Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic is definately better than Markbass !!

cliffyspliff

The Markbass F500 is a cracking amp, and with a lot more oomph than the more common LM2/3. Within a rock setting, the F500 is probably the best micro amp I have ever used, with the ability to punch through the mix with considerable aplomb. Acres of headroom with this baby IME and superb EQ possibilities.
Sadly it is no longer in production.

I agree that the F500 is a good amp, but its a little big to be called a micro - I'd be interested in a revised version...

The title of this thread "[size=4][color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]definately" (sic) [/font][/color][/size][size=4]has to be a wind up, both TC and Markbass have a wide range of products to suit all tastes and styles, both are innovative and have their place, but one better than another - [/size]really?

I recently got the TC RH750 and have to say it ticks the boxes for me , played through a Schroeder 21012L with the side firing 12 , and I get lots of sound , and lots of tone and a ton of headroom , it cuts through superbly and has resulted in plenty of favourable comment on the tone , but then it is very difficult to fully appreciatte the sound out front when you are stood on top of the cab .
A sound check for levels , doesn't give you much apart from the tone at the time , and the levels, I havent had the chance to mess fully at rehearsals as we have been to busy gigging , I know I should have spent more time knowing the amp , but to me it seems far more intuitive than the pf500 I had , the compressor seems to make sense to me and the tubetone thing provides a lovely bit of grind . I love it , but better , I couldn't comment on .

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1398187846' post='2431411']
I agree that the F500 is a good amp, but its a little big to be called a micro - I'd be interested in a revised version...

The title of this thread "[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]definately" (sic) [/font][/color]has to be a wind up, both TC and Markbass have a wide range of products to suit all tastes and styles, both are innovative and have their place, but one better than another - really?
[/quote]

? They don't come much smaller than the The Markbass F500 :scratch_one-s_head: Nor much better :)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1398186130' post='2431374']
The Markbass F500 is a cracking amp, and with a lot more oomph than the more common LM2/3. Within a rock setting, the F500 is probably the best micro amp I have ever used, with the ability to punch through the mix with considerable aplomb. Acres of headroom with this baby IME and superb EQ possibilities.
Sadly it is no longer in production.
[/quote]

Have you tried the Big Bang?

It's my personal favourite MB head. Seems to sit somewhere between the F500 and LMIII tonally and has a few more features than the LMIII as well.

Edit - here's a review of the Big Bang that directly compares it to both heads :

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/iphone/article.php?id=1397751&id_issue=158781&src=&ref=

Edited by molan

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398121738' post='2430767']
That would be interesting! I'd like to see the power section/module tested without the ABM.

I don't like super deep low bass. Barefaced cabs can clearly handle it but I find a lot of deep low bass muddies the tone, sounds too 'enveloping' and makes a mess on stage. It's why the 8x10 might be an old/not very efficient design, but the low end is just right for stages. Leave the deep lows to the PA.

That's just me. Maybe if I was playing gospel/dub/reggae/ things would be different.

[/quote]

Ha ha ..you still wouldn't be popular with the stage crew/mon mix engr so the point is very valid IMO.
And besides, lots of bass is an absolute tone killer as well,
but that aside,
I don't have a great deal of time on either TC or Markbass compared to some..but I passed them pretty quickly.
I'd expect Markbass to be the better of the two but it depends on the Pacific rim QC and the continued ethic.

Soundwise, my feeling is that Markbass flatlines at a loud volume, in a way that I don't really like, and the RH750
pumps it out in a too cultured sound. Not cultured in terms of 'good; sound, but maybe 'processed' is a better word.

But..at this price point, they both do well enough and there isn't that much distance between them, IMO.
I mean, basically, you are looking at a lightweight head before all else.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1398239657' post='2431867']
Have you tried the Big Bang?

It's my personal favourite MB head. Seems to sit somewhere between the F500 and LMIII tonally and has a few more features than the LMIII as well.

