Why become a member? ×

First outing with my Vintage V4 Tony Butler

bonzodog

Great gig last night and first time I used my new Tony Butler bass. Cant believe how good it sounded through my Hartke rig.
Straight out of the box the action was great and inotation spot on.
Really cut through the mix and felt really comfortable.
I just cannot understand how theses basses are only 200 quid brand new.

I have one too. TBH I was disappointed with the suppled strings and a new set sorted that out. The action is great but after a few gigs I'm not too sure about it as a main gigging bass. Something is just missing but I have been gigging my Ray for year's so it's going to sound different and it's not really fair to compare these 2 side by side. I mainly use it for practising.

I did have an issue with mine at first due to it's light weight. I though something was wrong and started a thread about it.

Still great value for the money though and I'm glad you like yours.

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1398113866' post='2430658']
Put flats on it!
These are great basses IMO,and I'm happy with mine.
I had neck-dive issues,but sorted this with a suede backed strap and by moving the rear strap button to by the top contour.
Enjoy.
[/quote]

Yes thats exactly what I am going to do. I already have a wide strap anyway as I suffer with a prolapsed disc and this helps. I also adore the colour of black on black with a maple neck

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1398447486' post='2434299']
What's the fretwork like on them? My experience of vintages including my own is that although well built and good sounding the fret ends can be a bit sharp.
[/quote]

I had to stone down the fret ends on my Vintage as they were a bit sharp.....i think that was my only gripe about it though.