Why become a member? ×

Status Half Rounds

Greggo

What are peoples thoughts on these? Ive ordered a set, seeing as they are inexpensive, to replace a set of Fender 9050CL flats. Reason is that my g-string snapped and I've been intrigued by these Half Wounds for a while.

I've read that this particular brand feels very similiar to flats, but are they as brighter as a Fender flat but without the tension?

Any love for them?

I bought a set a while ago to try. They sound more like mellower rounds than like flats IMO, though the lower strings perhaps have a touch more flatwound character. They come close to a flatwound feel, but the D string in particular is a touch more grippy. I took them off my fretted bass, as they didn't quite satisfy me, but they turned out to be exactly what I wanted on my fretless. The tension feels very similar to a roundwound of the same gauge, though that's only my perception as Status don't supply measurements.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1399032696' post='2440213']
Do these strings have silks? Is the low B tapered?
[/quote]

They have black silks and the low B is un-tapered. I wasn't particularly enamoured of the B string, but my bass is quite touchy about them and it may be quite different on another bass.

I am using them on my Ibanez 605 and mostly love them. With rounds I found I was constantly playing with the treble completely backed off to get the sound I wanted. With the Status Half rounds I got the tone I wanted with everything pretty well flat, leaving me lots of room for tone tweaks.

However the B can sound a bit dull compared to the other strings, and does seem to have a bit of a dead spot around the 7th fret (not completely dead though).

So yes, well worth a try at £25 or whatever.

Sounds pretty positive what I've read so far. I like the idea of them sounding like a worn in round as I do like that point when rounds lose a bit of zing, but still have the brightness. Do they keep that particular sound for a while?

I think for me when I did have flats on, it was more the smooth feeling string I enjoyed more so than the sound of flats.

With half wounds do you still benefit from the lack of finger squeak when sliding up/down that you get on flats?

I concur with Count Bassy, though personally not had a problem with the bottom B.

They are definitely quieter like flats wrt string/fret noise, prob one of the reasons I like them as it masks my bad playing better!!

IMO they have made all my basses sound perfect, I always felt there was too much zing before and not enough balls :)

Strings came today and a few minutes play they seem decent compromise between the flat feel but with a round like sound. I read a good analogy someone wrote comparing the feel of groundwounds to paper whereas flats are more like plastic and this is accurate.

Unfortunately the low E is dead so have requested a replacement so hopefully Status will replace it - I've heard they are good like that.

The strings feel a bit grippy at the moment but hoping a good play in will sort this out.

Half rounds seem to be a bit grippy to begin with. They will become more slippery as they play in.

Disappointing that they are still supplying dead Es. They really should look into that.

I have just put a set of D'Addario halfs on my Overwater and they are spot on. E has lots of life too.

Status seem to have a problem with E's and B's, both were dead in a pack of flat wounds I bought recently.

I know they replace them, but they shouldn't have to.

I've got D'addario half wounds on my Modulus, they're great strings, and last for ages, they've been on for at least 6 months.

Reasonable price too :) .

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-ENR70-040--095-Electric-Strings/dp/B000OR89CK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399675639&sr=8-4&keywords=d%27addario+half+rounds"]http://www.amazon.co...rio+half+rounds[/url]

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1399675698' post='2446694']
Status seem to have a problem with E's and B's, both were dead in a pack of flat wounds I bought recently.
[/quote]

Never had a problem with their roundwounds, but the last set of flats I bought from Status had a dead E.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1399722289' post='2446985']
I tried D'addario's once and found them extremely sticky so moved them on, does that go away after a while?
[/quote]

Very soon, I think it's the same with all half rounds.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1399712756' post='2446847']
Never had a problem with their roundwounds, but the last set of flats I bought from Status had a dead E.
[/quote]

These were flats, so dead they'd fossilised and had a preservation order slapped on 'em :) .

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1399722990' post='2447001']
Very soon, I think it's the same with all half rounds.
[/quote]

I don't find the Status ones ( I have 'em on 3 basses) sticky from new.

I might give the D'addarios another try some time soon - cheers

i think the jury is out for me on half rounds. They do sound pretty good but the feel is a bit strange - although smoother feeling than rounds there is considerable drag on them, but I guess this might just mean they need more playing time. I experienced this with flats at first, except that went away very quickly on flats (within an hours good play) so maybe halfs need more to lose the grippiness.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1399031773' post='2440188']
What are peoples thoughts on these? Ive ordered a set, seeing as they are inexpensive, to replace a set of Fender 9050CL flats. Reason is that my g-string snapped and I've been intrigued by these Half Wounds for a while.

I've read that this particular brand feels very similiar to flats, but are they as brighter as a Fender flat but without the tension?

Any love for them?
[/quote]
Are they Staytus or Stattus Half Wounds? :ph34r:

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1399999410' post='2449777']
Sorry, that was intended to be a sort of joke with reference to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236583-state-us-or-st-aah-tus/"]this thread debating the pronunciation of 'Status'[/url].
[/quote]

Ahh I never saw that thread, I thought you just kept spelling it wrong because you were typing fast haha. Staytus all the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Update - really like these strings now that they've settled in a bit and Status kindly sent me a replacement E string for the dead E that came with the pack and new string is absolutely fine.

I can enjoy a lower action with these strings too over rounds so playability is improved somewhat (for me). I find the tone at the point of putting them on is exactly how I like a round to sound, but can imagine that once they bed in they may take on more of a flat wound character.

Glad I got them now for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1400756592' post='2456645']
I find the tone at the point of putting them on is exactly how I like a round to sound, but can imagine that once they bed in they may take on more of a flat wound character.
[/quote]

I've found that the sound of these strings doesn't change too much with time (or perhaps I just haven't noticed)