Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic is definately better than Markbass !!

cliffyspliff

I'm loving the TC amps, I have 2 RH750's. For me the TC offers way more than the Mark bass but It's all about what works for you and meets your needs as a player. I've used many Mark bass amps and for me their flat sound is very scooped which makes the bass sound nice and warm and crisp but might not be everyone's cup of tea. I personally prefer a flatter response. I've heard some amazing bass players sound amazing through Mark bass and I've heard some amazing bass players sound amazing through the TC Stuff.

So it doesn't really matter.

I made a video about 5 things I love about the RH750.
Check it out and you'll see why I love it.
http://youtu.be/n0_8q2N1Qug

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1410901183' post='2554584']
Yeah, know what you mean. I know it's totally superficial, but this is probably the only sense in which I would agree with the OP. TC gear looks 21st century. Same with GK - all those blue, purple and red colour rings and stuff - pretty, pretty, wanty wanty. In comparison, got to admit that Markbass stuff looks a bit ... well ... 1975. A pity, really, as it sounds fantastic.
[/quote]

Got to agree with the above. I've gone from Markbass to TC and then back again. When I originally bought my Markbass head I chose the MoMark ([url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=212"]http://www.markbass....tail.php?id=212[/url]) over the LM3 due to the aesthetics and modular design. I don't love the yellow knobs but they are easy to see in a gig situation.

I really like the feature set and aesthetics of the RH450 but, for me, the Markbass sound has won over the RH450 twice now despite the amps not being as good to look at (IMO).

Edited by gazhowe

I've just switched to Aguilar but I've been using Markbass for years and I love it.
Last night I had a gig and had the use of the previous band's rig (TC RH450 with GK 410) or the house head (GK2001) with the same cab.
The TC was wooly with no definition and was so lost in the mix, even the sound engineer suggested I change to the GK which sounded much more rounded and full. I wish I'd taken my MB LMII. My admittedly one and only experience of TC heads was not a good one.

Essential things to buy along with your TC BG250 combo.

Fire extinguisher for when the amp goes pop and pours smoke.

Fireman Sam yellow helmet, just so you look the part.

Other amp that you have had for almost 10 years, to use when the above happens.

That`s all.

Edited by jezzaboy

That made me chuckle - just sent back my bg250 2x8 because every time I switched it on it went pop, there was a bright flash of sparks from the preamp and a burning plastic smell. Nice to know I was not an isolated case. Very cheap combo but very boxy, plasticky sounding and clear qc issues.

I previously ran a bh250 head through an rs210 and previous to that an rh450 with an rs210. In each case I was drawn by the aesthetics and the abundance of 'extras' for the price - tuner, tone print, flashy lights etc.

However, they all sounded lacking in character. In between these TC experiences, I was fortunate enough to pick up a Genz shuttle 3t10 combo very cheap, and the difference in tone was astounding. The basses sounded round, clear, punchy and alive - and you could hear the true tone of each bass much more distinctly (status s2000, Kingbass and Alembic series 1)

I am always tempted to try Markbass but would dearly love the little Genz again. Shame Fender bought them up and shut them down.

Edited by Paul Clifton

I'm struggling to agree with that, partly because TC are so misleading. The RH750 is NOT 750 watts. They straight up lied about their specs and only released this info after much pressure from customers. The marketing still says its 750 watts, but its not really - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tc-electronics-rh750-vs-carvin-bx500.858647/"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tc-electronics-rh750-vs-carvin-bx500.858647/[/url]

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1398084138' post='2430211']
I found the TCbg 500 lost tone and volume halfway through the gig, put it down to speakers getting hot and amp running flat out.
Headroom is king.
[/quote]

I ended up ditching a 500W Ampeg rig (Portaflex cabs and head) as it couldn't cope with practising let alone gigs - just no definition at even moderate levels (2x10 and 1x15 cabs). Switched to MB Big Bang head and Traveller 1x12 and 1x15 cabs. So much louder and tighter. The 1x12 is enough on its own but looked too small with the guitarists 4x12 marshalls...

