Why become a member? ×

What size bass to get?

I know I will probably be ridiculed here but I had a question to you experienced DB'ers. I am only a recent convert to upright bass and bought a 3/4 size EUB which is great for silent practise and very convenient for home as I can take it to pieces and stow it in a corner. I am now having a longing for an acoustic bass both for home and to take to low key rehearsals ( I don't gig at present but could amplify with my Fishman pickup and preamp).

My question is this really... Are there any major disadvantages to a 1/2 size vs a 3/4 size bass? This may sound silly, but is a 1/2 size that much smaller than 3/4 size as the scale length is only an inch or so shorter? I get arthritis in my hands at the moment which is unlikely to improve as time goes by, so a slightly smaller scale length would help for longer jam sessions or rehearsals. Plus, a slightly reduced sound could be an advantage when playing acoustically at home but would necessitate amping up a louder sessions.

Problem is, I am 6'4" and don't want to look like a twit playing a tiny bass on a long endpin.
I have looked at the photos online but difficult to gauge the general sizes in relation to things I am familiar with. My initial thought is that I should get the 3/4 but am curious to the other option.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by randythoades

If you have only one bass it should be a 3/4*. But if you feel that the shorter string length (slightly) would be of benefit to you needs then go for it. There are a few guys on BC who have one and there is a slowly growing trend in that direction. A longer end-pin with a 6ft-plus player should attract no comment at all. And so much easier to get in and out of the car for gigs.

*The 3/4 size is not definitive anyway: some are larger and some smaller.

Brilliant, thanks for that. I still intend to keep my EUB as perhaps my main bass, purely for convenience, but it was more to play at home without needing to plug everything in and also for some low key acoustic jams to save me lugging my amp around too. I may give it a try. Thanks

Definately 3/4. There are three giants in the world who have a full size bass and they play orchestral music. :yarr:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]Us little folk need a smaller bass to get around on it fast enough to play Jazz/Folk/Rockabilly etc. :P[/size]

Thanks Bilbo, but I was thinking about getting a smaller bass rather than a 4/4. My 3/4 EUB is a pretty good size for me physically so I am concerned about looking like a c**k with a smaller one. The photos I have found online seem to show very little difference in the bulk of a 1/2 size to a 3/4 size but the shorter scale length is an attractive proposition to my aching knuckles. I may get a cheapy 1/2 size to try out scale length before springing a lot of dosh on one, just to help me decide, or see where my nearest school string stockist is just to have a go.

Thanks Buzzy. I was actually looking at either the Thomann or the Gedo ones. Hmm, maybe my EUB is a large 3/4 size then. It has a very long after bridge length for the strings so I need 4/4 strings but fingerboard scale is only 3/4 length. With my end pin out about two thirds, the nut is level with my eyes. Maybe a 3/4 will have to be the one. I think I need to go and play some!

the Thomann is a great starter instrument ( I started a thread on here when I was deciding what to buy) maybe it's just something us 6 foot plus people have to live with unless we get a longer endpin fitted.
Good luck.

As a very recent joiner to the upright world (a Stagg EUB, of which I am at least the 4th BCer to own) this is very interesting stuff.
Can anybody please enlighten me on the relative dimensions and differences between different upright basses?
The half-size isn't literally half the size of a full bass is it? :huh:

You may find the width and depth of the neck is at least as important as the scale length when it comes to playing comfort. Also the height of the action. It really is best to try first. (Although I don't always follow my own advice ...) And a couple of lessons can really help in terms of not hurting yourself.

3/4 , 7/8 etc is very vague ,(does anyone else get people asking what size your bass is then saying their mate's got a full size one ?) when I was looking at basses I realised that basses relative proportions vary loads, you get some with long string length and narrow ribs etc. most 3/4 basses are around 104 to 105cm string length.

Edited by spencer.b

Thanks to all for your comments. I think I might have to get in the car and try a few out. I can play my EUB with fewer issues than playing electric bass possibly due to the angle of my wrist in comparison to playing guitar, but just thought it may help to have a slightly shorter scale length, but it appears to be a very grey area! As several suggestions point out, there is nothing better than trying out in person. Especially when the cost is so much more than a cheap guitar!