Why become a member? ×

Korg rack tuner pitchblack pro

Jonesy64

Anyone using one?

Thinking about getting one but bit worried that the blue strobe strip will be a bit too much of a cheesy light show going on behind me while I am playing!!

I assume it is still in a tuning mode while playing unlike a pedal tuner that is either off or on?

I've been using one for 4-5 months. It's effective, easy to see and use so can't fault it. It's always on when you are playing and there are different display modes to choose from. I don't think it looks cheesy at all (IMO) but, to be fair, it's behind me so I'm not looking at it all of the time. ;-)

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1399933017' post='2449215']
Thanks Gaz, so does it just settle down into one of the blue strips of light flitting back and forth across the display it you are in regular mode?

Turn around and have a look please :-)
[/quote]

I use the regular tuning mode as per the first option on the video in the earlier post which has a static green line and moving blue line which disappears when you are bang on the note. The other two are strobe type modes that were too 'busy' for my taste. ;)

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me out with the Pitchblack Pro please?

Looking to order one tomorrow for my rack with the intention of downsizing my pedalboard and I'm not 100% sure how to wire it up. At the moment my signal chain is as follows:

Bass -> Rack Wireless -> Pedal Tuner -> Effects -> Amp

Should I be able to do the following? Bass -> Rack Wireless -> connected to input 2 at the back of the Korg with a small patch cable then output to -> Effects -> Amp?

Works in theory but Input 2 at the back is supposedly line level whereas Input 1 at the front is instrument level. I want all cabling to be done round the back if possible, would using a line level input cause me problems?

I'd like to know a little more about the practicalities of the Pitchblack Pro too, and hook one up in a similar way to Tom's idea.
Does the mute button still work if the input on the back of the tuner is being used?
Surely one of the mode settings should've been to bypass the tuner? My rig has enough flashing lights already. Having a tuner doing its thing constantly may be a step too far on the good-taste front!

Any opinions on the DTR2000? I may hold out for that model instead.

I've got mine wired up: MB Fusion Tuner out > Tuner In (back). Therefore the tuner mute isn't effective. I'll use the mute button on the amp when i want to tune. But that way I can put the tuner in standby and only switch it on when I want to tune up. It won't affect the signal because of the way I'm using it. Not ideal because I have to press 2 buttons to tune up (one to mute the amp, and then to switch the tuner on). It would be better if the MB Fusion had a mute footswitch, but I really don't think it's too much hasle.

The alternative would have been to plug my bass into the tuner and the output (from the tuner) into the amp at the front. Then the tuner mute would be effective. But it wouldn't have been as neat. And I don't know whether the signal continues to the amp if you put the tuner in standyby - I'll check next time I'm using it.

I also havent investigated whether I can plug the output from the tuner into the amp at the back - I don't think so, but any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Kirky.
My amp mute switch is at the preamp stage, so mutes the input. Otherwise I'd do the same as you. So I wouldn't have the option of putting the tuner on standby, and turning it on and muting the amp to tune up. I'd have to have the tuner as first in the chain, rather than using the tuner out/in option.
I guess the only option I'd have would be to have the tuner first, then the amp, and tolerate the light display going on behind.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to this thread everyone, I bit the bullet and went out and bought one.

I've set it up exactly how I planned; my wireless receiver is first in my chain, then into Input 2 at the back of the Korg, then to my pedals, then to my amp. Works brilliantly, the mute button on the tuner works as it should, no degradation in quality or loss of tone, and I've got the cool light show going on behind me. Very happy with it.

• 1 month later...