Why become a member? ×

Fishman Platinum Pro

kedo

You will see from my previous posts that I have been suffering from uncontrollable feedback on my G string, but finally heeded members advice (particularly 'Bilbo' - check out his Soundcloud by the way) and bought a Fishman Platinum Pro. That phase switch really works! I tried connecting into the effects return socket on my Markbass as suggested in Fishman's instructions to get a less coloured sound. This does sound very clean, and avoids the confusion of conflicting EQs, but I find that my master volume has to be at 3 o'clock to get the required volume with the Fishman controls also set fairly high. Has anyone tried this?

If I plug the Fishman into the Markbass's preamp, do I flatten all the amp controls. If so does that mean 12 o'clock or fully anti-clockwise. You can tell that I find the relationship between the Fishman and Markbass EQs a little confusing with two gain controls, and 2 sets of EQs.

I would appreciate some guidance on this but I'm sure I'm going to get on really well with it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's gig.

Thanks for all your advice on this.

I run my plat pro into the main input of the LM2 with the tone controls at 12 and the VLE & VPF full counter clockwise.
If I'm not putting the bass through the PA, I'll use the EQ on the plat pro to get my sound but if it's big gig with proper PA then I run a DI signal from the plat pro to the FOH desk and use the LM2 tone controls for my onstage sound.

I used to put the PlatPro signal into the fx return, but as you've discovered, the signal level is low, plus I like the extra versatility of having 2 separate sets of EQ.

+ 1 to Rev.
I do the exact same, although I use different amps whatever is provided as a back line on gig, doesn't matter much to me as it's only used as monitor. I normally just dial out most of the bad mids on the stage bass amp, keep the rest flat and eq the fishman to my liking, which is then also the signal going FOH. If I really can't get to grips with the stage amp, I do go in the effect return as volume is not important when it's only used for monitoring. I ask the engineer not to change the character of that sound and adjust bits and bobs to fit the room. Most of the time it works.
If playing a gig with small PA I will take my own amp with one or two cabs and go straight in there (GB shuttle) with no fishman at all.
Works for me, so far...