Not all 500W seem to be 500W!

Edited by Iain

I'd put Markbass above TC with confidence, even tho I am not a committed MB fan at all.
Whether their production move affects them, remains to be seen. I can't see why reliability
SHOULD be an issue, but time may tell.
It terms of minimum spec/quality, I'd say Markbass is a good place to start... and quite a few makers
don't get there, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1411978930' post='2564414']Whether their production move affects them, remains to be seen. I can't see why reliability SHOULD be an issue, but time may tell.[/quote]

I've had my MB setup for quite a while now - rehearsal and gig it's been faultless. The BB head hasn't been lacking but it's not been needed to be cranked up high.

Looks like we've got a bonfire night gig off the back of a lorry, so open air... will be interesting to see how it copes with that as I doubt the PA will be Glastonbury spec!

Gigged my Markbass CMD102P combo for 7 years-replaced the tweeter once,but other than that it's been faultless.
Used it with a Traveler 15p extension cab for a while,but settled on a Traveler 102 in the end.
Over the last 25 years I've owned amps from Trace,Ampeg,Roland,SWR,Marsall,pretty much every thing that's out there in some form or other.
I had a brief flirtation with TC a couple of years back-to my ears I found their cabs sounded closer to the old Roland "modelled" sound with a slightly artificial-sounding high end-though I did get a nice tone from a RH450,an EBS cab and a passive jazz that was provided for a gig I did a while back.
I tend to use my Jazz bass with Status neck /East pre for my "standard" gigs,and it sounds fantastically balanced.Also sounds great with my old passive Yamaha fretless,and my active Jaydee-three totally different beasts,sonically.
It's the only amp that I've ever owned that I can honestly say I see no reason to change.
Totally relaible,sounds great,plenty of tone,plenty of on-stage power,weighs nowt....(or it did 7 years ago ha)

As usual with anything to do with music and personal taste,it's horses for courses...but it's MB over TC all day for me.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1412190747' post='2566679']
Really? B) Yellow Speakers?
[/quote]
Its an Italian (or Indonesian) thing I suppose . [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWs0FrEKs3c"]https://www.youtube....h?v=LWs0FrEKs3c[/url]

I for one, like the yellow cones

Edited by leroydiamond

As mentioned in another thread somewhere - it'll be interesting to see what happens to TC once they are sold.

The theory is that they need capital to expand further but then that's what most companies say when the founders have had enough and want to take the money out of the business and either slowly retire or go off and do something else.

Obviously it'll depend on who buys them but so many musical equipment businesses seem to go downhill and/or bust once they've been bought by someone else :(

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1412185848' post='2566619']
Is there a point to this thread.
[/quote]
I'd be interested to know the size of the test group of amps from each manufacture the OP has tested before he came to the conclusion that he can definitively declare that MB are unreliable. If that sample is less than 10 from each manufacturer what he's saying is, in its self, unreliable.

IMHO. of course

:P

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1412530059' post='2569645']
I'd be interested to know the size of the test group of amps from each manufacture the OP has tested before he came to the conclusion that he can definitively declare that MB are unreliable. If that sample is less than 10 from each manufacturer what he's saying is, in its self, unreliable.

IMHO. of course

[/quote]

I believe the thread was started after the OP bought my TC Classic head!

[b][quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1412530059' post='2569645']

IMHO. of course

[/quote][/b]

[b]Was just making a statement as I do prefer the sound.... of the TC...[/b]

[b]Plus i have had TWO newish Markbass cmd102p`s bite the dust on me during gigs.... thank god they were still under warranty[/b]

[b]Im also sorry for spelling DEFINITELY wrong in the title :gas: [/b]

• 3 weeks later...

haven't used any tc gear, but heard a band where the bass player was using a rh450 with 2x210 cabs ....this was in a fairly small pub and I noticed the output volume set at 3'oclock!!... the sound wasn't that loud....so I think it could be underpowered.