Why become a member? ×

Which cheapo EUB

Due to a change in circumstances ( due 2nd February :) ) i have decided to abandon putting a new band together so my electric kit is up for sale.

Now i realize i can't leave music alone so have decided to move to EUB, it's something i have always wanted to do and will finally give me the much needed push to learn my theory and sight reading.

The choices seem to be the Palatino VE-500 or the Stagg offering, initially the Palatino appeals more nd seems to get great reviews especially with a few mods. Any recommendations either way or otherwise?

Edited by steve-norris

Hi Steve. You will have seen the threads on the Stagg with nothing negative coming out. Ive only owned the Stagg so can only give you my opinion on that. For me it was the best value for money purchase I have made in an age. Sound wise it comes across as a Double Bass(not my opinion, everyone who has heard it including some pretty hot jazz pro's) :) Its controls are somewhat limited (Volume and Sub Bass) but that doesnt detract from its overall playability. It also features a headphones out and a Line in (MP3 etc.) It gets a rep as a starter EUB and I dont doubt that there are more high end models about, however for me I gig it weekly through a Shuttle 6 and it is the Mutts. Looks good, sounds great and I wont be upgrading. Hows that for a glowing report. BTW if you dont manage to get a play on one, Im in Reading and you are more than welcome to pop down and try it out. PM me if you want a shot. Stagg On

[quote name='steve-norris' post='239845' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:12 AM']Due to a change in circumstances ( due 2nd February :) ) i have decided to abandon putting a new band together so my electric kit is up for sale.

Now i realize i can't leave music alone so have decided to move to EUB, it's something i have always wanted to do and will finally give me the much needed push to learn my theory and sight reading.

The choices seem to be the Palatino VE-500 or the Stagg offering, initially the Palatino appeals more nd seems to get great reviews especially with a few mods. Any recommendations either way or otherwise?[/quote]
There's a Palatino on EBay which seems reasonable price and they are open to offers so you might even get it a bit cheaper [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Upright-Bass-Palatino-VE-500-incl-Bag_W0QQitemZ360070004199QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360070004199&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308"]Palatino on EBay[/url]

[quote name='steve-norris' post='239845' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:12 AM']The choices seem to be the Palatino VE-500 or the Stagg offering, initially the Palatino appeals more nd seems to get great reviews especially with a few mods. Any recommendations either way or otherwise?[/quote]
I had a VE-500. I sold it in favour of an NS WAV-4, largely on practicality grounds - it's quite heavy, and the combination of that and the endpin design meant I had to find somewhere to lean it between tunes. I'm sure they were a lot cheaper than £500 when I had mine.

I've just gotten into the EUB thing - had a similar dilemma with what to buy, was lucky enough try the palatino and the stagg. Bought the stagg - found that the tone was nicer and needed much less mucking about to get it to sound like double bass. My only complaint has been with trying to bow - Stagg say it's possibe but the bridge isn't differentiated enough to let you do it easily. Still, nice tone, easy to play. Would highly recommend it.

Andy

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='242040' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:00 PM']Eubassix has just sold a very nice one - shame you didn't decide this last week.[/quote]
The Bassix? Depends if you want a full-scale or a bass guitar scale - that was a 34" scale IIRC, like several of the BSX models.

[quote name='paul, the' post='242091' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:07 PM']There's some video clips of the palatino(sp?) on youtube. I don't like the tone very much, tbh. The Stagg clips on here sound more promising.[/quote]

I've just had a wee search of youchoob , the palatino clips are uninspiring to say the least but a quick search for "stagg edb" brings up a few tunes played by a french fella that sound excellent considering that its a staight in to the desk sound - no amps or effects .

No wonder Staggs are out of stock again at Zings and Normans .... GRRRRRR :)

I recommend you not to choose cheap EUB by price.
I know it might sound obvious, but in EUB's world you can invest 7-800£ in an instrument and realize pretty soon that it was a total waste of money.
EUBs should be balanced when leaning against your body, first of all. Maybe this is more important than the instrument's voice, because if you can't play it with ease, or if it falls down on your head, you're not going to enjoy it, no matter how beautifully it sings.

I spent most of the time with balancing tricks while my Stìco EUB was in his "prototype days", and I tried severals well-known EUBs: I can tell for sure this is the hardest part in EUB making, and lots of brands fail at this.

Well in the end i saw one of these [url="http://www.bridgeinstruments.co.uk/elec_bass.html"]bridge bass[/url] for a very good price, it's arriving Friday hopefully, the next task is finding a tutor and some good instructional material.
I have to say it's exciting and a little daunting, looking through the net i came across Shannon birchall who plays with the John Butler trio, good to know i don't HAVE to play jazz now :) . Sore hands and ears ( it's my first fretless :huh: ) here i come!

[quote name='tauzero' post='245194' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:06 AM']The Bassix? Depends if you want a full-scale or a bass guitar scale - that was a 34" scale IIRC, like several of the BSX models.[/quote]

Actually Dino only makes one model in 34" scale, the Flip bass. The half note is not full 41" but 38" or thereabouts. The mini Allegro is 36". My lefty Allegro is 41" and is part of the main stable of his basses that derived from the early BSX's which were also 41" scale.

Edited by synaesthesia