Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones double four & Bass cub. Talk to me....

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

I'm beginning to assemble some dates that may well take me into a small tour through summer and into autumn.

My current amp is fine for throwing around london, but ultimately I'd prefer a combo to separate head+cab and I'm near the limits of what I use at the moment (home made 8 inch speaker and crate power block preamp bypassed).

My amp needs are going to be different to 90% of folks here ( I currently play electro-acoustic music solo, where the bass amp is playing pre recorded bass while I play non pitched percussion and bassoon live).

I need small and light as I'm lugging a lot of stuff around without a car. I don't need loud or super deep bass, but I do need clean (not necessarily hifi though).

My inital plan was to get a markbass blackline 250 head, plan b was a small powered PA speaker, but then I saw the double four and remembered the cub and I've been a bit tempted.
The Power supply being universal in all countries is a BIG plus for the double 4. I'm a little worried about using Markbass stuff issued in the UK in European countries.

As always money is an object so dropping an extra 200quid ontop of the blackline head is an issue.
Eq control is quite important as I'd need to balance the bass with the bassoon depending on the room acoustics.

Of course I need to demo everything but I'd like to hear from users of Phil Jones micro combos.

Thanks
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

I use a Cub at home and then couple it with a powered cab for live work with a band. I was talking with the guys from Bass Gear at the Lonson show and they were telling me that, despite it's smaller drivers and overall size, the double 4 has a much fuller bottom end due to the rear porting (assuming it's somewhere near a wall of course). The Phil Jones 'sound' (to my ears at least) is very, very uncoloured and gives a very accurate representation of what is being played, which in my case exposed some sloppy muting that I hadn't noticed with my old Mark Bass rig. PJB are super helpful, why not drop them a line and let them help you, Phil himself answered one of my queries. Whatever you decide I don't think you'll be disappointed with either product.

Guest Jecklin

Thanks for that EZbass :)

I'm really suckered by nearly everything about the double 4 on paper.
I need to hear one vs my current set up though.

Hoping the Gallery in London will get one in soon - Although Bass Gear is not too much of a treck by train.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas, I use a PJB Double Four. I took a punt early this year and bought one untried after reading good things about them. Have to say it's a great little amp, fantastic sound for an amp not much bigger than a shoebox. The sound you get out of it is very clean, it can get pretty deep if you need it to, (the rear porting design works really well) but I would say it's not particularly loud. It's perfect for me practising at home at night at low volumes and not waking up the kids! There's not many UK stockists, I ordered mine from Drew at Manchester Bass Lounge - he was very helpful & quick delivery. Hope this helps, cheers Trevor.

I'm also interested in something like this...leaning more towards the Cub though due to the two inputs etc. I can't make up my mind though. One shop did say I would be better with a TC 250 208, but I'm thinking it might be a little bigger than I'm looking for. I mean the cab size.

I've been occasionally using a double four but only for home use. Very transparent uncoloured sound as stated above. My ACG sounds awesome through it.
No issues with it at all from my personal experience. I travel a lot so its brilliant to take as its so small and light. However I'd suggest you try one as volume wise it may struggle to keep up.
Also came from Drew at MBL, very helpful chap.

My only grumble is they don't (afaik) do a gig bag.

Edited by Dazed

Guest Jecklin

Thanks everyone for more on this.

I have had email correspondence with Phil Jones and they were cautious over the double four's volume for my usage. They did say 2 in parallel would totally do the job :-)

I'm suckered by it and want it to work, but think I'm going to go for my plan b which was a markbass blackline head driving my existing 1x8 cab.

However I have also been looking at the tc 208 which for it's offer price of 250quid seems good, but I'm nit sold on compression on acoustic instruments as I need a wide dynamic range and if that thing is squeezing the life out of my signal for maximum output it isn't ideal

Cheers
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

I've had a six pack, a briefcase, a flightcase and currently have a cub (and still have the six pack) and I would add one word of warning if you do end up going for the Phil Jones; both the flightcase and the cub are very noisy (this comes through the DI too) it is apparently something to do with the power supply when running on 240v (which does make it sound like a design flaw to me! ) I don't know if all the newer/smaller amps are the same but it's certainly worth trying one before you buy!

Edited by daflewis

If you want more overall volume, but not necessarily more true bass, then I'd think about using as big a diameter driver as you can cram into whatever box size is suitable for your transport needs, ie moving from 8" to a high-sensitivity 10" (or to 2x8" if the slimmer form-factor makes it more convenient).
Bigger radiating driver area makes more of a difference than just increasing the wattage input but keeping the driver the same.

Interesting about the 2x8. A shop suggested the TC 250 208 with toneprint, but I was a bit worried that the fancy downloads etc would affect the sound. I was just looking for a good sounding portable combo. Volume would not be an issue as it would be for home use.

I've tried many of the combos you've mentioned here and I'm not sure any of them are up to serious gigging. The two baby PJB's are very nice and produce some lovely bass tones from a very small box but you can't gig with one unless there's some form of front of house support.

The MarkBass 802 adds a lot more volume and depth of tone but there is some colouration. In my small rock band setting it's just loud enough to compete at rehearsal volumes but my MB 121 combo kills it for volume and depth.

My personal favourite PJB cab for smaller and quieter gigs is the C4. This packs quite a punch for the size but you'd obviously need to budget for a separate head to go with it. The little Aguilar TH350 is a nice match or the MarkBass Big Bang adds both additional power and the flexibility of headphones out and aux in.

