Why become a member? ×

Fender 84 Sunburst Jazz *Sold*
£1000

CamdenRob

[b]*Sold*[/b]

I'm almost exclusively playing sixers these days, so as nice as they are my Four string jazzes have got to go!

1984 Fender Jazz (83 serial number but 84 neck stamp)

Pretty much flawless and all original. I have replaced the bridge saddles as the originals left the G string sitting slightly too close to the edge of the fretboard for my heavy handed technique. I've gone for some of those fender saddles with the grooves in... I will include the originals with the sale.

Complete with OHSC which was mint untill UPS managed to crack the corner.... It's still perfectly serviceable just has the plastic cracked right through on one corner.

Not looking for trades... need the funds...

Edited by CamdenRob

I really wish I had a grand spare for this, I remember this era of Fender basses being really nice, particularly the sienna 'bursts, this looks great too.
To open a can of worms, I think there is real potential for these standard models really increasing in value. The details regarding the last basses made in '84 before Fullerton went up in a puff of smoke is sketchy at best, there is scope for this being touted as 'one of the last ever basses made at Fullerton etc...', particularly in about 10 years time!
Anyway, hope this helps the sale or makes you keep it, I'd love it! GLWTS.

Martin

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1398278017' post='2432452']
I really wish I had a grand spare for this, I remember this era of Fender basses being really nice, particularly the sienna 'bursts, this looks great too.
To open a can of worms, I think there is real potential for these standard models really increasing in value. The details regarding the last basses made in '84 before Fullerton went up in a puff of smoke is sketchy at best, there is scope for this being touted as 'one of the last ever basses made at Fullerton etc...', particularly in about 10 years time!
Anyway, hope this helps the sale or makes you keep it, I'd love it! GLWTS.

Martin
[/quote]

Agree entirely. I have one of these in Ivory dating from '83. It, too, has all the upgrades that were made at the time - i.e. four bolt neck join with micro tilt, bi-flex truss rod, new tuners, beefed up bridge, straplocks and one-piece scratchplate and control cavity cover. These basses are really under-valued right now and I paid a lot more for mine so this really is a bargain and, potentially, an investment for the future.
A little more information about these basses - and others - can be found in his book "The Fender Bass" by Klaus Blasquiz.
Good luck with the sale! (but, better still, keep it for another 10 years)

Thanks guys, it's a lovely bass, I don't really want to part with it but I need the funds.... Just paid for the Wal and it's left a considerable hole to fill!

Guess it's not disastrous if it doesn't sell, I know I'm going to regret it down the line....

Edited by CamdenRob

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1400683792' post='2456070']
Not usually aroused by Fenders but this is lovely.

GLWTS.
[/quote]

I'm not wanting to let it go if I'm honest.... It's lovely but I'm mostly playing sixers these days so it's just sitting there in it's case.

Edited by CamdenRob

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1403030928' post='2479089']
How much does it weigh please ?
[/quote]

I'll pop it on the scales when I get home tonight...

All I can offer for the moment is the totally quantifiable "it's lighter then my other one"

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1403265844' post='2481296']
Good 'ol Argos :P

[size=4]Look forward to an accurate reading :D[/size][size=4] I can alway send you my digital luggage scales to borrow ?[/size]
[/quote]

My local Argos has gone upmarket recently and replaced the laminated books with ipads... :blink:

I think I need to get hold of a set of luggage scales really, I've a couple of basses I'm trying to shift and I think they will be a handy acquisition.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1403604659' post='2484292']
The only reason this is still here must be because people are skint. To get an 84 in this condition for £800 is remarkable.
[/quote]

Or it might still be here because I don't have any proper scales to weigh it.......

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403769207' post='2485996']
Or it might still be here because I don't have any proper scales to weigh it.......
[/quote]

The early 80s basses were certainly lighter than the offerings from the late 70s. My 84 precision is not heavy and sits very nicely on the strap. I'm sure this Jazz will be the same. I just need to find £800!

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1403863076' post='2487169']
The early 80s basses were certainly lighter than the offerings from the late 70s. My 84 precision is not heavy and sits very nicely on the strap. I'm sure this Jazz will be the same. I just need to find £800!
[/quote]

It's a crap excuse I know but I just haven't had a chance to go out and get some scales.... It's lighter than my 50th anniversary jazz.

Someone is coming round to have a look at it on Monday so it might be on its way out the door anyway.

I'm going through that player / collector thing at the moment... I love having nice basses like this around but in truth I just don't play them. When the Wal arrives the plan is to get down to just that and a quality fretless.