Why become a member? ×

Jazzy jam sessions in Birm

ML94

Check out the Yardbird in Paradise place in Birmingham city centre. They have a jazz jam session every couple of weeks. I think the last one was last weeks so one should be coming up soon. I get a text from the organiser and will post it here for you when i know the next date.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1398782142' post='2437542']
Check out the Yardbird in Paradise place in Birmingham city centre. They have a jazz jam session every couple of weeks. I think the last one was last weeks so one should be coming up soon. I get a text from the organiser and will post it here for you when i know the next date.

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

Hey thanks for the reply. I did see there jam sessions but the last one expired about 3 months ago ! Please keep me updates i would love to get together with some of the musicians down there !

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1398796735' post='2437729']
Hey thanks for the reply. I did see there jam sessions but the last one expired about 3 months ago ! Please keep me updates i would love to get together with some of the musicians down there !
[/quote]

Let me know if you're going. I'd quite like to go along to watch. Wouldn't want to join in just yet as I'm not that experienced at jamming spontaneously, but I'd love to get a feel for what goes on.

S

I've been to a couple at the Yardbird a few years ago. The standard was quite high, it's a bit of a hangout for the guys from the jazz course at Birmingham Conservatoire which is right next door.

They used to have jazz jams at the MAC in Cannon hill park on a Saturday afternoon, they were quite informal and good.

:)

• 4 months later...

Yes, I've recently heard about The Spotted Dog too. I've never been, but I believe it is still a going concern. Quite a high standard I think.
Unfortunately, I have also heard that The Yardbird jams will be finishing soon. I don't know if it is ceasing to be a music venue completely, or if it's just the jam nights that are stopping.

There's a blues jam night at the Tower of Song, Kings Norton, last Thurs of the month. With it being Blues you do get a bit of cross-over into rock so don't know if it's quite what the OP would be after. I went last Thursday. It is very friendly - the standard is quite variable.

When I got up and played I made a bit of a hash of it, tbh. But they were very forgiving, so I think I will be back again next month to try to redeem myself. :)