Why become a member? ×

Absolute Beginners

RickyV

Hi all. Mid - forties, long time tenor sax player from Suffolk with an even longer time desire to play bass and that is exactly what I have been doing for the last couple of months. Picked up a cheap P bass copy on ebay just to see how I got on and have to say I am hooked (I knew I would be!).
So, with a good musical background I am now self-teaching (does everyone do that?) with the aid of one or two decent on-line tuition platforms.
Just playing for fun at the moment but would love to find a band to play in locally eventually. My musical leanings are wide and varied from punk, indie and funk to ska and a huge dose of jazz on the side and I will give anything a go just for the love of playing the bass and to learn.
Now looking to upgrade on a limited budget, probably to a Jazz, so any advice or pointers very welcome.
Looking forward to joining in with the bass 'community'.
Cheers :biggrin:

Good evening, Ricky, and...

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/14389/tekst_welkom~0.gif[/IMG][/URL]

... to the forum. No great expertise here, I'm afraid (I'm largely a drummer... :blush: ), but you'll find heaps of advice and recommendations while scouting through the posts here. :)

Welcome, Ricky!

Dunno about how many use self-teaching. Certainly not everyone, as there are many threads about teacher searches and about experiences with teachers.

As to hints, there's already tons of threads in the Gear section, so my advice would be to find all the "beginner bass" and "budget bass" threads there, and ask more specific questions after having read some of them.
Search keywords would be Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, and Squier Classic Vibe Jazz.
However, if your budget is very tight, you could do a search for "second hand Squier Classic Vibe Jazz".
:D
Other than that, I don't think there's a need to limit yourself to Jazz basses. Oft mentioned good budget basses are Vintage, Cort, Yamaha, Ibanez and probably some others I can't remember right now.

Enjoy!

Bert

• 2 months later...