Why become a member? ×

What kit do I need?

Leonard Smalls

I'm pretty new to all this home studio lark...
I've got a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 which comes with Ableton Lite, which I'm slwly coming to terms with.
However, as I'm quite enjoying it, I might need more kit...
Frinstance, I'd either like a limitless (!) drum sample library which I can then splice together to make drum tracks. Failing that, an easy way to make decent drums, bearing in mind that I'm not a drummer!
Not only that, but I'd like a sensible means of controlling virtual instruments, and preferably some way of sequencing.
As I got as far as grade 7 piano I'm OK on a keyboard, but don't really know what else I'll need. But I'm not made of money...
All thoughts greatly appreciated.

A midi keyboard controller is useful, and can get bought very cheaply.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, it's very nice.

I don't use Ableton, if you have a mac of some description, then you should have Garageband which is excellent, considering it's free, that has tons of drum and percussion loops.

There are loads of drum samples about , I have used drum machines , Drumcore 3 (free) , and currently playing with EZ drummer which was about £20.

I use Reaper as a DAW it is well supported with free plug ins and tutorials , and boy do I need them :blush:

I'm going to stick with Ableton for the mo as I don't want to learn another programme - my upgrade to the full version.
And I thought EZ drummer was £90ish? Do you need a special input device or does it have presets you can add to?
What about makes of keyboard, especially with sequencers on board?
Would I be better off just getting a drum machine?

^^^^^

These days you don't need a keyboard/midi controller with a sequencer onboard,
The DAW is the sequencer.
As for a Drum machine, same again, all programming can be done within the DAW.
This would just involve 'painting' in the notes, or indeed just using midi files.
Ableton is great for this stuff, so you are sorted on the DAW front.
Maybe check out all the great YouTube tutorial videos out there and you
Will be up and running pretty quickly.

Perhaps I need to upgrade to the full Ableton, as editing is a bit limited on the Lite version - or maybe I just haven't learned how to do it yet. Cut'n'paste copying of small sections of a track seems to be not possible!
I'm also tempted by a keyboard as well, simply to add other instruments without relying on a laptop keyboard and to enter drum patterns.

I keep promising - and failing! - to write a comprehensive thread on this subject. Once things calm down with work and moving house I'll put pen to paper, so to speak.

In the meantime here's another thread with a load of useful stuff to get you started:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234738-home-studio-guide-for-newbies/"]http://basschat.co.u...de-for-newbies/[/url]

If you have any specific questions, just ask :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1400054177' post='2450162']
PC only...
Still not sure about EZ Drummer; would I be better spending the money upgrading to Ableton intro for the extra tracks and sequencing capability?
And there's always Looperman!
[/quote]

The full version (3 variations I think) comes with drum samplers and software synths.
How many you get depends on what version level you upgrade to.
There are also add on sound and instrument packs you can purchase at any time as you go along.

Personally with what can be done in Ableton, both acoustically/electronically and virtual,
I would upgrade and maybe revisit Ez or another vendor at a later date.

The different versions.
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

Edited by lowdown

Yeah, Ableton is a good product.

I have the 'light' version (whatever it's called), which came bundled with a Focusrite interface, and I'm having fun playing with it.

I still use Reason for the bulk of my stuff... better the devil you know, etc... but Ableton has already started creeping into my workflow.

IMO, as Gary says, you'd be better off upgrading Ableton as you'll get a lot more bang for your buck$ that way.

I bought EZ drummer as a) my new computer is x64 and I struggled to make my drumcore work on it and B) I recall there was a silly offer on to shift EZdrummer 1 prior to the release of 2 , so it came for pennies effectively , and it will do me for a good while I would have thought .

It is a DAW, but it has a collection of virtual Instruments which includes drum racks and drum samplers.
The collection (if any) of midi files is nothing compared to EZ and others. But there are plenty knocking around
to purchase and indeed many free ones out there. Midi editing in Ableton is very flexible with plenty of tricks available.