Why become a member? ×

A change in band genre

JamesBass

So I joined a POP-Punk/Punk Rock band about 2 months ago, they were about 60% done on their first album having recorded bass drums and guitars before I joined. In the 2 months I've been playing with them, not much more has been done on the album, we've been getting me up to speed, which is fair enough. However, yesterday at practice, the singer and guitarist have announced they want to take the second album and sound of the band in a different direction. They want to look to head more in a ska direction, now I'm not a huge lover of ska, it's never been my thing. So we were jamming an idea out yesterday to get a feel for this possible new sound, and the second guitarist pipes up with, I think the bass is too loud in the mix, it's also playing too much, you need to play root notes mate nothing more than root notes. Now I'm not a huge ska aficionado but that's not typical of ska bass.

So my dilemma is do I fight to keep the style or should I just walk away now?

Hmm... Ska bass lines are simple, yet cover a lot of ground melodically. Not just root notes.

In any case, if Ska isn't your thing... and given the attitude of the singer and guitarists... I'd look for something else.
[size=4]Sounds like if you opposed them you'd be making a lot of work for yourself with nothing good to show for it. :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

Ah the old... 'only play root notes' chestnut...

I've had that couple of times... the next sound they hear from me is the zip on my gigbag as I prepare to leave...

If a band starts telling you what to play you have to nip it in the bud early, otherwise it'll just be you playing someone elses stuff...

If they don't like your basslines they can find someone else.

Edited by CamdenRob

Whilst fully agreeing with both Mark and Rob, it all comes down to context.

If you're doing this for fun, then walk away and find some more like-minded musicians.

If this band is important to you though, it has to be worth saying "Let's go down the pub and have a chat about this".

Obviously we haven't heard what you played, so can't tell whether it was a good fit for the song, but typically ska bass will be simple repeated triads or walking basslines, ensuring that the rhythm adds to the down beat, adding to the 'bounce' of the ska feel. I'd say keeping to the root would be highly unusual, but may work in some instances.

That's all the diplomatic stuff out of the way. Your guitarist sounds like a knob. Leave ;-)

Edited by Roland Rock

If you want it to be good, then you need empathy with the style of the band.
If you can't get that, or don't want to, then it isn't going to work anyway.
The ante of all this gets ramped up the more successful the band is...
so you don't pick a rock bass player for a funk gig for when it really matters...

I think you know where this is heading... it all depends on the timing and is also, maybe,
worth a chat about direction. If they made this decision on their own, then they seem
to consider you as a sideman... and an expendable one at that. People and bands talk
about committment and atitude etc etc ... but what they mean and want, sometimes, is a
hired hand.... but not being willing or able to pay for it.

Have the chat to confirm what you are already thinking..???

From my experience the good bands that I've been in, as a rule, naturally find the music shifts direction rather than suddenly deciding they aren't one thing and are now another. Personally I'd talk it through with them but it does rather sound like the writing is on the wall.

Hmm, I've briefly spoken to them while at practice yesterday, the feeling was mixed from the drummer who seems more than happy to just do whatever, but I've certainly felt that the two guitarists, who have up till now done the majority of writing, want me to play exactly what they've written and are a bit hesitant to have me improv things and input too much, might just be the way i've been reading things, but I must say there's always been an underlying feeling there.

I think I have my answer, so thank you ladies and gents of bass chat!

If you like scars so much, here, have another one!!! (DOINK!)

Seriously, if it is not what you signed up for and you don't like the 'new' genre, I can't see any point in hanging around. Alternatively, I guess you could tell them to point you in the direction of the kinds of recordings that are getting them excited and see if it floats your boat. I know that reggae doesn't really interest me, for instance, but there are some amazing things out there that come under that heading. I suspect you know what you want to do.

I'd be responding with stuff like "How about you only play muted chords on the upstroke" or "I think it'd be better if the 2nd guitar was a saxophone instead" and see how receptive they are to suggestions as they are keen to make them :biggrin:

Get out before you commit yourself too much.

They should understand, you joined under the impression it was one thing and then they've changed it to something else.

Its never fun playing music you dont enjoy even if you get on with the people in your band.

Edit: 50th Basschat post - Woo!

