Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN please remove
£6750

[b]Bryant Double Bass Soloist Model[/b]

Up for sale is my Paul Bryant Double Bass, soloist model.

Paul is well known for making fantastic double basses in the English/Italian style and has recently retired. I’ve been fortunate to commission and own 3 of his basses and each one has been amazing and a delight to play!

Recently I had a opportunity to purchase a Pollmann bass and unfortunately I don’t really have room for 2 basses, so regrettably the Bryant has to find a new home.

Paul describes his soloist model as,
“A great little bass, with classic Italian styling, good for Arco work, jazz, or general gigging. Compact and easy to transport, but with a big sound, a very versatile bass.”

I’ve used this bass in all kinds of settings, big classical symphonies, chamber music, solo recitals, recordings, jazz groups of all sorts and music theatre/pit work and I’ve always been very happy with how great it sounds and plays. Also I’m amazed at how the bass holds up against others that are bigger and much more expensive.

The particulars for this one are as follows:

length of back: 43”
string length: 41”
rib depth: 8 1/2” (8 3/4’s at the widest point on the lower bout)
upper bout: 20”
lower bout: 25 1/2”
varnish is red, golden, brown
swell back of lightly flamed maple (most of Paul’s basses are flat back and plainer wood)
sides of medium flame maple
neck and scroll of highly flamed maple
front of medium grained Sitka spruce
comes with a certificate of authenticity

Paul recently valued the bass at £7000.

Sale price is [s][b]£6750[/b][/s] [b]New Price £6250[/b] (sorry no trades)

Other soloist models do come up for sale from time to time at slightly lower prices but this particular one has several more things going for it; swell back rather than flat (costs a lot more to make in the first place), much more flamed wood than is usual for a Bryant bass, it’s been played in a lot and the sound has really matured, improvement works by Malcolm Healey, and in his recent valuation Paul said that this bass was ‘one of the better ones’.

The bass comes with a David Gage Realist pick up installed and a light soft case.

You’re very welcome to come over and try the bass and any questions please do ask.

[attachment=162615:front 1.jpg]

[attachment=162616:front 2.jpg]

[attachment=162617:back.jpg]

[attachment=162618:side 2.jpg]

[attachment=162619:side 1.jpg]

[attachment=162620:scroll 2.jpg]

[attachment=162621:neck 1.jpg]

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Ian Davies

Hi Ian,
I'd like to give this a try at some point.
I'll be straight about my position, I have 2 basses which I'd need to move on, a blockless wonder and a factory carved 1920s german flatback.
I'd want to be able to record the bass in a bit of context if possible as despite being a little quiet acoustically my blockless records fantastically well so it would have to match that.
So really I'm not in the best position as a buyer but would still like to give it a try and if all lined up and I liked it then :D :D :D .
I'm in London all week until june 8th doing a show, where are you based?
Jake

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Hi Jake

Good to hear from you, thanks for your message.

The bass is currently at my parents house in Chessington Surrey (40 mins train from London Waterloo). These days I'm based in Wales but I'm actually visiting my parents at the moment and I'll be here today and tomorrow, if you wanted to have a go on the bass now would be a great time, of course we can arrange a time when I'm not here but if you had any questions it'll be easier when I'm there.

PM me for my phone number.

I've used the bass on many recordings and it's really great, either with the Realist pick up or with a large diaphram condenser mic.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Davies

Hi Jake

I'm heading back to Wales this morning but we can still arrange a time for you to try the bass whenever you like (please note my internet in Wales isn't great so it may take a while for me to reply now).

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I literally can't believe this is still for sale. Considering how many of his bass's are slowly appearing in top orchestra's around Europe. Also the prices there starting to sell for in the states. Good luck with the sale. I'd love to have it to go along with my John Lott Bryant.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1407244078' post='2518682'] I literally can't believe this is still for sale. Considering how many of his bass's are slowly appearing in top orchestra's around Europe. Also the prices there starting to sell for in the states. Good luck with the sale. I'd love to have it to go along with my John Lott Bryant. [/quote]

Thanks very much :)

I've tried Paul's Lott basses and they are fantastic, a real classic English orchestral bass, it must be a real treat to play every day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1427215307' post='2727364'] I love mine, wouldn't be rid of it for anything! [/quote]

Yes, it's a great bass and a difficult decision to part with it but I have a few now so have got to make a bit of space :)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...