Why become a member? ×

Morrissey

lou24d53

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398614636' post='2435738']
Morrisey is a genius. His music has mostly been crap since he left The Smiths ( would have been great to see them carry on without him with Jimmy Somerville as the new singer) , but he knows a thing or two about generating publicity. Like this whole vegetarian "all I eat is toast" facade. If his career ever starts petering out all he needs to do is announce to the world that he is eating meat again and finding it delicious and he will get such a tidal wave of exposure that money could never buy.
[/quote]
funnily enough, never really 'got' the Smiths, I prefer his solo work TBH

I can assure you Conan, it wasn't exactly a rational decision of mine to post this intellectual, insightful and thought-provoking thread on Saturday night, but one more fuelled by copious over-consumption of red wine after a few dry weekends of late.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1398863429' post='2438396']
Smiths were great but Morrisey is a grade A tool.
[/quote]

+1.

Actually, he's just amazing at the self-promotion thing. It's the people that take him too seriously that proves that he's still working his magic.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1398873527' post='2438538']
I can assure you Conan, it wasn't exactly a rational decision of mine to post this intellectual, insightful and thought-provoking thread on Saturday night, but one more fuelled by copious over-consumption of red wine after a few dry weekends of late.
[/quote]

It's turned out quite well tho. There are a few little gems in this thread :D

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1398850417' post='2438146']
I love the Smiths but Morrissey is definitely a bit up himself....

Another opportunity to post a link to a classic bit of viz...

[url="http://www.omg-ponies.com/post/72216896520/morrissey-is-a-twat"]http://www.omg-ponie...issey-is-a-twat[/url]
[/quote]

i still have that issue.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1398732613' post='2437115']
Whatever else happens, he was in The Smiths. The most vocal critics of Morrissey didn't like The Smiths, and those people can't be trusted.
[/quote]

:)

Indeed. I was a big fan of the Smiths, and still am
There was never anything else quite like them
Morrissey's lyrics are just so funny & witty

However, I didn't care for the whole royalty debacle

Having read a few books about the band, I can see how these things were all
signed & sealed before anyone realised just how big the band would become....
But maybe that should have been sorted beforehand?
You have to ask why Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke signed such contracts in the 1st place
but Morrissey, Marr, the bands legal team and the record company should have ensured that all royalties were equally shared

I think the same thing happened in the Beatles though as well
With Ringo & George not getting their fair share....

All that aside, the Smiths were quite simply, brilliant
Morrissey whilst with the Smiths was surely Englands' finest lyricist (said the Welshman!)

His first solo album was good - but none of his releases have been a patch on the Smiths at their best
with a few tracks singled out for exemption from that.....

Thanks for posting - on a forum where I've read some vociferous criticism of the man

I must be in a very, very tiny minority of people who prefer Morrisey's solo stuff to The Smiths.

The Smiths had some fabulous singles but I found them difficult to listen to across an entire album.

He sure has a way with a lyric :)

I should add that I completely ignore any of the publicity crap that surrounds him and am completely basing my opinion of him based on his music.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1405546600' post='2503010']
I should add that I completely ignore any of the publicity crap that surrounds him and am completely basing my opinion of him based on his music.
[/quote]

I also take this approach.. Completely ignoring all the publicity, I still think he's crap.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1405546600' post='2503010']
[/quote]

I wonder if such a thing is really possible?

Do all those old Gary Glitter fans still enjoy his music? It hasn't changed has it?

Do people still view Rolf Harris's paintings in the same way they used to? They haven't changed have they?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405591631' post='2503298']

Do all those old Gary Glitter fans still enjoy his music? It hasn't changed has it?

Do people still view Rolf Harris's paintings in the same way they used to? They haven't changed have they?
[/quote]

I still like Gary Glitter's old music, he was a part of my childhood and I remember his music from those days rather than the scandal that surrounded him later.

I've never like Rolf though!

Also, I'm not sure Morrisey being a bit of an arse is quite the same as these two (unless I've missed something recently!).

[/quote]

Are these really comparable examples? Morrissey is a bit of an attention seeker and comes up with some questionable opinions in interviews. Gary Glitter and Rolf Harris committed horrible crimes against children. One of those things I can easily turn a blind eye to when regarding their work, the other not so much...

My point is that personalities and actions cannot easily be separated from a piece of work, whether it be music or a painting.

When people look at Harris's paintings now, they carry the burden of knowing that the painter was a paedophile and that affects their viewing experience, even though his paintings are exactly the same as they were before we knew of his sordid past.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1405598227' post='2503421']
Thanks to this thread I've been listening to Morrissey all morning :)

Dug out my early 90's CD's and really enjoying some of them!
[/quote]

And I listened to a few Smiths tracks last night too :)
Absolutely amazing stuff
I sometimes forget just how much I like the Smiths....

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1405598227' post='2503421']
Thanks to this thread I've been listening to Morrissey all morning :)

Dug out my early 90's CD's and really enjoying some of them!
[/quote]

Yup. Viva Hate and Bona Drag get a frequent listening. There are excellent musicians on those albums.

I don't pay attention to his outbursts and only hear about them on here. I don't care, either.

[/quote]

I was never much of a fan in the first place, really. Or Morrisey. [size=4]I like some of Cliff Richard's earlier work though.[/size]