Why become a member? ×

Seeking left handed EUB or are they easy to convert?

Kip Kersey

Yes, compared to EB an upright is easy to covert although I'd recommend you get the nut and bridge professionally cut and fitted. My old EUB had been converted to LH then back to RH. Be cautious in choosing an instrument however as there there may be specific models that won't convert or won't convert well (for example the Yamaha SLB-100 has the frame on the player side of the body, you would need to either play it without the frame or have a left handed frame built).

The advantages of buying an RH EUB is that there will be more choice (especially on the used market) and it will likely be easier to sell if you need to

Good luck

Chris

I would recommend getting a proper lefty EUB as opposed to converting. However, I have done both - I converted a cheap HB from righty to lefty (flipped the bridge upside down, filed the bridge grooves so the strings sit correctly, filed the nut, reversed the spacing bracket, etc.) and then I also bought a lefty 5-string upright (NS NXT5). Converting a righty isn't hard, but the job needs to be done properly or you will hit some niggles deriving from the work - strings buzzing, dodgy action, etc. Having a professional do the work will obviously help, but also add to the total cost.

As with lefty bass guitars, some convert easier than others dependent on their symmetry. I have a converted Stagg that cost me £200 and £60 for all the conversion work. Which I think is pretty good for what I needed. However, this was only ever meant to be a practice instrument for me - an approximation of my acoustic basses to play on where it wasn't practical to use the bigger, noisier fellas. If you're aiming for this to be your main instrument, I'd buy a true lefty. Even a well converted righty will most likely have a few drawbacks in terms of shape, location of rests, jack input etc.

• 4 weeks later...