Why become a member? ×

New Musicman PDN offering for May 2014

Musicman20

I'll never own one (can't get over the 'bog seat' syndrome :( ), but I've played two, and they were both remarkably good basses - better than Stingrays, I'd say, and massively more versatile. That finish is just gorgeous, the headstock in particular (probably because I can't see the body :D ) looks fantastic.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400857886' post='2457654']
Looks like it will be a super rare bass! Classic Sabre PDN!
[/quote]
Yes indeed - it is said by many people that the 30th Anniversary Ray with mahogany body is the best ever - so the Sabre with mahogany should be pretty good. Can't wait!!

• 10 months later...

Old thread, but I've just snagged a Stingray 5H PDN Neptune Blue with flamed maple fingerboard. I'm hoping that stainless steel frets don't turn it too clanky, but nonetheless looking forward to receiving it on Thursday.

Pete

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1427828500' post='2734840']
Old thread, but I've just snagged a Stingray 5H PDN Neptune Blue with flamed maple fingerboard. I'm hoping that stainless steel frets don't turn it too clanky, but nonetheless looking forward to receiving it on Thursday.

Pete
[/quote]

Sounds cool, I wouldn't worry about stainless frets, my Stingray has them & it's not clanky at all, even with a low action.

Thanks mate. I was a little worried. Reports on Talkbass seem to be mixed - some people convinced they are brighter and others who seem to notice no difference at all. Roger Sadowsky won't even install them on his basses and is fairly vocal about them....

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1427859473' post='2735113']
Thanks mate. I was a little worried. Reports on Talkbass seem to be mixed - some people convinced they are brighter and others who seem to notice no difference at all. Roger Sadowsky won't even install them on his basses and is fairly vocal about them....
[/quote]

On the other side of the coin Jon Shuker fits them to his basses, in fact he done mine & the only difference I noticed is I can achieve a much lower action with no buzz but I'm sure that's down to fretwork & not fret material.

Edit* don't forget to post piccies in the musicman thread :-)

Edited by Horizontalste

As you probably saw further up this thread I have an MM Sabre in this spec - the frets look great against the darkness of the figured maple neck but in my view make no difference to the sound and it is anything but clanky!!

However I'd say the sound is somewhat different from a regular ash bodied MM - possibly warmer sounding - mahogany one piece body and roasted maple neck may contribute. These basses have a fabulous colour effect particularly under bright light.

The weight is no more and probably less than a regular ash bodied bass.

So you will have a rare, great looking, great sounding bass. In my case, there are few if any other Sabres in this spec.

It is one of my go to basses so has been gigged regularly since delivery last August.

Edited by drTStingray

That is fantastic news Dr T.

I very much like a warmer Stingray sound, and am delighted to hear the frets are no issue. I'm potentially looking to change up my Modulus Q5 for this Stingray 5H - mainly the comfort of the smaller scale, as well as slightly better ergonomics for me. The Modulus is probably suited to someone slightly taller than me. I love the 17.5mm string spacing of Modulus and MM, but the Stingray has a narrower nut, which I also like very much.

I am extremely positive for tomorrow...thanks chaps for brightening my day.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1428083238' post='2737943']
Yep. Still though, it means I get to try out a Stingray 5HS I've had my eye on...silver lining and all that...
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that - as you say the 5HS has great sounds available. The SR5 is a lot more resonant IMO than the SR4 (well at least mine is - top horn vibrates exceptionally).