Why become a member? ×

Korg announce ARP Odyssey synth - - updated

BassTractor

Haven't seen it on BC yet, so here goes:

[url="http://www.korg.com/us/news/2014/0217/"]http://www.korg.com/us/news/2014/0217/[/url]

I'm sooo getting that.

Long ago, I almost got my parents to buy one, but I stumbled on some electrical wires on the shop floor, and, landing on the Odyssey, got bleedingly hurt on its sharp edges.
After that, no sensible words towards my parents of it being OK, and I could love getting hurt everyday for that matter, were of any use.

My mom was not having that devil's child murder machine in da house!
:angry: :D

Edited by BassTractor

• 1 month later...

Slight update: according to a local distributor, Korg are no longer sure about the september 2014 release due to talks about the use of the "Arp" name not being finished.
More time to save money, and get two!

Edited by BassTractor

• 2 months later...

Update:
Korg have confirmed the delay, and now state a less specific "early 2015" instead, claiming they want to make it even better.

They could have spared themselves that last part - - not that it influences my resolve to get it.

In the mean time, Internet Rumour Market officials issue statements with specifications ranging from "KARP MS-Odyssey Mini" to "20% larger and coming in a plethora of colour choices". Sigh.

I bought in a hurry the MS mini and had to sell it to buy the MS Kit. ( ok except loosing some money I am very positive about that)
Now I will wait until they will come with the right version of the Oddisey...no more minis for me...and I really hope the " make it even better" does not mean digital models or sample based sounds.
I hope they will keep the good old concept and construction of Oddisey with added midi and usb.
Just like they did with the MS Kit.
Best

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1410081459' post='2545848']
no more minis for me...
[/quote]

Indeed. They are not for keyboardists.
I'd rather have a space saving keyboardless one (actually: two), and choose my own keys.

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1410081459' post='2545848']
and I really hope the " make it even better" does not mean digital models or sample based sounds.
[/quote]

Nah. I think "make it even better" and "early 2015" is just corporate speak for "we're having a lot of trouble with the rights to the ARP name in some areas, and need extra time - probably more than we say right now, and BTW, we were not convinced by the initial response from the market, so we want to stir up some extra sh*t to make people talk about it".

There is no chance they will not make it analogue, and I also feel that there is no chance they will make it better.

However, I do feel that they will not dare to release it with a big body, big keyboard and big price, and that this is gonna be a KARP mini with a pricing just above the MS-20 mini - something like that - but indeed with MIDI.
I'll buy it at any rate, whatever the outcome, but may not buy two.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1410113763' post='2546289']

Indeed. They are not for keyboardists.
I'd rather have a space saving keyboardless one (actually: two), and choose my own keys.

Nah. I think "make it even better" and "early 2015" is just corporate speak for "we're having a lot of trouble with the rights to the ARP name in some areas, and need extra time - probably more than we say right now, and BTW, we were not convinced by the initial response from the market, so we want to stir up some extra sh*t to make people talk about it".

There is no chance they will not make it analogue, and I also feel that there is no chance they will make it better.

However, I do feel that they will not dare to release it with a big body, big keyboard and big price, and that this is gonna be a KARP mini with a pricing just above the MS-20 mini - something like that - but indeed with MIDI.
I'll buy it at any rate, whatever the outcome, but may not buy two.
[/quote]

I pray you are right ( except for the mini...lol) but I ask myself some questions:
As I know the corporate world ( and I know it pretty well...unfortunately) it is a very poor idea to announce in advance a future release of an already existing brand (be it a joint venture or any other buy/sell brand's name rights) before this deal is secure. For this kind of amateur practice in the real corporate world you got usually...fired.
Now, I looked after all this new release on the net and it was never stated it will be a mini version (that means a lot of cut and short backs potentiometer and internal circuits wise...made in China, etc) - some people may like it, but I don't.
Another hard question is why and WHY are they going Oddisey way when they have already some great analog synths (MonoPoly, Polysix, etc) in their past catalogue??? Considering also that the response of the market for the mini and the kit is absolutely great.
Imagine what a great idea to have a MonoPoly Kit or a Polysix Kit. (at least for me)

So, even that I hope like you that the Korg Oddisey will be a great release I know that in this troubled world of modern profit&loss kind of synth... and that well respected japanese synth companies still strongly believe the sample based workstations are very cool & very hype...everything can happen...and not always in the pure analog way oriented.
If you have more news about this please don't forget to keep us updated.
Thanks.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1410122842' post='2546430']
it is a very poor idea to announce in advance a future release of an already existing brand [...] before this deal is secure.
[/quote]

Idunno, but have read the claim several times that the problem is one area only, and a different owner to the rights there than everywhere else. If this is correct, then maybe this is one of those cases of slightly hasty processes.
The timing of the original announcement last february has been taken to mean that Korg were in a hurry to take some wind from Roland's sails as Roland announced or released something in that price bracket back then. That might explain the mistake somewhat more.

