Why become a member? ×

Valuing a Bass For Sale?

JayX

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here and things have changed a bit!

I've kinda lost heart in playing over the last few years after my beloved V6 got broken, and think having my main bass just sat in my room collecting dust is doing nobody any favours. I need the money and so it's time to part ways.

However I see there's a charge for selling here now and a few other elements with regards to pricing/offers - totally understandable. For someone who was never in so deep to know values of particular models, is there a decent way (or even a thread here perhaps that I've not been able to find) of gauging a rough selling price so I can know whether i. it's worth me listing or keeping ii. I'm asking a fair price for both seller/buyer.

I won't mention the model here as I don't want it to look like I'm trying to use this as my 'For Sale' thread, but I've looked through the selling forum and only a few similar have been sold close to mine in the last few years (despite it not being uncommon). I found an almost exact one that sold on the US bass talk site, which I think went for $750 last year. Any rough $>£ I should aim for?

Or am I simply best off putting on eBay and linking here int he eBay forum?

[quote name='JayX' timestamp='1398034998' post='2429811']...Or am I simply best off putting on eBay and linking here int he eBay forum?[/quote]

Sorry, Jay, but that is forbidden by Marketplace rules (give them a read-through..? They're linked below...)

Surely there's a price for which you'd be content enough to accept..? Put in an ad for that much; if no-one 'bites', it'll be because they find it too high, so you could bring it down a touch..? Sooner or later someone will snap it up, wouldn't they..? I'm far from expert (I've never sold anything, anyway...), but I'd suggest just jumping straight in, the water's not that cold..!
Hope this helps.

I don't think you're supposed to link to your own eBay listings, but I suggest considering the following:[list=1]
[*]What did it cost you, and how long ago was that? You are probably looking at 50-60% of that figure tops, unless it's 'now considered vintage/collectable/desirable.
[*]Log into eBay and do a search for your bass, then select 'Completed Listings' - what prices did they sell for (green figures), what asking prices didn't sell (red figures) - aim for a figure in between.
[*]What are people asking for the same or similar basses on Basschat? By all means ask for that but be prepared to be haggled down - buyers generally expect this, and expect that you will expect it too!
[*]Have a look on prepal.com to see if your bass is listed, and whether its value is rising or falling.
[*]Ask yourself - what would I be happy getting for this, and how low would the price go before you would rather keep it?
[/list]
If I have stated the obvious then at least no-one has been killed or injured!

D'oh, I'm sure the old eBay forum was for linking your own things (or maybe not, I might have always misunderstood its purpose!). Don't worry, I wouldn't post in there or the other selling forums without double checking every related rule!

I did check eBay earlier, and sadly only one completed item that comes close, and that's a (worse!) colour than mine and has 5 strings not 4. It also went enough under that made me not really want to list it to be honest.

I probably will just bite the bullet and stump up the cash and list tomorrow when I can get photos/serial etc so I can at least do it some justice! Thanks for the advice guys.

Oops, completely missed the most important part of your post!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1398035626' post='2429817']
I don't think you're supposed to link to your own eBay listings, but I suggest considering the following:[list=1]
[*]What did it cost you, and how long ago was that? You are probably looking at 50-60% of that figure tops, unless it's 'now considered vintage/collectable/desirable.
[*]Log into eBay and do a search for your bass, then select 'Completed Listings' - what prices did they sell for (green figures), what asking prices didn't sell (red figures) - aim for a figure in between.
[*]What are people asking for the same or similar basses on Basschat? By all means ask for that but be prepared to be haggled down - buyers generally expect this, and expect that you will expect it too!
[*]Have a look on prepal.com to see if your bass is listed, and whether its value is rising or falling.
[*]Ask yourself - what would I be happy getting for this, and how low would the price go before you would rather keep it?
[/list]
If I have stated the obvious then at least no-one has been killed or injured!
[/quote]

1. I actually bought it on here! Sadly it was the old site and I don't believe there's any backups of that? A shame as the original owner probably knew more about it than me. I'm hoping the 50/60% element doesn't ring true based on the fact I bought it s/h already. I remember it's retail being around £1200 and I paid close to £600 delivered. I would probably want at least £500 after shipping.

2. Only one, as per above reply, went for £417 with 10 bids. But different string, not as nice a colour etc. I think the older versions of my bass are preferred and think his was newer than mine.

3. Yeah been trying to find similar on here, unfortunately one of the few threads was just an argument about its legitimacy! Hope I don't get that hehe.

4. Sounded perfect... until my manufacturer wasn't listed :( Bizarre though, it's a pretty standard go-to make, nothing boutique.

5. I think that's the key point. I'd like to think I could get within £100 of what I paid on here, but I don't know if the market is generally cheaper now than it was back in around 2005 or so. I'm guessing it probably is.

Thanks again

The US one you saw would cost about £600 in the UK and prices on used stuff are generally a little higher than in 2005 (this is a real generalisation of course).

Something you paid £600 for then ought to have retained its value.

I'd list at £620 to cover your costs and add £30 for UK shipping (this is really easy to organise).

That way you don't lose any money and no-one will think your price is particularly 'unfair' :)

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1398331895' post='2432901']
Sounds like a pretty reasonable expectation to me.
[/quote]
That sounds reasonable. If I have had some kit for a while and used it, then taking a bit of a hit is to be expected. In such circumstances, I do not go along with ' I want to get what I paid for it' camp.