Why become a member? ×

Extending anchor point of B string with nut / washers

Greggo

I was playing my fiver before wishing the low B had a bit more tension without having to go to a higher gauge, then I remembered that the Yamaha BB415 series has a weird shaped bridge where the anchor point is further back than other strings to give a bit more length to it.

I was thinking I could achieve similar affect by getting a metal nut / washer that is big enough to feed length of string through, but small enough so that the ball end doesn't slip through it. By feeding the nut all the way down so that is snug to the ball end I would then string up bass and the idea is that this nut extends the anchor point of the string so that it hopefully increases tension.

If I can get the size of the nut right does anyone think this should have a positive effect? Anyone done this before?

I personally think it's potentially a good idea as a work around on an inexpensive bass to get the B that little bit better. I appreciate intonation might be a issue to get dead on though.

Edited by Greggo

Yep, Howiebass is correct, it isn't going to affect the tension. You could make the ballend go half a mile back behind the bridge and its not going to increase tension across the two fixed points (saddle and nut). It would seem the reason they made the Yamaha bridge like that is to allow for more room for intonation as the B can be hungry for room sometimes!

Changing the anchor point of the string won't have any effect on the tension at all. It may have a slight effect on the compliance (stiffness) of the string, but IME the get any noticeable results you need to add a couple of inches to the non-speaking length of the string and it must be free to vibrate within that length.

The fanned fret system (such as with a Dingwall) is how to create more tension where the longer scale length does offer a tighter low B. I had to take a few millimetres off the B string adjustment screw on my Curbow 5 because I couldn't achieve perfect intonation for it (the saddle was as far back as possible and of a design where the screw went into, not through the saddle).

B415 bridge is staggered like that so that you have a bit more adjustability and to ensure the silks don't sit on the barrel if it's adjusted right far back. Nothing to do with tension. They could've just made the whole bridge longer, but I reckon they did it this way as a gimmick so people would believe it offered them better tension.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1398291591' post='2432676']
I would have thought that, if anything, increasing the non-speaking but stretchable length of the string would tend to increase the compliance (perceived as reduced tension), but I can't think that an extra few mm will make a significant difference either way.
[/quote]

In theory, as long as friction didn't get in the way, you would be correct!

If you have more string length behind the saddle, if you did a string bend, that extra length could slip over the anchor point, providing more give/compliance. I could see this happening on a bridge with smooth round saddles, but not on a bridge like my BB1025X where the strings sit on a sharp fulcrum that digs into the string windings.

Edited by dannybuoy

• 1 year later...

I would have thought that, if anything, increasing the non-speaking but stretchable length of the string would tend to increase the compliance (perceived as reduced tension), but I can't think that an extra few mm will make a significant difference either way.
[/quote]

+1
A 'Tip' along these lines is in Gary Willis's '101 Bass Tips' Book.
But I always thought it makes no real sense !
Would be interesting to hear any technical view to the opposite...

[/quote]

+1. Guitarists & bassists that do lots of string bends tend to prefer 3+3 or 2+2 headstocks rather than 6 or 4 in line tuners for that very reason. You have to stretch more to get a similar increase in pitch on the longer strings on 4 or 6 in line instrument (like the G string on most fender basses!).

That's my understanding anyway!.