Why become a member? ×

Input jack corroded - might this be the cause of sound issues?

Jigster

Hi all - when I plug into the input socket I'm getting loads of noise and a loud horrible hum. It's like there's plenty of feed in there, but there's no seeming connection to the strings, I pluck them and the hum just overrides everything.

- it's like if you have your a lead in your amp, and run your finger over it at the plug end.

I took the plate off and I found a wee bit of corroded metal in the hole, which looks like it's off the input jack - it's unearthly crackling hum?

Any thoughts? Many thanks

If it's visible flaking corrosion then you need a new jack socket. Get something good quality - Neutrik / Switchcraft / Rean / Cliff etc. - depending on what fits and it should be good for ages.
If more like surface tarnish then I'd suggest cleaning with a Caig DeOxit product to remove oxidisation products and a swab with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to degrease.
But given that the Caig DeOxit stuff isn't cheap then if you don't need it for other contacts and are okay with a soldering iron it might work out better to get a new jack socket anyway.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1398102836' post='2430514']...I took the plate off and I found a wee bit of corroded metal in the hole, which looks like it's off the input jack...[/quote]

Don't forget to tip the water out of your hardcase, too..! :ph34r:

There's something wrong with the way your bass is/has been stored, I'd say. Certainly get the socket changed, but investigate why it's become so corroded at all..? :huh: