Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Passive Preamp (EQ)

badboy1984

I've got a Ashdown LB30 and I'm still trying to figure out how to the preamp EQ works. I mainly use my amp flat atm but would like some assist on how the preamp works. I guess the preamp is different then the usual cut and boost stuff?

i.e if the bass, mid, treble switch is engauge how it will effect the EQ.

• 8 months later...

I know that digging up this old thread may not be the best thing to do on a forum, but I think it has to be answered. This passive tone stack is different than Fender one. But no matter what you do, trees always goin to be a little dip on mid friequencies. The eq is pretty subtle (can be extreme on lows and highs of you use the switches). Midrange defines the whole characteristics - more mids = more everything, so sometimes to tame the brightness or lows you have to cut mids. Also this eq sounds good with more "drastic" knob positions, you don't have to be afraid of using the knobs, whereas active preamps tends to behave strange when not used properly. Just use you ears, not eyes.

• 1 month later...

I haven't use my lb30 for a long time cause I only gig with venue gear or straight to the pa with my mxr m80. Decided to plug the lb30 and practice at home. First I would like to say the bass, mid and treble switch position is weird because up position mean engage and down means off. Logically it should be the other way round.

In terms of extreme EQ position, you are right it sounded pretty decent with weird EQ position. I think is to do with the passive tone stack kind of thing. i.e mid all the way up and treble all the way down etc.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1424941132' post='2702079']First I would like to say the bass, mid and treble switch position is weird because up position mean engage and down means off. Logically it should be the other way round.
[/quote]

It is, the default position is up. With bass switch down there is a massive low end boot. Mark says that they are by default all up.