Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1399116609' post='2441187']
Well done Doug! I haven't listened to it yet but top marks for speed.

[color=#800080]Thanks, but you may well reverse your opinion once you've heard it..! [/color] :blush:

Coming back to Lurks comment on a daily challenge.... Actually a 'Weekend Challenge', maybe with a prize of some sort if we can arrange one, might be a nice idea sometime, assuming we give ourselves enough notice of when it would happen.

[color=#800080]I'm not sure that listening to Lurks on a regular basis is a sound idea..! :rolleyes: I would add that, if execution of an idea can sometimes be rapid, having an idea to execute can take some time. Fans of Guns and Roses had to wait 15 years. A 'Lightning Challenge' might work, but I wouldn't count on having recurrent success with the formula. Maybe as a 'one-off', an experiment..?[/color]

I've also been thinking about running a charity challenge one month. We could package the entries up as an 'album' on Bandcamp (say for £3) and give the proceeds to a good cause. In fact, there's no reason why we couldn't do that every month. Something to consider :)

[color=#800080]Ah..! That's more like it..! A fine initiative, if there's no overhead costs, and if the tariff were kept very low,. This could even serve both to promote the works created and encourage others to participate. Worth digging into. It would perhaps provide an extra incentive to produce to an even higher quality, if that were possible. I'd vote 'For', despite not being a very 'charity' person. [/color] :mellow:
[/quote]

I struggle to make the monthly one, let alone a weekly thing. Every month I see the pic & come up with an idea, often getting the basic idea recorded too, but rarely do I get something to post. Damn life gets in the way of all these things that I want to do. :P

Great pic. I used to do a bit of freehand climbing up structures & rocks like quarry walls or cliffs, but never hung off any with one hand (well, not intentionally). That was when I was in my teens & 20s, now I climb stairs instead.

I'll try again for this month.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1399116609' post='2441187']
Well done Doug! I haven't listened to it yet but top marks for speed.

Coming back to Lurks comment on a daily challenge.... Actually a 'Weekend Challenge', maybe with a prize of some sort if we can arrange one, might be a nice idea sometime, assuming we give ourselves enough notice of when it would happen.

I've also been thinking about running a charity challenge one month. We could package the entries up as an 'album' on Bandcamp (say for £3) and give the proceeds to a good cause. In fact, there's no reason why we couldn't do that every month. Something to consider :)
[/quote] if you were releasing the songs, would there not need to be some sort of copyright in place for the ownership of the songs?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1399455755' post='2444324']
if you were releasing the songs, would there not need to be some sort of copyright in place for the ownership of the songs?
[/quote]

This...

[url="https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080215082751AAqN6oK"]Copyright in UK...[/url]

...may explain; there is a link to the government site on the subject, too. An extract...

[quote] ...
The following is taken from the UK's Intellectual Property website and should prove useful to you;

There is no official registration system for copyright in the United Kingdom (UK) and most other parts of the world. There are no forms to fill in and no fees to pay to get copyright protection.

So long as you have created a work that qualifies for copyright protection, that is it falls into one of the categories of material protected by copyright, you will have copyright protection without having to do anything to establish this. It is a requirement of various international conventions on copyright that copyright should be automatic with no need to register.

To help protect your copyright work, it is advisable to mark it with the © symbol, the name of the copyright owner and the year of publication. Although this is not essential, it will let others know when the term of protection started and hence whether it is still covered by copyright, and indicate who to approach should they need to ask permission to use the work.
[/quote]

The following is taken from the UK's Intellectual Property website and should prove useful to you;

There is no official registration system for copyright in the United Kingdom (UK) and most other parts of the world. There are no forms to fill in and no fees to pay to get copyright protection.

So long as you have created a work that qualifies for copyright protection, that is it falls into one of the categories of material protected by copyright, you will have copyright protection without having to do anything to establish this. It is a requirement of various international conventions on copyright that copyright should be automatic with no need to register.

To help protect your copyright work, it is advisable to mark it with the © symbol, the name of the copyright owner and the year of publication. Although this is not essential, it will let others know when the term of protection started and hence whether it is still covered by copyright, and indicate who to approach should they need to ask permission to use the work.

Sneaky fookin brainiac....

I have one just about ready aswell , I am just trying to persuade the daughter to do some warbling for me . I will try to work out a melody/ harmony for her later and we will hopefully try tommorrow .
If she decides not to then I can post my tune up straight away .