I'd say test the MB802 first and see how it sounds. It's not as light as some of he alternatives but it does have a decent core bass tone :)

Edited by molan

I have a Bass Cub and a PB-300 (250W powered cabinet).

Both have a very accurate sound. Also, Phil Jones did not use fans on either of these, which is very nice for practicing, composing or recording in your studio. It is kind of like playing an acoustic guitar, as the only sounds you hear are those coming from your bass.

I typically only use the PB-300 if I am playing with someone else. It sounds just like the Cub, only louder.

I think the Bass Cub would be fine for a quiet setting, perhaps a coffee house or trad jazz.

Observations:

1) A pre-amp. such as a SansAmp, coaxes a lot more volume from the Cub. Then again, I use passive basses.

2) Neither the Cub nor the PB-300 has any noticeable noise (my sympathies to daflewis; maybe the 240V power source has something to do with it.) I use the Cub as a DI into my DAW.

3) The physical size of the Cub is really nice. If you are going to have access to a PA, then the Cub should have plenty of volume.

4) Nice features include a limiter, two channels, tuner out, mic in, aux in and headphone jack.

Having said all of that, I use my Markbass CMD 121P for playing with the band. The Markbass is much louder, allows you to color your sound and weighs less that 30 lbs. It is much easier to transport than the Bass Cub/PB-300 rig.

Had you considered the QSC K series of powered speakers? They are very clean, and have plenty of power

Those, with a small mixer, might solve all of your issues.

Hi Neal,

[quote name='neal_b' timestamp='1402024636' post='2469313']
Neither the Cub nor the PB-300 has any noticeable noise (my sympathies to daflewis; maybe the 240V power source has something to do with it.)

[/quote]

Thanks for that... I take it from that that (and the time you posted!) that you are "over the pond"? - I love my six pack and also loved the briefcase - both extremely quiet with a great sound. I've read about other people having the same problem with the newer small amps and it only seems to be an issue in 240v countries; but sadly it makes the DI unusable, and the high pitched buzz from the amp is also intrusive in a low noise environment. :(

[quote name='daflewis' timestamp='1401923899' post='2468472']
I've had a six pack, a briefcase, a flightcase and currently have a cub (and still have the six pack) and I would add one word of warning if you do end up going for the Phil Jones; both the flightcase and the cub are very noisy (this comes through the DI too) it is apparently something to do with the power supply when running on 240v (which does make it sound like a design flaw to me! ) I don't know if all the newer/smaller amps are the same but it's certainly worth trying one before you buy!
[/quote]
I've had similar experiences which is a real pity as the obvious intended use of these smaller combos is in quieter locations - which is exactly where the annoying whistling/hiss is so noticible.
I have to add that my PJB BG 300 does NOT do the noise thing. I think its a different amp design. Beedster came up against this exact issue and never managed to resolve it, until he bought a BG300. Maybe I got lucky though...

Yeh, it appears, as you say, that the larger (and possibly older?) amps are fine - I wonder if it's a weight saving thing?... Maybe it's a digital power supply instead of an old fashioned transformer?? But I really don't know enough about that kind of thing to make a judgement; all I do know is that they're not cheap and they should work properly!

Guest Jecklin

Running through my 1x8 home made cab today for a recording session later. Love this thing!!
I can't really transport a bigger cab with my solo music set up and the comments here about the double four are pushing me more and more to getting a new amp head and sticking with my cab.

A shame.
I know I must try the pjb stuff though.

Cheers
Thomas

[quote name='daflewis' timestamp='1402046896' post='2469450']
I take it from that that (and the time you posted!) that you are "over the pond"? - I love my six pack and also loved the briefcase - both extremely quiet with a great sound. I've read about other people having the same problem with the newer small amps and it only seems to be an issue in 240v countries; but sadly it makes the DI unusable, and the high pitched buzz from the amp is also intrusive in a low noise environment. :(
[/quote]

Yes, I am in the States.

Have you had a chance to contact Phil Jones Bass? They have been responsive and very helpful with my questions.

Guest Jecklin

Taking a session break and watched a video if the Phil Jones brief case. That thing is killer!!!! The battery option is a serious plus too.
I can't see I can stretch funds to one sadly.

Have you considered the Flightcase? There's one here for sale on BC http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236370-phil-jones-flightcase/page__p__2447977__hl__flightcase__fromsearch__1#entry2447977

@neal yes, I emailed when I first got the flightcase and Phil got back to me personally; I certainly have no problem with the customer service! :)

He told me to change a couple of resistors which I did... It helped reduce the noise (but not eliminate it) and then only for about the first 20 mins after switching the amp on... Again, I don't know enough about electronics to comment on the how's and whys; but that was all a few years ago and I'd have thought this would have been addressed by now as it was/is a known issue....

Apart from the noise, the flightcase is a great amp especially for double bass, as was the briefcase (I only changed because I wanted a touch more power).
in fact one of the best things about the briefcase is that you can run the headphones whilst still having the speaker on. I used to use it as an in ear for me plus a monitor for the rest of the band and it worked great. If anyone's interested, this is what it sounded like (through a PA too, of course!) ;)
http://youtu.be/cMELQUHkLYA

• 9 months later...
Guest Jecklin

Annual(ish) bump.

Any new users of a bass cub or double four want to chime in with performance views and noise issues on newer units?

Cheers
Thomas

• 2 months later...
Guest Jecklin

In answer to my own thread - I have just bought a double four.

I am very impressed.

I will do a review thread in due course after I've put it through its paces at Sonic Imperfections on the 9th of June.
Facebook event - http://bit.ly/1dgIS3K