Why become a member? ×

Heavy or light guage?

Zampa

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]After doing a little research I think I fancy some heavy gauge strings as I prefer the sound, however I have read that the extra tension can cause problems with certain guitars not built for the job...[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have an Ibanez SR300...would this be suitable for heavier gauge strings?[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ta...[/font][/size]

The other option is to look at what it is about the sound that heavier gauge strings give you and find another way to get that character into it. For example - would changing the material of the string say from nickel to steel or from roundwounds to flat wounds or try nylon coated strings.

Find some cheap second hand strings off here, or see if anyone has any old ones they can donate or lend you and have play - you might find something you like which won't bust the neck! ;)

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten
  • Like 1

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1398169257' post='2431073']
The other option is to look at what it is about the sound that heavier gauge strings give you and find another way to get that character into it. For example - would changing the material of the string say from nickel to steel or from roundwounds to flat wounds or try nylon coated strings.

Find some cheap second hand strings off here, or see if anyone has any old ones they can donate or lend you and have play - you might find something you like which won't bust the neck! ;)
[/quote]

Thanks JB...Interesting you mention the string type, I was looking at flatwound heavy gauge as opposed to the roundwound light gauge ones I have now...the reason being, I have roughish hands and that 'wanging' sound if I slide along a string really grates on me...as does the sound of the pick which I havn't perfected using yet, and it still makes that scraping sound (probably becuase of the way I use it)

I might go for a medium gauge (if there is such a thing) but flatwound..it wnot break the bank, and see how that sounds, I didnt know the smoothness would affect the tone...

[quote]1 or 2 steps heavier won't be a problem. Maybe not go to low F#. [/quote]

Thanks for that Bolo...unfortunately, Im very new to this, another one of those annoying people who doesnt fully understand what I am actually doing of!...hence lots of questions...can you elaborate please

Thanks for the replies both

Edited by Zampa