Why become a member? ×

SOLD
£185

http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?Vl=4&Tp=2 here's the diameters
I've got these strings in medium and I love them, on my bass they have a fair bit more sustain and a more refined tone than cheaper guts like efranos and more thump than velvets innovations etc. mine have lasted better than I expected too

My main concern is tension over gig-time as I do slap quite a bit. Any thoughts?
Oh and by the way what kind of Gamuts are they: Lyon? Pistoy?
Thank you very much

Edited by Rabbie

I find the pitch drops a lot for the first month or so but then they settle down, I found that slapping hasn't made them drop in pitch dramatically more than pizz but I'm just getting into slap as most of my work is straight ahead. I'd assume the plain G and D are the Lyons. I tried a pistoy D and it didn't work for me , it's supposed to be a more modern sustaining string from what I read on talkbass but the Lyon was way better on my bass.

You are absolutely correct Spencer, The time to settle is common to all guts. The only slapping concern I have depends on not knowing what the term "medium+" means inn practical terms (I.e. when compared to regular non-boutique guts like the Lenzner). The fancy tension charts don't answer the question unfortunately. It just needs someone to have tried both and give an account of how the different tension feels. Of course I believe that Gamut has an infinitely more accomplished sound, but if my fingers were to hurt after every gigs/recording, they would still be no use to me, that's all.