Oh , mines the normal cack Ian , I had another listen last night and think I might need to do a bit more work to it :lol:

I have have been trying at this for well over a year , and it still feels like everyone one is a first time , I am really not sure when I will get the hang of it :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1399920477' post='2449008']... I am really not sure when I will get the hang of it :rolleyes:[/quote]

My usual laconic comment, for this and many other situations...

It's the first 40 years which are the worst, after which things get (slightly...) better. :mellow:

We're all in the same boat, it seems. :blush:

It still confuses the be-jesus out of me , but , I'm in with a nice gentle jobby this month :P .

I must say though that my soundcloud mix does sound muddier than my own , maybe it gets compressed a bit , but the processing does seem to have dulled it a touch, having said that , I don't currently have the knowledge to address the influence that the soundcloud uploading process has exerted, so when a multi million pound offer comes in to buy the rights, I shall let some-one else deal with the problem , but until then I offer for your enjoyment ( or masochism) ... https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/fall-at-your-feet

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1399936381' post='2449248']...a nice gentle jobby this month :P ...[/quote]

Quite. A soothing piece, suitable for bedtime listening with a refreshing mug of camomile tea. Not. :rolleyes:
Once again, Team Lurks pulls another masterpiece from his inspiration. Good work, and entirely suited to the subject. It's going to be another bumper month, folks, and we're off to a good start here. Now then, where did that 'Like' button get to, eh..? :)

Well done on the pole position, Lurks! I haven't listened to it yet, but will do so in due course.

I haven't started mine, but I have an idea sketched out in my ol' grey matter. The trouble is, the version playing in my head is currently being performed by the Beastie Boys... so there may well be a shortfall between what I'm imagining and what will end up coming out of my computer. Unless I somehow manage to become a. American and b. a convincing rapper sometime in the next ten days :D

Edited by Skol303

That's always my problem, Skol. I, once again, have something that has some great elements to it but, in order for it to work properly, I need something else added that I cannot do myself. There is no-one I can call to do it for me so I have no idea how to get it covered without giving up my day job and spending weeks on it ;)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1400063118' post='2450285']
That's always my problem, Skol. I, once again, have something that has some great elements to it but, in order for it to work properly, I need something else added that I cannot do myself. There is no-one I can call to do it for me so I have no idea how to get it covered without giving up my day job and spending weeks on it ;)
[/quote]

Difficult, innit! I normally quite like the challenge of trying to 'realise' the compositions I dream up in my noggin. But sometimes - like this month - I'm left scratching my head.

I've got quite good at creating electronic sounds I might be imagining using synths. My stumbling block is, as I imagine it is for most people, trying to create sounds that are convincingly 'real' - i.e. played instruments and of course, vocals. VSTs can only go so far in this regard, although the quality of virtual instruments is improving all the time.

Still, there's always plenty to learn from trying. But yeah... I similarly won't be giving up my day job to focus on it anytime soon :)

I tend to look at a picture and let my head tell me if the story needs words to express it.
some I think work best as instrumental but then I might have to improvise on a musical style to suit , so pretty much everything I do is a learning curve , though I have had vocals help and contributions from our bands singer ( and Lurksalittle) on 3 compositions , this month was me :lol:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1400059347' post='2450227']
Well done on the pole position, Lurks![/quote]

I think Dad was first in with his lightning skills ;)

Done my homework sir!
[url="https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/bagitup"]https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/bagitup[/url]

Might have worked in last month's comp as well.
I must apologise for the lack of any melody, just a single riff and key!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1400069510' post='2450394']
Difficult, innit! I normally quite like the challenge of trying to 'realise' the compositions I dream up in my noggin. But sometimes - like this month - I'm left scratching my head.

I've got quite good at creating electronic sounds I might be imagining using synths. My stumbling block is, as I imagine it is for most people, trying to create sounds that are convincingly 'real' - i.e. played instruments and of course, vocals. VSTs can only go so far in this regard, although the quality of virtual instruments is improving all the time.

Still, there's always plenty to learn from trying. But yeah... I similarly won't be giving up my day job to focus on it anytime soon :)
[/quote]
I'm actually on it this time. No need for vocals. So far it's exactly like the plan in my head. Just have to record a guitar part and mix a few samples in then done.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1400184257' post='2451665']

I'm actually on it this time. No need for vocals. So far it's exactly like the plan in my head. Just have to record a guitar part and mix a few samples in then done.
[/quote]
Exactly like the plan in your head. You lucky bastRd. I never even come close. I've got 7 ideas this month. The picture is so wide open. I've got a favourite idea but it requires a lot of vocal and I can't be arsed. Let's see what happens. I'm loving the entries so far. I don't have a favourite yet though I'm sure one will get its hook in me soon.