Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

Here's my effort this month, didn't have a lot of time so did the best I could in the time I had. Tried to come from where the mind of people who do these type of adrenalin things are at. Love the pic though!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/9thaspect/hanging-on-the-edge-of-time"]https://soundcloud.com/9thaspect/hanging-on-the-edge-of-time[/url]

Like the ones I've heard so far, good luck everyone :)

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1400774797' post='2456900']
I concur with dad, it sounds like its clipping /peaking ...sounded great though !
[/quote]
Found the problem. My computer needs an upgrade. sh*te processor, so have to bounce down every 3-4 tracks to one. There has been a stereo enhancer switched on on the output which i didn't realise. Fresh mix time!

Ok here's my entry.

From the pic I took the inspiration that the guy is calm even though he's in a dangerous, crazy position. So i decided to do a contrast piece between calm and dangerous. With a crazy section stuck in. You will know what i mean!

With regards to the flute melody, this was achieved by cutting up about 40 flute samples into 1 beat or 2 beat or 3 beat phrases etc and arranging them into what i wanted.

I'm not 100% happy with mix. But i have had a lot of gyp with my computer and cubase sequel. I have no time left as I'm away this weekend so it will be what it will be. Bass could be louder.

In the weird section the band sound is supposed to be swamped a little.

Cheers, hope you enjoy. It was hard work!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/calmly-crazy"]https://soundcloud.c...ed/calmly-crazy[/url]

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1400800645' post='2457212']Ok here's my entry....[/quote]

Nah, just kidding with the previous post. Great stuff, right up my street. I've left a comment, so I won't repeat here; suffice it to say that any remaining entrants had better come up with something darned good, 'cos we're well up at the top here. Like..!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1400801844' post='2457220']
Nah, just kidding with the previous post. Great stuff, right up my street. I've left a comment, so I won't repeat here; suffice it to say that any remaining entrants had better come up with something darned good, 'cos we're well up at the top here. Like..!
[/quote] :lol: :D Cheers, thanks for the comment too!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1400788866' post='2457116']
Found the problem. My computer needs an upgrade. sh*te processor, so have to bounce down every 3-4 tracks to one. There has been a stereo enhancer switched on on the output which i didn't realise. Fresh mix time!
[/quote]
if you get latency issues and the sound jumping during the mix phase put the buffers to highest and it helps. it will mean monitoring during recording is undoable. also lock tracks once recorded that helps too

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1401026744' post='2459269']Here's my entry...[/quote]

Splendid, Tim..! A group effort, I see; excellent playing and production. Comments left. It's going to be a tough choice, this month, yet again..! :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401028097' post='2459296']

Splendid, Tim..! A group effort, I see; excellent playing and production. Comments left. It's going to be a tough choice, this month, yet again..! :)
[/quote]
A certain tune has taken the lead for me at this point. I think we might get a few more entries yet though.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1401029040' post='2459308']...we might get a few more entries yet though.[/quote]

Indeed, it is to be hoped. Skates had better be put on pretty sharpish now, though, as, officially, entries are to be proffered up until midnight TONIGHT..! There is a fair tolerance for latecomers, but now is the time to finish polishing your gem and render it available for the voting period to follow. Let's be 'avin' yer..!

Ok… managed to get it done! A hasty effort by me this month. Written and recorded today, which is contrary to my usual slow and ponderous methods.

It’s a hip hop track. It has me rapping. It’s the first and probably the last time I’ll be doing so… rapping is a lot harder than it seems. And for some reason I can’t do it in anything other than a faux US accent, which just sounds weird to me. But anyway.

This one is best listened to on headphones or through a good set of speakers. The low end is fairly huge, so I take no responsibility for structural damage to your home if played too loud :D

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/hangin

I tried out a few tricks I’ve been experimenting with regards super-aggressive compression. Not exactly dinner party conversation, but it had me excited.

I’ll post up the voting thread in a moment…

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1401061503' post='2459737']...This one is best listened to on headphones or through a good set of speakers. The low end is fairly huge, so I take no responsibility for structural damage to your home if played too loud :D...[/quote]

No, this is no idle threat. Seriously low stuff in there, well done. Comments left. Hmm... Now this 'ere voting is going to be at least as tough as any other. No, I'll just have to listen to them all again. Yippee..! Where's my 'phones..?

(...[i]Potters off, forgetting the slice of toast freshly popped from the toaster,and mouthing half-remembered lyrics about sky-diving or something similar. Hard to tell, he's got a head start and his slippers rustle on the rugs[/i]...)