Why become a member? ×

ABG vs EUB

Nodd

I've found more call for an acoustic DB-ish sound in addition to the conventional bass.
I have used an old Eko BA4 fretless acoustic bass guitar and a Dean EUB.

The Eko has a killer sound - Roto Tru Bass strings, a K&K transducer at the core,
technically its a righty, but flipped and reset.
However the body is huge and a gig in a tiny pub last year left me with a bad 'Tennis Elbow' type injury.
Despite all sorts of treatments now I just can't play it comfortably.

I bought the Dean Pace EUB and have been using it regularly as another alternative.
It creates a lot of interest, it kind of provides the DB vibe and,
because its stand mounted, its easy to jump on and off during a set
and it is comfortable to play.
Its also technically a righty, but flipped and reset.
Unfortunately, its bare sound is pretty brittle and it really needs the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ,
as well as reverb and chorus.

I've played 'acoustic' gigs and, on more than one occasion, had the promoter tell me my P-bass is too loud,
I replace it with the EUB, or the ABG and the complaints go away!

I haven't got the space or tolerance for carrying a DB, those days are gone!

So, clearly the 'acoustic' thing is partly psychological,
the DB vibe partly visual.

Does the solution have to be expensive?

There are some fantastic DB sound capable 'semi acoustic' 'thinline' basses - Carvin AC40, Godin, etc all well over £1000
I have yet to find a really convincing EUB - I also have a 50's Framus
but again the cost of the better ones exceeds £1000 too

OH! and of course.... I'm a lefty!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on alternatives, gang.
Cheers, Nodd

You have already listed most of what is available... usually EUBs don't sound remotely like DBs and that's a fact of life and the price to pay for portability.

Your list doesn't include KK baby basses, which have a pleasant, traditional look but are smaller and have the advantages of EUBs. Since they're all built to customers' specs, "native" lefty isn't a problem.

I play an NS Design NXT5 - native lefty, bought new from Thomann - and a reversed Harley Benton, the cheapest I found when I wanted to experiment with turning the bridge upside-down and filing the nut.

Feel free to post your question in the DB/EUB forum too, there are some veritable fountains of knowledge there :D

Edited by bluejay

Thank you for that Jueblay!
thought i'd try a lefty exclusive post first.
I've tried the cheaper EUBs and they're quite harsh.
not sure about the small spacing on the U-bass species either.
Guess i was hoping for a miracle thin line acoustic option for 2 bob!
Still, if you don't ask....

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've found more call for an acoustic DB-ish sound in addition to the conventional bass.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have used an old Eko BA4 fretless acoustic bass guitar and a Dean EUB.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Eko has a killer sound - Roto Tru Bass strings, a K&K transducer at the core,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]technically its a righty, but flipped and reset.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]However the body is huge and a gig in a tiny pub last year left me with a bad 'Tennis Elbow' type injury.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Despite all sorts of treatments I just can't play it comfortably now.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I bought the Dean Pace EUB and have been using it regularly as another alternative.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It creates a lot of interest, it kind of provides the DB vibe and,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]because its stand mounted, its easy to jump on and off during a set[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and it is comfortable to play.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Its also technically a righty, but flipped and reset.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately, its bare sound is pretty brittle and it really needs the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]as well as reverb and chorus.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've played 'acoustic' gigs and, on more than one occasion, had the promoter tell me my P-bass is too loud,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I replace it with the EUB, or the ABG and the complaints go away![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I haven't got the space or tolerance for carrying a DB, those days are gone![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So, clearly the 'acoustic' thing is partly psychological,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the DB vibe partly visual.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Does the solution have to be expensive?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are some fantastic DB sound capable 'semi acoustic' 'thinline' basses - Carvin AC40, Godin, etc all well over £1000[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have yet to find a really convincing EUB - I also have a 50's Framus[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]but again the cost of the better ones exceeds £1000 too[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OH! and of course.... I'm a lefty![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd appreciate your thoughts on alternatives, gang.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers, Nodd[/font][/color]

Cheers WoT, its the P that is my 'core' sound, the DB and fretless aspect is the second string to my (bull) fiddle

Ta Rhys, its the perception of the volume, rather than the actuality, I am not a loud player.
It just that sometime 'folkie' response to electric instruments.
Same amp, same volume but....

Thanks for the Dorset input, interestingly I have a Sinsonido Guitar, I will look into that option.

Not for everyone I realise, but how about some kind of fretless U-bass if size is a problem. I presume you can get them bigger that the usual Kala one everyone goes for as when I ordered strings for my home built one they had a selection of different scale lengths.

The NS Omni bass looks like the perfect solution although it wont be cheap even 2nd hand. It is smaller than the regular eub but still producing a comparable db sound. Like you, I often just flip and reverse a righty instrument.

Bluejay is right about asking in the regular EUB section. Lots of experienced basschatters there to help you in your quest.

Edited by sblueplanet