• 4 months later...

Here's an update:

Korg will reveal the new ARP Odyssey officially on January 22 - presumably at NAMM.
After that, it will be available to shops within 30 days.

Functionality is roughly as described earlier, with duophonic capacity and all three different filters (one per Odyssey generation) available, as well as a Drive function (said to be a switch only - not a knob)
Sadly (to my mind at least) they have decided on a compact build with short sliders and reduced size keys (they say "narrow" keys, but pictures seem to show mini-keys.

Three colour schemes are available, but initially it's like this (in the US) :
First, independent shops get the black/orange one (like a Mk. III)
Then Guitar Center gets the black/gold one (like a Mk. II)
Finally, Sweetwater gets the whiteface (like a Mk. I)

US RRP is $999.

Have no info yet about the European market.
Will investigate.

Edited by BassTractor

Aye. Especially at this price point it may seem like the recipe for a crash: not interesting enough for pro players, and too expensive for the ones who're used to entering notes into sequencers through mini-keys, especially if people really believe that Behringer will soon come out with an Odyssey with full size keys, preset memories, advanced MIDI and three different filters at half that price.

(FWIW, I'm not amongst those who believe this, and Uli Behringer has worded his texts around the theme very carefully - in such a way that one is led to believe it, but without him actually having expressed it.)

How tricky is the MS20 Kit to construct?

I was also very interested in the new Moog 37, have you tried one of those? Seems like Moog have suddenly got the price/features right - the 37s seem to be in very high demand, back ordered for ages. I've not been able to try one yet, but the reviews seem very promising.

I'm interested in this Arp too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1420971394' post='2655525']
How tricky is the MS20 Kit to construct?

I was also very interested in the new Moog 37, have you tried one of those? Seems like Moog have suddenly got the price/features right - the 37s seem to be in very high demand, back ordered for ages. I've not been able to try one yet, but the reviews seem very promising.

I'm interested in this Arp too.
[/quote]

An acquaintance has a MS-20 kit. Not too difficult to build from what I've heard, no soldering or anything, all screw/bolt & clip based.

I own a Moog Sub 37 and it's a thing of beauty. I'm waiting on the v1.1 firmware as that really simplifies the modulation routing workflow and the sequencing. Great sounds, being able to play the oscillators duophonically gives loads of options, and having all the functionality on the front panel is great (I HATE menu-diving). Construction isn't quite as chunky as the Little Phatty Stage, and the LP sounds slightly warmer, but the Sub 37 is much more versatile and easier to use in live situations. I haven't got in to serious patch designing yet, but that'll be coming as am in process of joining a band to play synths. Running it through a TC Flashback x4 + Hall of Fame and it's massive.

One other "toy" that I have and can highly recommend is the Arturia Microbrute. Cheap but solidly built, very portable, aggressive, and compatible with volt/octave modular synths like Doepfer/Eurorack. I've got it hooked through my bass rig via an ABY and it provides some interesting alternative textures.

The new ARP looks interesting but not 100% convinced. I'm not in the synth market, but if I wanted more analogue gear I'd be tempted to head towards the Eurorack format as I love the whole "pick & mix" approach that it encourages.

Edit: The Prophet 6 is a very sexy piece of kit, mind!

Edit 2: Just saw a NAMM video and Korg are making a limited edition MS-20 desktop version. I would buy that one personally!

Edited by hairychris

That's a pity and a massive opportunity lost IMO.

I had an MS20 in the 80s and it was my main instrument until I could afford something polyphonic with memories. I bought the MS20 because it looked as if it offered more than the traditional synth with the patch bay, but after I had spent some time with it I soon discovered that all the really interesting routings I wanted to try required access to the signal path, and something that the MS20 doesn't really allow. Leaving you with just a more complicated way of doing routings that other synths managed to do with far more convenient switches.

Adding an MS50 expander opened up a few of the possibilities that I was looking for, but by then I had discovered MIDI and more importantly MIDI CC. It wasn't long before the more adventurous manufacturers were producing instruments where every parameter could be accessed by MIDI CC messages and that opened up all the modulation opportunities that the MS20 promised but didn't really deliver.

Edited by BigRedX

• 11 months later...

The 2600 is essentially ARPs modular synth. While there is a market for modular synths these days, it's all niche and boutique and not really the sort of area that's going to be lucrative for the big manufacturers. However if you really want the 2600 sound it should be possible to find all the Eurorack modules you need to re-create the various elements.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1453201391' post='2957272']
Just noticed this, Korg Minilogue...

[url="http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/16/korg-minilogue-synthesizer-review-the-affordable-polyphonic-analog-synth-youve-been-waiting-for/"]http://www.synthtopi...en-waiting-for/[/url]
[/quote]

what are people's thoughts on the minilogue?