Why become a member? ×

Herbie Flowers Jazz Breakfast, Brighton Corn Exchange

planer

I had the great privilege to meet the great man (again) on Easter Sunday at this gig. I go all the time with my old man and it's very cool to watch old Herbie with his rose-tints firmly in place spin the clock back with some great tunes.

He gave the Jazz a good outing this time, normally it spends 95% of the gig on its stand while he plays the upright, but he must have used it for half the set and it sounds wonderful.

We has a few minutes chat at the end, he spoke to my young son who we take along for the experience - he really seems to love going. Herbie is a true gentleman, always got time to talk, shake some hands and spend time with the little'un. As you can imagine, he's full of stories too.

He's doing ok for 70-something I reckon.

If ever you get the chance to go, don't pass it up.

It's not all jazz either (if that's not your bag), they did Walk On The Wild Side and Space Oddity this time, amongst other classics. Loved it.

Ha..he's just great is'nt he..

I saw him in a funky three piece electric jazz trio at a little food festival in Emsworth Hants a few years ago can you beleive.

It was pouring with rain and they were wearing those transparent coloured rain smocks...lol but what a groove!!. I remember looking around the crowd and wanting to shout out..... people that's Herbie Flowers playing that lovely old blue jazz bass!!...guess I was just a little bit in awe.

Wonder if his electrics got a bit wet. Ha!

Edited by notable9