Why become a member? ×

Rare Jam/Bruce Foxton Content

Hobbayne

From the long defunct Tube telly show on channel 4. The Jam covering Curtis Mayfield's Move On Up.
I dont think they ever recorded it.
Note Foxton on an Aria Pro II bass
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGpZjIOXJY[/media]

Cool - I'd seen their other songs from that set on YouTube but not that one.

A great cover - it also featured on the early 90s compilation 'Extras' which I have on tape somewhere. Bruce is playing an Aria SB R-60 (the wide-necked version of the SB-700, itself the passive version of the SB-1000) and their set on the Tube is the only time I've seen Bruce playing it. Apparently, his head was wrecked for that performance as Paul had told them he wanted to break up the band prior to it (according to the 'Our Story' book by Bruce & Rick).

Edited by Green Alsatian

I once found myself standing next to Paul and Bruce one evening at a Pete Shelley gig in Manchester - I was there before they turned up, then two heavies arrived and cleared a space for them next to me and kept people from bothering them - to their credit they watched the whole gig :)

You can hear it recorded on the Jams version of Solid bond, certainly sounds like it.
Later features on solo Freak Album

As I understand it, Paul was looking for a drastic change in sound and Bruce tried a more modern bass to get more punch.
However, what ever he played, he was still Bruce and sounded like Bruce and why not.

If the truth be told I think Polydoor had more to do with the break up by criticizing the new work they were producing so Paul pulled the plug on the Jam using the new material for the style council, Solid Bond, speak like a child, shout to the top and walls come tumbling down were all really Jam tracks that he took with him.
They were contracted to 2 more albums with Snap and Dig the new breed killing off the contract.

Anyone got any idea what amps he was using around late '82 - for this performance he's got 2/3 stacked flight cased Marshall heads with an open metal grille (as opposed to the normal fabric weave). Always wondered...

I'm lazily assuming they are some variant of a Superbass ?!!!

I think the fact they went pop, like the best light bulb you have ever had is what made them legendary.
They will never reform, make no mistake about that, the legend will stay where it ended, right at the top of the game and they stopped and got off.

I wonder how many other bands wish they had done the same.

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1398110680' post='2430612']
Anyone got any idea what amps he was using around late '82 - for this performance he's got 2/3 stacked flight cased Marshall heads with an open metal grille (as opposed to the normal fabric weave). Always wondered...

I'm lazily assuming they are some variant of a Superbass ?!!!
[/quote]They just look like regular JMP Superbasses but in a semi open case, as you say. What an array of different cabs though!

Edited by The fasting showman

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1398079842' post='2430130'] However, what ever he played, he was still Bruce and sounded like Bruce and why not. [/quote]

Exactly! If I had my eyes shut, I would have struggled to tell whether he was playing a Ric, Precision or Aria on that track!

Great sound and a great player who doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO.