Why become a member? ×

Adjustable Bridges

AME

good evening!
I have just been looking on eb at a DB adjustable bridge that is apparently 19 cm when fully wound down.
The thing is,my 'fixed' bridge is only 17 cm and I want to get one that can do 15.5 / 16.cm,and 19 cm seems absurdly high.Does the seller meen it is 19 cm fully extended??
Thanks BC's :)

The bridge on eBay is probably unfitted. When fitting a bridge, wood is removed from the feet to match the arch of the bass top and from the crown of the bridge to set the relative heights of the strings to suit the fingerboard profile, so an unfitted bridge will always start off on the tall side. This is done to suit each individual bass.
Fitting a bridge is a task involving some skill and most players will go to a luthier rather than attempting to DIY. It may also be possible to have adjusters fitted to your existing bridge rather than replacing it.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

+ 1 beer of the bass. The bridge will be in its raw form and will require a massive amount of mods to fit to your bass. This is standard luthier work. I'd say save the money, take your bass to a luthier and adapt your current bridge by adding adjusters and have him tweak the action to your requirement.