Why become a member? ×

Questions about endpins

tinyd

Hi all
I'm thinking about replacing my endpin as my current one is too short for me, so I've had a look online and there seem to be plenty about. If at all possible I'd like to keep it cheap and avoid going to a luthier unless it's the only way to do it - but before I do any of this I have a couple of questions that people might be able to help me with.

Firstly, if I get an endpin that's the same diameter as my current one, can I just replace the pin itself and leave the bit where it fixes to the bass and tailpiece (the pear?) alone?

Secondly, if I buy an endpin that says it's 45cm in length, does that mean the total length of the pin, or is that the maximum that it will extend past the mechanism?

Cheers for any help on the above!

Dave

You are welcome, Ben. I keep thinking about contacting you to this end but keep balking at the idea of dawing through my existing endpin to get it out. I secure it with electrical insulation tape when I play otherwise it slips badly.

[quote name='blinddrew' timestamp='1399975382' post='2449455']
Just another endorsement of Ben's wooden pins from me. Three or four of the regulars at our monday session have commented on how much better the bass sounds since I got the new pin.
[/quote]

+1

You can hear the difference and the bass feels more secure knowing the pin isn't going to move. I keep my old pin in the bass during transport and use the wooden one for everything else. :)