Edited by Weststarx

If the band relationships are working then usually people play what they think works, each to their own speciality, and it just works without people telling others what they should and shouldn't play. I've never told anyone in the bands I've played in what to play, and neither has anyone told me, except when the rhythm guitarist is shouting across the stage "D...D...!!" when I've messed up and wandered off somewhere I shouldn't have! You know what bass works for a song and you should be in the band and respected for that. My thoughts anyway.

Myself, I've no problem with other band members making suggestions about bass lines, particularly if they are the songwriter. It's their song and their vision so I'll do what I can to support them. Sometimes I may suggest changes to [i]their[/i] parts and sometimes they may take them on board. It's all part of working towards excellence.

And as a songwriter myself, I explain to others how I want a song delivered and present initial suggestions about parts. This usually works out well, particularly if one is working with mature musicians. On a few occasions I've had to sack people from bands who refuse to take direction because 'they know best' and get defensively territorial. It's a shame, but if they don't understand the principle of compromise in pursuit of a higher goal they're no use to anyone.

As for the OP, I'd bide my time and see how things progress. If it's a question of adding a few Ska-tinged songs to a pop-punk set list then there are plenty of successful precedents. A sudden change of direction to a full, traditional Ska set is something else and suggests a lack of fundamentals. Drastic mission creep is more of an issue for me and usually merits more serious reconsideration than a few unwanted suggestions about parts.

Anyway, for the OP's inspiration here are some [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/94612-ska-bass-lines-are-awesome"]awesome ska basslines[/url] as compiled by BassChatters a few years ago. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

I'd echo what's been said above.

See what their idea of becoming a 'ska band' means and if you don't like it then call it a day. In the mean time, take some direction on what they want and see how it fits with both you and your bandmates. At the very least it'll be a good exercise in playing in a style - whatever happens to this band, you'll still have that knowledge.

Generally I don't see anything wrong with someone giving me some ideas on what they would like to hear over a piece of music or song they've written - I don't presume that my ideas are the be all and end all of musical options.

Edited by ahpook

I wasn't suggesting my lines were perfect, but that's the thing, it was their lines and I just delivered them, they wanted it simplified so I simplified it and then they wanted it to be root notes, again I did that, but it wasn't right still. It was duck off a waters back, but sadly my back was up at the sudden change and lack of communication I'd had!

This sudden change which has come before the first Pop-Punk styled album, hasn't even been finished, just shows some lack of focus for me.

Give it a couple more rehearsals and then decide. Its all down to enjoyment so if youre not enjoying playing then you wont have the passion so may as well leave.
I personally dont particularly like playing in bands with two guitars anyway but thats just my opinion

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1398184050' post='2431327']
I personally dont particularly like playing in bands with two guitars anyway but thats just my opinion
[/quote]

It does require each guitarist to give each other space and take their turn - having both competing at full whack just ends up with a wall of noise and not much else. I play in a band with 2 guitarists, and although I've had to upgrade amp and cabs to be heard, they do work with each other and take their turns at rhythm/lead and on different songs to mix it up. It also gives me 2 guitars to hide behind, it always feels a bit naked when we do a set with just one guitar if one of the guys is off on holiday. In that I mean mu mistakes are move obvious!

Cheers,
Rich

I left a band earlier this year due to the musical direction not suiting me. Was a shame as I loved the band doing the music we started out on, but I really didn`t like the way it was going. No inter-band differences or anything. If it`s a genre you don`t like, walk. It will only get more and more on your nerves, the band will possibly stagnate, and you may lose mates over it. Do everyone a favour and let a ska-loving bassist fill your shoes.

You're being asked to play nothing but root notes for a musical style you don't like?
Lozz is right, if you stick with it it'll just get on your nerves and it will show, and you'll just end up falling out with everyone. Leave before you start hating it/them.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1398171048' post='2431117']

If they don't like your basslines they can find someone else.
[/quote]

Which is maybe what they actually want? Walk
away!!

Edited by pnefc42

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1398186925' post='2431393']
So if I were to go, other than join my band and the open mic nights, where else can I find other musos?!
[/quote]
Bandmix, Gumtree, the local music shops & work have always provided.

My band took a change in genre from what I started it as. I called a pub meeting & they all wanted to play rock covers. Not my thing, so I left.
Within 4 days I had 2 bands vying for me. One an RnB/Soul band, the other an Electronica band. The best bit was that they both got me through 2 year old adverts.