Why become a member? ×

New Musicman PDN offering for May 2014

Musicman20

If you ever wanted a maple fretboard Bongo...well now is your chance...

[url="http://www.music-man.com/premier-dealer-network-instruments/guitars/pdn-neptune-blue.html"]http://www.music-man.com/premier-dealer-network-instruments/guitars/pdn-neptune-blue.html[/url]

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1399626958' post='2445926']
Never really liked the look/shape of Bongos but this one is really cool!
[/quote]

Exactly what I thought...
Just needs to be available in oly white, and I'm in.

Edited by discreet

I never really 'got' the Bongo until I saw some decent hi res pictures of it from different angles. I then realised they looked very sleek and quite cool in a way.

From a playing point of view, the ergonomics are just superb.

I am tempted for a simple 4 H model....as they are quite rare anyway!

If these basses were in another colour I would pick the phone up and buy one this afternoon.

I love the Bongo ( as you well know Gareth) , and I totally agree that you really can't judge the looks until you have seen one in the flesh and then picked it up and played it, because in reality the curves and contours are actually quite beautiful and the sound and playability are sublime.

I liked the look of the Bongo from when I first saw a picture of one at the time they were introduced , and these ones are stunning, but I have an irrational aversion to blue basses. To me, it's just not a colour for a bass guitar that I would play myself . It's silly, I know , but it's true. Ninety nine people out 100 will swoon over the look of these basses, but I just couldn't live with the colour.

It's all the more disappointing because I bet the maple fingerboard , steel frets and mahogany body sound remarkable.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1399640053' post='2446172']
ANy idea on UK availability and price? I think I'm in love
[/quote]

You can order through most stores, as long as its before the window shuts (think its early June). :)

I'm checking with Promenade Music at the mo.

[/quote]

Phone Strings and Things and they will be only too glad to give you all the info . They very friendly and helpful, in my experience. You should be able to shop around and find an EBMM dealer that will do a good price.

I'm afraid I've succumbed to the GAS and am sorting out a Classic Sabre in this configuration as we speak!! Blue burst is one of my favourite colours.

A mahogany bodied Sabre with a gunstock oil and wax finished figured roasted maple neck sounds fabulous to me. The single H Bongo is also rather appealing.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1399645077' post='2446260']
I'm afraid I've succumbed to the GAS and am sorting out a Classic Sabre in this configuration as we speak!! Blue burst is one of my favourite colours.

A mahogany bodied Sabre with a gunstock oil and wax finished figured roasted maple neck sounds fabulous to me. The single H Bongo is also rather appealing.
[/quote]

Nice! I'd love to try a Sabre.

Can you PM me or put on thread what the 'upcharge' is for the fact its a PDN bass?

Cheers

[quote name='TolerancEJ' timestamp='1399664144' post='2446531']
I know I'm in the minority, but I like the Bongo design. And that is a beautiful PDN finish.
[/quote]

Don't think you're in the minority at all.
A while back I did think they looked a bit 'bog-seat', but I've got over it now. :)
I'd like to try a Bongo if anyone in SE London has got one.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399647512' post='2446293']

Can you PM me or put on thread what the 'upcharge' is for the fact its a PDN bass?

Cheers
[/quote]

I've PMd you.

No specific info as yet but via S and T and probably Andertons I'm looking to order on Monday - EBMM CS gave me a link to UK Premier Dealer Network list (there aren't many) - plus a contact if any problems.

Anyone else likely to order one of these? The Bongo looks great.

[/quote]

I hope nobody minds me posting this. Please let me know if you do. Merchant CIty Music are doing the new 2014 Music Man PDN in Neptune Blue. Happy to give you a quote and any more information. More info here:
https://www.guitar.co.uk/community/music-man-pdn-neptune-blue-2014/

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1399670668' post='2446639']
I've PMd you.

No specific info as yet but via S and T and probably Andertons I'm looking to order on Monday - EBMM CS gave me a link to UK Premier Dealer Network list (there aren't many) - plus a contact if any problems.

Anyone else likely to order one of these? The Bongo looks great.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399647512' post='2446293']

Cheers
[/quote]

Merchant City Music in Glasgow have a Music Man Sabre PDN in stock at the moment:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/music-man-classic-sabre-pdn-sledge-bass
It is one of the older PDN Sledge Bass finishes. Pretty stunning. Also happy to answer any questions and take an order for the Neptune Blue PDN. Happy to quote you a price.

[quote name='drewboy' timestamp='1399711480' post='2446835']

I hope nobody minds me posting this. Please let me know if you do. Merchant CIty Music are doing the new 2014 Music Man PDN in Neptune Blue. Happy to give you a quote and any more information. More info here:
https://www.guitar.co.uk/community/music-man-pdn-neptune-blue-2014/
[/quote]

Thanks and will be in touch.

The bongo is a funny beast for me, I don't like the look, but I can't look away! That finish combo is quite amazing really, there is one for sale on Facebook that is a bright orange and it just looks stunning. How do they sound to a stingray? I am assuming that they sound quite similar but have a little mire tonal variety due to extra controls?

Reportedly, the Bongo with only one humbucker will be able to come quite close to the StingRay sound. The others are said to be simply unable to do that.

From my noob perspective, the Bongo with two pickups does not have that typical rasp, and has a huge, fat, very detailed hi-fi sound. Thunderous.
I [i][b]said[/b][/i] noob!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1400178029' post='2451556']
The bongo is a funny beast for me, I don't like the look, but I can't look away! That finish combo is quite amazing really, there is one for sale on Facebook that is a bright orange and it just looks stunning. How do they sound to a stingray? I am assuming that they sound quite similar but have a little mire tonal variety due to extra controls?
[/quote]

Ive got two stingrays (a 93 2eq 4H and a pretty recent 4HH) and a 5HH Bongo. The bongo is a completely different beast to either. I think a big part of this is the basswood body and the electronics. It's got a bigger, punchier sound.

I was so tempted to order one of the 2014 PDNs as I LOVE my bongo but don't like the painted body and neck...the PDN edition would have solved this. But I just can't justify the extra outlay right now.

Edited by mingsta