wise for protection, don't suppose any body that has used oils above on maple have got pics so I can get an idea?
[/quote]

I do have a maple neck that has been Danish Oiled and Briwaxed under the stairs. I'll try and motivate myself to get it out to take a pic. I am, however, working today and tomorrow. Please bear with me.
Also, in answer to your previous question, the Briwax is extremely clean and easy to work with.

Edit ... I do have this photo of the front of the headstock on that neck, which obviously has the same finish. It's the one of the green bass.

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/w-and-sch-main.html][/url]

Edited by hamfist

I took Ernie Ball's advice and use birchwood casey gunstock oil on the maple fretboard and neck. Then I finish the neck with gunstock wax for a silky feel.
About 8 thick layers built up on the fretboard with light steelwool buffing in between for a near-laquer coating, two layers each of the oil and wax on the neck.
The bass is a '96 SR5, mine for 2.5 years now.

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1398077378' post='2430097']
Cheers everyone, I think Tru Oil is the look I'm going for so will get some sorted, that's a really nice Stingray you've got there Bolo
[/quote]
Doesn't Tru oil give a gloss finish? I'm only going on some videos I've seen, but won't that be the same as a lacquered finish?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398583821' post='2435394']
Doesn't Tru oil give a gloss finish? I'm only going on some videos I've seen, but won't that be the same as a lacquered finish?
[/quote]

It goes on a lot thinner than a typical lacquer coat. It can achieve a gloss finish if you use a large number of coats, but using fewer coats and cutting back with fine steel wool gives a nice satin.

I've used Tru oil on a Shergold neck and it gave a great finish after only a few coats I gave it a satin type finish on the reverse and a glossier finish on the headstock fascia. I used cheap paper coffee filters to apply it as it's easier to control.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1398607384' post='2435664']
I've used Tru oil on a Shergold neck and it gave a great finish after only a few coats I gave it a satin type finish on the reverse and a glossier finish on the headstock fascia. I used cheap paper coffee filters to apply it as it's easier to control.
[/quote]

Never thought of that, different to using a rag to apply, could be worth a go

[quote name='ape' timestamp='1399108644' post='2441054']

Never thought of that, different to using a rag to apply, could be worth a go
[/quote]

Yes because they are lint free and don't absorb as much as cloth you get more control over the amount of 'take up'. Gives a really pro quality even finish.