Why become a member? ×

Stingray Indent Pots Question.....

Deedee

Hi all

This may be a dumb question but here goes anyway.....

I've just purchased a 2005 3eq Stingray to go with my 2011 2eq and US SUB 2eq. Very nice it is too.

My question is, did the pots on the 2eq Stingrays ever have the centre indent that the 3eq models have? If not, is it a big job to add them?

Cheers

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1398089317' post='2430275']
No the 2 EQ models never had them, as far as I'm aware - It wouldn't be too big a job to just replace the pots, but don't you just run everything full up on a Stingray anyway?? ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, you just might be right 😎

I've got a terrible feeling that this may be leading me down the road of GAS for another 3 band........

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1398108035' post='2430579']
Centre is not neutral for a 2eq anyway :)
[/quote]

That'd explain it then. What's the thinking/reason for it being different then? (Sorry, I guess you don't work for ernie ball)

One way to do it - not the cheapest, mind - would be to go for a John East 3 band 3 knob preamp.

It's setup as a pretty close copy of the original 2EQ with bass and treble on a stack knob where the treble control would normally be. Centre detentes on the half-way points, but they're only a convenient reference point, not really an indicator of any sort of flatness.

Where the bass control would normally be is another stack knob as a sweepable mid. Boost/cut has a centre indent and this one is supposed to be flat on the click, so should be just like a regular 2EQ.

I've put one in my USA SUB (accidentally bought a passive one after not checking the ebay ad close enough!) and like it a lot.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1398120956' post='2430760']

That'd explain it then. What's the thinking/reason for it being different then? (Sorry, I guess you don't work for ernie ball)
[/quote]
I remember reading on the EB forum that on a 2eq one is cut/boost and the other is cut only. They affect each other a bit too. Not sure now but I think the bass is cut/boost and treble is cut only, that would make the most sense anyway :)

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1398145499' post='2430815']

I remember reading on the EB forum that on a 2eq one is cut/boost and the other is cut only. They affect each other a bit too. Not sure now but I think the bass is cut/boost and treble is cut only, that would make the most sense anyway :)
[/quote]

Cheers for that. I think I'll get looking on the EB site then for clarification.