Why become a member? ×

NBD Reprise: G&L Tribute M-2000 GTS TB

Romeo2

Fellow BCers, two days ago I became a happy owner of the said bass. This M-2000 beauty is a little sister to the L-2000 Tribute with a maple fretboard I bought a year ago. Two completely different basses I have to say.

Great bass, incredibly powerful and quiet preamp, superb craftsmanship* for the money - though what the hell do I know, this is the most expensive bass I've ever owned.

Edit: This is now boxed, going back to the shop for a spotless replacement.

*I spoke too soon, and found some imperfections - my ranting below ...

[b]EDIT2: [/b]THE REPLACEMENT IS HERE! This one is absolutely perfect, check it out:

[attachment=162893:P1060649.JPG]

[attachment=162894:P1060655.JPG]

[attachment=162895:P1060654.JPG]

[attachment=162896:P1060653.JPG]

[attachment=162897:P1060652.JPG]

[attachment=162898:P1060651.JPG]

(No idea why the pics are flipped ... )

Edited by Romeo2

I am loving the new baby, can't deny it.

hamfist - neepheid summarised his comparison here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207002-gl-m2000m2500-us-tribute-opinions/, and all I can add: my thoughts exactly (in fact, his review was one of the reasons I went for another G&L :D).

Interesting thing is what different instruments do to your style of playing, and I feel I am going a bit more aggressive and in your face with the L, and then I get a bit more subtle, smooth and groovy with the M.

Happy days :)

Thanks John, can't really put it down.

I have to confess. I sold some instruments recently. And I found myself in tremors, in absolute delirium, could not stand the state of not being able to say 'my basses' or 'my guitars', the thought of uttering a sentence where bass was to be in singular form (NOOOOOO!!!!!!!) was just too much. GAS took over, with sweaty palms I entered card details into an online payment form less than 24 hours after becoming single-bassed.

Help me ...

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1399586078' post='2445737']

I have to confess. I sold some instruments recently. And I found myself in tremors, in absolute delirium, could not stand the state of not being able to say 'my basses' or 'my guitars', the thought of uttering a sentence where bass was to be in singular form (NOOOOOO!!!!!!!) was just too much. GAS took over, with sweaty palms I entered card details into an online payment form less than 24 hours after becoming single-bassed.

Help me ...
[/quote]

Too late for help I think, you are a gas monster now LOL ;) :P

John

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1399586078' post='2445737']

Help me ...
[/quote]

Couldn't help noticing the empty space in your 3-bass stand...

Yep, lots to like about G&L basses.

[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif]Must. Seek. Help. ...[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]However, I noticed a certain imperfection on the back of the neck, around 5-6 fret. I started staring at it and it grew into a size of a crater in my head, in reality being a 15mm thin strip of a rough area on a pleasantly smooth neck. Then I also noticed a small (maybe even tiny ...) scratch also on the neck around the 4th fret.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]And while these things do not affect playability at all, I reckoned that this being the most expensive bass I bought to date and brand new it is reasonable to expect mint, perfect, spotless condition... Right??[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif](Looking through the classifieds here this would probably go down as 'a ding' or 'a scratch' or something along the lines of 'almost perfect (but not quite..)'. I can't say I feel comfortable saying I bought a brand new bass that is ALMOST perfect in terms of finish. I would definitely not leave a shop with it if I spotted it, and you can't miss it since it is in the “money making” area of the neck.)[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]So... I emailed the customer service, they offered a 50 euro off of the original price, or I can send it back for a replacement. Decided I want a replacement as I think its resale value is lowered by this imperfection in the finish by more than that.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Or am I being a little bit too fussy, perhaps?[/font][/size]

Edited by Romeo2

I wouldn't be worried about it personally - it's not going to stay pristine anyway; however if it's bothering you, send it back. I'd definitely take them money though (which would invariably end up spent on something else at their store......)

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1399637177' post='2446123']
[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif]Must. Seek. Help. ...[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]However, I noticed a certain imperfection on the back of the neck, around 5-6 fret. I started staring at it and it grew into a size of a crater in my head, in reality being a 15mm thin strip of a rough area on a pleasantly smooth neck. Then I also noticed a small (maybe even tiny ...) scratch also on the neck around the 4th fret.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]And while these things do not affect playability at all, I reckoned that this being the most expensive bass I bought to date and brand new it is reasonable to expect mint, perfect, spotless condition... Right??[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif](Looking through the classifieds here this would probably go down as 'a ding' or 'a scratch' or something along the lines of 'almost perfect (but not quite..)'. I can't say I feel comfortable saying I bought a brand new bass that is ALMOST perfect in terms of finish. I would definitely not leave a shop with it if I spotted it, and you can't miss it since it is in the “money making” area of the neck.)[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]So... I emailed the customer service, they offered a 50 euro off of the original price, or I can send it back for a replacement. Decided I want a replacement as I think its resale value is lowered by this imperfection in the finish by more than that.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Or am I being a little bit too fussy, perhaps?[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I would have pocketed the 50 euro.

It's such a tiny imperfection, it will have negligible impact on resale (I mean, it's going to be a USED bass, I would not care), and it's the kind of thing it's likely to acquire by itself in normal use anyway.

I

I hear you guys - and you're probably right.

But my pedantic, OCD-self comes across this bit every time I play this bass, and it is just under my thumb whenever I play anything 5-7fret-wise (which is all the time :D) and it just annoys me so I am sending it back, their customer service has proven outstanding so far - they're paying for the courier and sending me a replacement, all sorted via emails within less than two days.

Good news though - expect it at a b-stock price at that rather well-known German online retailer soon!

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1399761446' post='2447487']
Good news though - expect it at a b-stock price at that rather well-known German online retailer soon!
[/quote]

They really are good, everytime I had to deal with them.
I hope the next bass is as nice. Love those M2000!