Edit - here's a review of the Big Bang that directly compares it to both heads :

[url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/iphone/article.php?id=1397751&id_issue=158781&src=&ref="]http://btpub.boyd-pr...58781&src=&ref=[/url]
[/quote]

Just out of interest, are the Big Bang heads made in Indonesia as of now, or still Italy for the time being?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398243784' post='2431918']
Just out of interest, are the Big Bang heads made in Indonesia as of now, or still Italy for the time being?
[/quote]

I think everything is slowly being moved over to Indonesia.

I've tried a few things and made there now and I can't hear any differences and build quality seems identical so far. Obviously it's early days yet.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398266365' post='2432255']
Then it's slowly moved back in a shipping container.
Funny how economies work, isn't it? :)
[/quote]

Definitely. Having just read how Vox changed the AC30's, it seems bizarre thar its cheaper to get an overseas company to make an amp then buy it in the UK, rather than make it in the UK then buy it!

[quote name='fred72' timestamp='1398182428' post='2431308']I've not gigged with the full band yet, but I must admit I was practicing with the guitarist yesterday... he was playing through my little BadCat 5w amp and even though I was turned way down I had to crank the treble on the SB14 all the way up to cut through...
[/quote]

I always do a little chin-scratch when I hear a bass player talk about 'cutting through', as I wonder if they are trying to compete in guitarist territory. I prefer to carve out my own sonic niche in the nether regions of sound. After all, it is called a bass guitar.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1398273457' post='2432373']
I always do a little chin-scratch when I hear a bass player talk about 'cutting through', as I wonder if they are trying to compete in guitarist territory. I prefer to carve out my own sonic niche in the nether regions of sound. After all, it is called a bass guitar.
[/quote]

Good point, but I always take 'cutting through' to mean 'being audible in any way'. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398273709' post='2432378']

Good point, but I always take 'cutting through' to mean 'being audible in any way'. ;)
[/quote]

Fair enuffski. Sadly I have known bassists who really do want to 'compete' with the skinny-stringer(s).

I think the "cutting through" definition depends on the band. If there's guitarists, you're gonna have to do one of 2 things. 1- turn the bass down on their rigs so they're not playing bass, or 2- turn up your mids & play guitar.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1398324010' post='2432795']
I think the "cutting through" definition depends on the band. If there's guitarists, you're gonna have to do one of 2 things. 1- turn the bass down on their rigs so they're not playing bass, or 2- turn up your mids & play guitar.
[/quote]

Yes, guitarists are just as guilty as bass players of finding their sound in isolation then wondering why it sounds crap at gigs or rehearsal. Guitars should (imho) have some bottom end rolled off to leave frequency space for bass and kick.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398331385' post='2432896']
Yes, guitarists are just as guilty as bass players of finding their sound in isolation then wondering why it sounds crap at gigs or rehearsal. Guitars should (imho) have some bottom end rolled off to leave frequency space for bass and kick.
[/quote]

+1. I currently play in a three piece and the frequencies that the guitarist's amp hit, leave plenty of space for the bass to cut through. However at a gig recently he was trying out a different set up and it crashed right in on my tone.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1398332936' post='2432920']
+1. I currently play in a three piece and the frequencies that the guitarist's amp hit, leave plenty of space for the bass to cut through. However at a gig recently he was trying out a different set up and it crashed right in on my tone.
[/quote]

I'm in a 3+1 and have educated the guitarist on this point. Luckily he's relatively ego-free (for a guitarist) so all is well. :)
Mind you I can't imagine how difficult it would be with two guitarists, keyboards, brass and three vocalists...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398333110' post='2432925']
I'm in a 3+1 and have educated the guitarist on this point. Luckily he's relatively ego-free (for a guitarist) so all is well. :)
Mind you I can't imagine how difficult it would be with two guitarists, keyboards, brass and three vocalists...
[/quote]

That set up would be challenging for sure. In such circumstances the bass player might well have to compensate, in order to hit on a tone that works best for the group rather than just the bass player