Why become a member? ×

Morrissey

lou24d53

Morrissey gets a very bad press; I can state from personal experience that - in the flesh - he is charm personified.

When he had the flat over mine he went away for the weekend one time and left a tap running. About ten o'clock on Saturday night the missus says 'Why is there a big bubble on the ceiling?' Next minute it all comes down, water and plaster everywhere.

So we cleaned up and put a bucket out then I nipped upstairs and put a note under his door. First thing Monday he comes round, profuse apologies. Workman comes in the same day and by that evening you'd never know there'd been a problem.

He even wrote and recorded a short song for us and gave me the lyric sheet which I reproduce below:

You tell me that the ceiling came down
And it did
It really did
Because you said that it did

A cycle trip over the moors
A snatched kiss on my crossbar
This handsome man stole my clips
My bicycle clips
Perchance I left the tap on in my flat
If I left the tap on in my flat

I couldn't help it
I really couldn't help it
It's what I do
It's what I do-oo-oo

Meet me at the slaughterhouse gates
Oh, meet me at the slaughterhouse gates
If you're there before me
And you're waiting
It's because I'm late

I couldn't help it
It's what I do
It's what I do-oo-oo (repeat to fade)

(Morrisey / Boorer)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Liked him when he first appeared and bought all the Smiths albums. Since then I've found[size=4] his solo stuff unlistenable, power-chord Pub Rock of the worst kind and he is now a bitter and twisted [/size]narcissistic[size=4] twit and a [/size]colossal[size=4] bore.[/size]

[size=4]Why did he think it was perfectly all right not to pay the drummer and [b]BASS PLAYER[/b] in his band? Truculence indeed.[/size]

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1405699779' post='2504477']
[size=4]Why did he think it was perfectly all right not to pay the drummer and [b]BASS PLAYER[/b] in his band? Truculence indeed.[/size]
[/quote]

Truculence and unfettered hubris.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1405608609' post='2503612']
Morrissey gets a very bad press; I can state from personal experience that - in the flesh - he is charm personified.

When he had the flat over mine he went away for the weekend one time and left a tap running. About ten o'clock on Saturday night the missus says 'Why is there a big bubble on the ceiling?' Next minute it all comes down, water and plaster everywhere.

So we cleaned up and put a bucket out then I nipped upstairs and put a note under his door. First thing Monday he comes round, profuse apologies. Workman comes in the same day and by that evening you'd never know there'd been a problem.

He even wrote and recorded a short song for us and gave me the lyric sheet which I reproduce below:
Brilliant

And it did
It really did
Because you said that it did

A cycle trip over the moors
A snatched kiss on my crossbar
This handsome man stole my clips
My bicycle clips
Perchance I left the tap on in my flat
If I left the tap on in my flat

I couldn't help it
It's what I do
It's what I do-oo-oo

Meet me at the slaughterhouse gates
Oh, meet me at the slaughterhouse gates
If you're there before me
And you're waiting
It's because I'm late

I couldn't help it
It's what I do
It's what I do-oo-oo (repeat to fade)

(Morrisey / Boorer)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

The book is quite funny, and he has a few good points about the contracts being witnessed and signed properly despite Joyce and rourkes "assumption" of an equal split, and how the prosecution went for him rather than Marr,who also greatly benefited from the bias.
No solo Morrissey means no November spawned a monster,Suedehead,We hate it when etc and his last four LPs have all done very well indeed.
As I have said before, "a bit of an attention seeker" might well be the best description of a singer I ever heard, and pop/rock stars with controversial attitudes is exactly how they should be.
Or you might prefer One Direction.
Who knows?
; )

The Smiths were my Beatles growing up and I love them dearly to this day.
I kind of went off Morrissey's solo material for a long time but I must say this last decade he's just got better and better again.

He's always got stick since the beginning and he always will, but that's ok.

I love Marmite myself.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1405707771' post='2504624']
..... "a bit of an attention seeker" might well be the best description of a singer I ever heard, and pop/rock stars with controversial attitudes is exactly how they should be.
Or you might prefer One Direction.
Who knows?
; )
[/quote]

Absolutely!
+1 from me

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1405712169' post='2504694']
The Smiths were my Beatles growing up and I love them dearly to this day.
I kind of went off Morrissey's solo material for a long time but I must say this last decade he's just got better and better again.

He's always got stick since the beginning and he always will, but that's ok.

I love Marmite myself.
[/quote]

Another +1

I can well recall Nick Kent saying that by and large, even the Beatles were still singing in an American accent
and that Johnny Marr's approach to songwriting came not from the great blues artists
but from the likes of Bert Jansch
Which made The Smiths the first great, influential, truly English band of all time....

A bit of an over-statement? Maybe
But I grew up with the Beatles and the Smiths
and to me the Smiths were equally as important.....

Edited by Marc S