Why become a member? ×

Professional Refinish on a Keeper Bass

funkle

Hi all

Looking for your collective wisdom.

Considering a professional refinish on a quilt maple top bass which is a keeper. To remain a burst maple quilt top, not to go to a solid colour. I'm looking for recommendations for a pro to do the work.

After trawling the forums, I have come up with a list of possibles, and need to know who does the best work, or who has at least the most recommendations. Cost is an issue, but doing a refin twice (if the first time it doesn't look right) is more expensive than getting it right the first time and paying for the proper job, so I'd prefer to go for quality every time.

The shortlist goes:

Sims Custom (Martin Sims)
CA Guitarworks
D Wilson Guitars (Dave Wilson)
TJC Guitarworks (Terry Chapman)
Moon Guitar Works (Jimmy Moon)
AJR Guitar mods
Rich Lewis (ou7shined on here)

I have already been in contact touch with everyone on the shortlist and had responses from the first 4 only. So the list may already be getting narrower.

Can I get your collective views on the quality of work and whom you would vote for?

EDIT: and pics, if you have them and are willing to share...

Thanks

Pete

Edited by funkle

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399926377' post='2449110']
Dave Wilson's work is second-to-none. He's a perfectionist.
[/quote]

He seems pretty 'on it' from our emails. You don't happen to have any pics of his work, do you? (Not stuff already on his website...had a gander already..)

AJR is a chap on here also (username is Andyjr1515). There's lots of pics of his work on his website www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk and he seems like a nice bloke from other threads he's been involved in: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235818-westone-thunder-3-fretless-fingerboard-refinish-help/

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1399926377' post='2449110']
Dave Wilson's work is second-to-none. He's a perfectionist.
[/quote]

I'm thinking of a refin (solid colour) on one of my J basses.... what kind of ball-park figure would we be looking at if he did the work? :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1400067513' post='2450357']
AJR is a chap on here also (username is Andyjr1515). There's lots of pics of his work on his website www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk and he seems like a nice bloke from other threads he's been involved in: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235818-westone-thunder-3-fretless-fingerboard-refinish-help/"]http://basschat.co.u...-refinish-help/[/url]
[/quote]

I emailed him...no response yet. So, he's not in the running currently.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400069965' post='2450402']
I'm thinking of a refin (solid colour) on one of my J basses.... what kind of ball-park figure would we be looking at if he did the work? :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't like to guess - it depends on the amount of prep etc. Drop him a message on FB!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1400083763' post='2450599']
I wouldn't like to guess - it depends on the amount of prep etc. Drop him a message on FB!
[/quote]

Yeah, it seems to be very job dependent.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1400079479' post='2450539']
Perhaps send him a PM on here?
[/quote]

May do so....but I've got a reasonable number of contenders who have responded, so I'm not particularly motivated to go PM'ing someone who hasn't responded through their own website.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1400067513' post='2450357']
AJR is a chap on here also (username is Andyjr1515). There's lots of pics of his work on his website www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk and he seems like a nice bloke from other threads he's been involved in: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235818-westone-thunder-3-fretless-fingerboard-refinish-help/
[/quote]

I can vouch for Andy being a top guy (since I am the owner of the Westone in the above thread) and I will be able to give you a personal review of his workmanship in a couple of weeks after he has worked his magic on the Westie. Judging by the work on his website though I can't wait to see the finished results.

It should be noted though that he has a full time job as well so it may be worth PM'ing him here as well and giving him a little time to get back to you as he may be away on business.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1400083763' post='2450599']
[/quote]

I don't (and won't!) use FB. I guessed it would be a movable feast, but was just wondering about a rough estimate. Are we talking under £100? Between £100 and £200? That sorta thing... :)

Cheapest quote I had from anybody was £225. Most expensive £400. A couple in between.

That's for complete stripping, sanding, refinishing, respraying and shipping back to me.

It really seems very job and company dependent.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400589463' post='2455160']
I don't (and won't!) use FB. I guessed it would be a movable feast, but was just wondering about a rough estimate. Are we talking under £100? Between £100 and £200? That sorta thing... :)
[/quote]

For some reason I was sure you were on FB! I'm losing my mind.

IME, you're looking at between £200 and £300... ish.

Hi, funkle

Basschat member Chris Sharman has just alerted me that you have been trying to contact me. For some crazy reason (probably me!) neither my ipad or iphone are picking up my ajrguitarmods mails. I HATE it when people don't answer emails so please accept my profuse apologies.

I have PM'd you and attached my personal email and phone number if you want to contact me, even just to talk though what you are trying to do.

I hear only good things about Martin Sims and Rich Lewis (ou7shined) and I am flattered to be on the same list as those guys. In reality, I think they are both probably better equipped than me to give you what you are looking for and would heartily endorse either. Having therefore stepped back from the contenders, if you want an unbiased chat through what it is involved in what you are trying to achieve, feel free to give me a call on the PM'd phone number.

Andy

Hello all (and Andy)

Just wanted to give props to Andy for getting back in touch with me. Our mutual schedules may not work out for getting the work done in a timely fashion, so I am electing to go with someone else, but Andy's email response to me was very generous/professional and it looks to me like he'd be a good guy to go to for future work. The photos of his stuff look stunning and he nice to deal with. His quote was reasonable too.

This time around though, it's going to Sims. Like I said, I'll try and get some before and after pics up at some point.

Pete

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1400751441' post='2456569']
Hello all (and Andy)

Just wanted to give props to Andy for getting back in touch with me. Our mutual schedules may not work out for getting the work done in a timely fashion, so I am electing to go with someone else, but Andy's email response to me was very generous/professional and it looks to me like he'd be a good guy to go to for future work. The photos of his stuff look stunning and he nice to deal with. His quote was reasonable too.

This time around though, it's going to Sims. Like I said, I'll try and get some before and after pics up at some point.

Pete
[/quote]

Good choice, Pete - I think you'll be very pleased with Sims work.

Let us know how it goes

Andy

• 1 month later...

Ok, just feeding back. Got my bass back from Sims and the job was just great. Really great.

Went from this blue...

[attachment=167254:Iphone 1189.JPG]

To this blue....

[attachment=167257:1-IMG_3315.JPG] [attachment=167258:2-IMG_3318.JPG]

Couldn't be more happy. Sims asked me to send physical pics which showed the correct colour (as well as the pics I originally emailed) because they wanted to be certain about the colour they were aiming for. Spot on.

Expensive, but would recommend. Job took 6 weeks, exactly what I was quoted.

Pete